Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Banks NFL Mock Draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don Banks NFL Mock Draft

[url="http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/26/mock-draft/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2"]http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/don_banks ... =hp_t11_a2[/url]

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Cordy Glenn, OG-OT, Georgia. The Steelers are being given Memphis DT Dontari Poe in plenty of mocks, and he makes sense as a replacement for veteran Casey Hampton, who is coming off ACL surgery. But have you seen the state of the Steelers' offensive line the past two seasons? Until convinced otherwise, we consider Pittsburgh's OL issues to be its top priority.

I dont believe Glenn is there at 24 but if this were to happen, I sure would be happy.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Don Banks NFL Mock Draft

would you be happy with poe? A lot of people seem split on him
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    At 24? I dont know about that. The guy I think is a better fit for NT is Brandon Thompson. I would feel a lot better with Poe if we were getting him at 30-35.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler

DONTARI POE DT, Memphis

2011 GRADE: 6.8 D HT: 6-5 WT: 350

Nationalfootballpost Scouting Report

What I like…

- A tall, well put together 350-pound lineman who carries his weight well and doesn't possess much soft flesh.

- Displays a physically put together lower half as well. Is strong through the base, legs and calves and honestly can play at 350. Has a Haloti Ngata type build.

- Is a monster in the weight room. Puts in the time off the field to get better/stronger.

- Showcases natural bend when sitting into his stance. Keeps his base down well off the football and can gain leverage initially due to pad level.

- Exhibits a "plus" first step for his size. Showcases the ability to get into opposing linemen quickly and keep his pad level down in the process.

- Demonstrates a natural snap through the hips and can simply overwhelm his man with the generated force/power he's' able to create into contact.

- Showcases the ability to keep his pad level down through contact when trying to knife his way into the backfield vs. the run game. With ease fights his way through contact.

- Is a bear to move inside, showcases "plus" natural power, can sit low into contact and with ease hold the point of attack.

- Displays some nimbleness as a pass rusher. Can use his foot quickness to change directions quickly in tight areas and push his way through contact once he gains a step.

- Exhibits a clever/concise spin move where he can slip blocks and get into the backfield in pass rushing situations.

- Demonstrates the power and flexibility to gain leverage and consistently push the pocket inside at the next level.

- Exhibits above average range for his size off his frame and will chase in pursuit.

- Displays good snap awareness for the most part and is routinely one of the first linemen firing off the ball.

- The upside with this guy is tremendous. Has the skill set to anchor a defense inside as a 34 or 43 nose.

- Seems like a hungry kid who is willing to put in the work and develop at his trade.

What I don't like…

- Doesn't take a positive first step off the football in either the run or pass game. Needs to do a better job maximizing his first step in order to reset the line of scrimmage, wastes too much motion.

- Needs to do a better job finding the football. Doesn't consistently decipher information quickly and put himself around the action.

- Needs to learn to extend his arms consistently at the point and use his hands better. Too often gets caught playing short armed into contact.

- Is forced to get upright through contact when trying to shed because he doesn't gain leverage and extend his arms well initially into the play.

- When trying to extend his arms initially into contact vs. the run game, he tends to get doubled over more at the waist and doesn't play with the same type of bend, causing him to struggle with balance/power through the play.

- Isn't a real sudden pass rusher. Showcases some nimbleness, but gets caught popping upright through contact when trying to avoid blocks, which limits his power.

- Doesn't possess a great burst once he gains a step when truing to close quickly on the football.

- Showcases the willingness to work in pursuit, but the motor will cool off at times.

- Hasn't ever been real productive because of his lacking technique and ability to consistently find the football. Is a boom or bust kind of player.

Impression: Has a rare physical skill set due to his combination of flexibility, power and get off burst. However, he's still learning the nuances of the position. If he's willing to put in the time, Poe can mature into one of the leagues better interior presences. Nevertheless, because he's raw his floor isn't overly high either.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=42324"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/col ... ayer=42324[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All these negatives listed for Poe are some of my concerns as well. His height can tend to be a liability at NT. A position that requires leverage. Also being as big as he is (arm length), tends to be a negative there as well. Now one thing I will say, he is a very strong man.

Keep an eye on NC NT Tydreke Powell.

Legend

User Info Menu

poe doesnt fit the direction we've been drafting lately

early at least.

memphis isnt a big time college program

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    poe doesnt fit the direction we've been drafting lately

early at least.

memphis isnt a big time college program
    This is something everyone needs to keep in mind. Also what is his age? Steelers like em young.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    All these negatives listed for Poe are some of my concerns as well. His height can tend to be a liability at NT. A position that requires leverage. Also being as big as he is (arm length), tends to be a negative there as well. Now one thing I will say, he is a very strong man.

What do you think of Hebron Fangupo as late round UFA type?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob

What do you think of Hebron Fangupo as late round UFA type?
    The USC transfer. I gotta be honest I didnt see much of him while he was at BYU. I know when he first came to USC he was highly touted. But he got hurt and never got the real chance to show much.

Legend

User Info Menu

only saw Powell play a couple of times but when I did he got pushed around because he doesn't keep his pad level down low enough. blockers were able to consistently get underneath him and drive him backwards.

I wonder if this is something an NFL coach can correct or is it too late if a DL doesn't know how to do that by the time they are out of college?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha