Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does Bruce Arians know that you don’t know?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: What does Bruce Arians know that you don’t know?

Whats next an article about how we didnt score in the RedZone so we could rest the Special Teams players?

Legend

User Info Menu

I didn't completely hate the bubble screen as much as most. With Wallace, I thought it was particularly effective in that you take away some of the ability of the D to play a big cushion. Like many, I wasn't a big fan of the timing or frequency of the play, or the fact that the Steelers never seemed to effectively use it to set up anything else.

As for Arians, these articles miss a few points. Assuming that you wanted to slow down the offense to give the D a breather, was part of the plan not to score in the red zone? Or to throw deep routes instead of more quick slants? Or the empty backfields on third and short to make sure that the defense could go into complete attack mode?

Arians did some nice things with the design of some of his route combinations, but you never saw him adjust or effectively set up a defense the way that other coordinators will.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't agree with a lot of it, but it does say a little about Bruce that Pagano hired him as OC.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I don't buy the whole 'defense needed rest' excuse. Sure, if you are getting murdered where TOP is like a 6 minute mismatch then your D will be overworked, but get real....As far as I can tell we have one, maybe two defenders over .300 lbs and on offense we have 5 plus David Johnson goes about 270, same size as Keisel.
    I agree but I've heard Troy say it all the time.... and in 2009 when we were pass happy the number one complaint was not giving the D rest and this is why they stunk in the 4th quarter.

The bubble screen average is hilarious though.... never liked it with Hines but the 6.2 average is another stat that proves fans see what they want to see. I guess it was the "timing" of the play call but it sure looked like a play designed to hide a bad OL.
    That and the one bubble screen that went horribly wrong against Baltimore that Suggs returned for a TD or close to one.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Having watched Arians for years, it's clear he's smart. He does a lot of interesting things with formations. And he attacks downfield more than anyone which I'm sure is an approach based on the odds. And I bet he might not do it as much if he didn't have this beast in Ben that was so good at making time to make these plays down field.

And players and staff seem to like him. I would have liked to keep him in a lesser role. I just think his weakness was in execution. He overthought things. And the smart things he did, hurt the offense from getting into a rhythm. So I think change will be good here. We can take the good from Arians and tweak it to make it better.

And on the flip side of this argument, isn't it about time for Lebeau to consider changing his defensive philosophy to account for the emerging offensive NFL?

What if we allowed Ben to get into a rhythm. What if we allowed him to get more aggressive and run a no huddle as the staple of the O?

Maybe it's time to consider, O is more important in todays NFL. And maybe DL needs to think about how his defense can withstand being on the field longer. Instead of making the new OC be hindered by the way the D is set up.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    And on the flip side of this argument, isn't it about time for Lebeau to consider changing his defensive philosophy to account for the emerging offensive NFL?
    Weren't the Steelers #1 in pass D?

Imagine how things could have looked with a healthy Harrison and a healthy Woodley posting their usual double digit sack totals...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is so stupid to even think the offense was trying to do the defense a favor. I have no doubt that quick scoring can put our defense on the field quicker but, to even suggest Arians was trying to take his time on the field to rest up the defense is over the top.

Maybe he could rest the defense by scoring or not turning the ball over ? How about some ball control with some running plays and especially when we would come up against a team that couldn't stop the run ?

It is a sad day when that idiot Arians has to be the brains for the defense too

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    That is so stupid to even think the offense was trying to do the defense a favor. I have no doubt that quick scoring can put our defense on the field quicker but, to even suggest Arians was trying to take his time on the field to rest up the defense is over the top.

Maybe he could rest the defense by scoring or not turning the ball over ? How about some ball control with some running plays and especially when we would come up against a team that couldn't stop the run ?

It is a sad day when that idiot Arians has to be the brains for the defense too
    There are times offenses around the attempt to get defenses rest.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You know what does a defense good? When the offense hangs 28-35 points on teams so backups can get in more and so the opposition is forced into catchup mode so the D can pin it's ears back & blitz!

We close the deal early on vs. Denver & score TD's instead of FG's and keep piling on instead of shutting it down and suddenly our D is blitzing the crap out of Tebow instead of maintaining the LOS worrying about his legs.

I think we put 2 teams away this season, the Titans & the Rams & Batch QB'd against the Rams. We went away from the quick strike offense against the Pats & there was Brady with the win in sight & the ball in his hands.
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":rpetf87l
    I don't buy the whole 'defense needed rest' excuse. Sure, if you are getting murdered where TOP is like a 6 minute mismatch then your D will be overworked, but get real....As far as I can tell we have one, maybe two defenders over .300 lbs and on offense we have 5 plus David Johnson goes about 270, same size as Keisel.
    I agree but I've heard Troy say it all the time.... and in 2009 when we were pass happy the number one complaint was not giving the D rest and this is why they stunk in the 4th quarter.

The bubble screen average is hilarious though.... never liked it with Hines but the 6.2 average is another stat that proves fans see what they want to see. I guess it was the "timing" of the play call but it sure looked like a play designed to hide a bad OL.
    How many bubble screens did you see nearly get picked off, or picked off? The bubble screen cost us home field. People point to the D letting the Ravens drive down the field but the offense is just as responsible for it. How about Ben throwing a pick right to T-Siz when we are in the redzone on the bubble screen. Talk about being oblivious to the D...Ben threw the ball right at Siz chest!!!??? With some of the throws Ben makes I swear he has blind spots from the motorcycle wreck. How about the pick vs. the Pats where there was one linebacker standing by himself with nobody else around, including an offensive player, for 20 yards yet Ben throws a strike right into his chest.[/quote:rpetf87l]

Hello,

My first post.

I read an interview recently with Suggs and they talked about that play. According to Suggs he caught a wink or nod between Wallace and Ben and decided to stay put instead of rushing the passer and the result was that int.