Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of options at NT outside of the draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: A couple of options at NT outside of the draft

Yea, I didn't miss that option as I think Hood is probably a logical choice at NG. However, then we'll still need to find a DE in FA. Either way, after we get down under the cap were gonna have to look at some. I would suspect once they start cutting some of these salaries, we'll get down under the cap pretty fast.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Backup

User Info Menu

If Hood can rarely even handle single blockers as an end in a 3-4 with poor leverage, insufficient lower body strength, intelligence, technique and motor,....how exactly is he going to suddenly become a stud as the spearhead and or heart of a 3-4 defense at NT ?
    1) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

2) Miles Burris, LB San Diego State

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

4) Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal

5) Blake Gideon, F/S, Texas

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Watch the game closer. Hood has all ready played some NT in passing situations. But I am sure he did a terrible job.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden
    If Hood can rarely even handle single blockers as an end in a 3-4 with poor leverage, insufficient lower body strength, intelligence, technique and motor,....how exactly is he going to suddenly become a stud as the spearhead and or heart of a 3-4 defense at NT ?
    Here is my thinking...

Hood is/was/always-will-be a 4-3 DT. He is out of position as a 3-4 DE. And he is out of position as a 3-4 NT. But the lesser of two evils is at NT. He is 6'3" 300 pounds. IMO he does not have enough length or speed to beat these 6'6" 320 pound OT's with pass rush moves, so he is stuck bull rushing the OT's a vast majority of the time, which has proven to be ineffective both at generating pressure or drawing double teams.

When Hood plays on the inside he typically finds himself facing 6'1"-6'4" OG's and OC's, which is a much more favorable match up. And while he doesn't anchor against the run as well as Hampton, he does generate a better bull rush than Hampton, and is certainly a better pass rusher one on one with his initial quickness, and rip/swim moves than Hampton.

This is now a passing league. The days of needing a big NT to stuff the run on first and second down are quickly fading. I believe we are a more effective defense with a lighter quicker NT. Again, I'm not saying Hood is some pro-bowl caliber NT. I'm saying he is more effective on the inside than on the outside, and he's ready to play there RIGHT NOW, whereas anyone we draft will probably be a year away.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like these options.

C-town
    Help me find my post proving I am a Yinzer!

My early 2024 draft:

1.) OC - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C - Oregon
    2.) DL -Ruke Orhorhoro, DL, Clemson
    3.) WR - Nathaniel Dell, WR - Houston
    4a.) OT - Matt Goncalves, ROT - Pitt
    4b.) S -Tykee Smith - S - Georgia
    6A.) CB - Shon Stephensl - D - Ferris State
    6B..) DT - Jamree Kromah DT James Madison

UDFA: P, WR, QB, TE

We don't apologize for winning!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    Nose Tackle is quickly becoming a big time need for us. I like Mclendon, but don't think you can count on him as a full time starter unless he makes a big time jump again this year.

By all accounts he is an animal in the weight room. He apparently is a very hard worker in the film room as well. Mclendon recently told Wexell that he weighs 320lbs.

With Hampton's knee requiring surgery, he is a goner. The Steelers can't wait to see if he will be healthy enough by camp. This will have been his third ACL injury.

Nose Tackle will be addressed by the draft or outside the draft. I think there are two really intriguing options to pursue if we can clear some cap space.

Paul Soliai (MIA) - NT

A very good NT with the Dolphins. I think him and Mclendon could form a very formidable duo at the position. I also don't think he will break the bank. Like Hampton he is a pure run stopper. He had 27 combined tackles this year with no sacks.

Aubrayo Franklin (NO) - NT

After generating very little interest in FA last year, he signed a one year deal with the Saints. He is a very capable 3-4 NT, and was franchised at least once with the 49'ers because he was that good of a run stuffer. I do not think he will generate a ton of interest in Free Agency again this year.

I only see two early round options in the draft for a potential NT with Chapman blowing an ACL:

Dontari Poe- He is a sure fire first rounder and should be in range. He could be our own version of Ngata in 2 years.
    Alamad Ta'amu His is less of a sure thing, and is looking more and more like a 2nd rounder.

This is becoming a bigger and bigger need.
    Does Ngata come out on passing downs? If you've got a big guy who can collapse the pocket and generate some rush, even if it's just straight ahead bull rush, to occupy interior linemen, you've got a cornerstone for a very physical defense. I know Baltimore spent a very high pick (It was a 12, IIRC) on Ngata. If we can get a player who has a good chance of being comparable in impact late in the 1st, I'm listening.
    he was dfraft in the top 10. #8 if i recall correctly.

someone who compares to ngata isnt dropping past the top 10. thats wishful thinking

Legend

User Info Menu

We might have to roll with Keisel, Hood, and Heyward as our starting 3.

I like McClendon in a rotation and as a backup.

Overall, given what we have right now, we just need for Heyward to be a beast. And I'd consider drafting a NT and DE for the long haul.