Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Sumo Wrestlers Out There?

Legend

User Info Menu

Any Sumo Wrestlers Out There?

Wonder if we'd consider bringing in a Sumo wrestler to replace Hampton? or as a potential RG?

Could a 350-400lb Sumo fighter take on 2-3 blockers at the point of attack and clog the middle of the field? Some of these guys are impressive athletes. And may not be conditioned for 60 snaps a game (neither are most NTs bt the way).

But could it work with a year of training?

Sumos have incredible balance, power, leverage, hand fighting. Not sure any would have enough speed to play anywhere other than NT or RG. But why not give something like this a try?

Look at how Haselrig worked out for us coming from being a wrestler.

We should at least send some scouts to look at the Sumos to see if there are any good candidates out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Any Sumo Wrestlers Out There?

Come playoff time, they would freeze their timbits playing in a diaper at Heinz Field in January.

I still think the Penguins should get the world's fattest man to be their goalie.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Come playoff time, they would freeze their timbits playing in a diaper at Heinz Field in January.

I still think the Penguins should get the world's fattest man to be their goalie.
    LOL

I saw one of those sports science shows and where they tested a Sumo as a goalie. He didn't even react to shots and was so easy to score on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

LOL

I saw one of those sports science shows and where they tested a Sumo as a goalie. He didn't even react to shots and was so easy to score on.
    Not a sumo...one of those guys that can't even leave his bedroom without cutting a hole in the wall and using a crane. One of the 1000+ pounders who would completely cover the entire net. He wouldn't even need to move at all.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL

Not a sumo...one of those guys that can't even leave his bedroom without cutting a hole in the wall and using a crane. One of the 1000+ pounders who would completely cover the entire net. He wouldn't even need to move at all.
    We'd need to go back to the Civic Arena so we could drop the guy in through the roof.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I saw a documentary on the world's top Sumo wrester (at the time). The dude weight about 300 pounds. They showed him running a sprint with one of his trainers who was about 200 pounds and he easily beat the trainer.

Yes, I think Sumos could play, but it would be limited snaps and would have to be at NT with the idea that he could blow up the center with decent percentage.

On the other hand, I think some of those top competitors at the "World's Strongest Man" could play NT. In the 2011 competition, the RUNNER UP, Zydrunas Savickas, won the deadlift competition at 972 pounds, and that, after blowing some stash at 954.

I think you could take any one of those guys from the top tier and they could easily blow up any NFL center consistently.

Remember Harrison bull-rushing Oher in last year's divisional playoff and driving him back 4 or 5 yards? Harrison is about a 500 bencher and 650 squatter. That would put his deadlift around 730. Now imagine a guy who weighs 130 pounds more than Harrision and who can deadlift 250 pounds more than Harrison bull-rushing Michael Oher, a first-round pick. Not even on the same stage strength-wise.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LOL

They could at least give him a trial at WBS and see what he could do. How would one of those guys do on skates, I wonder. I'd like to see a sumo on DTWStars.

Legend

User Info Menu

flip, you've complain about the lack of pressure from the front 7 for a few years now, despite us being near the top of the league with sacks and you want to bring in a guy who's never played football to play on the DL?

c'mon man

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I say we just flip Kemo to the defensive side of the ball at NT. He has a mean streak already and can hold all he wants.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a Sumo yet, but after I quit smoking awhile back I have gained some weight

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.