Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Banks NFL Mock Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Don Banks NFL Mock Draft

What did I say? Keep an eye on my mock draft........

1. Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia/ Height: 6-5. Weight: 348.

He's a huge dude that got beat some this year playing tackle but before that he was an awesome Guard and thats where we are going to use him. Since we may be going back to "Steelers Football" he'll be a welcomed addition to the run game as he has been know to move mountains only using his eye lashes.

2. Dontari Poe*, NT, Memphis/ Height: 6-5. Weight: 350.

He eats a lot....of space and can still make plays when double teamed. He is the long term answer we need after Casey is gone.

3. Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt/ Height: 5-11. Weight: 188.

He was all over the field making plays and ints. to start the year but cooled down in the 2nd half of the season. Has great potential and we can never have enough good CB's.

4. Audie Cole, ILB, North Carolina State/ Height: 6-5. Weight: 239.

What impresses me is he led the team in tackles his JUNIOR year as an OLB. Versatility is a good thing.

5. Joel Foreman, G, Michigan State/ Height: 6-4. Weight: 310.

Because we need more help here

6. Cody Johnson, FB, Texas/ Height: 5-11. Weight: 250.

We need one now that Brucey is gone. Might as well get one in the draft.

7. Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M/ Height: 5-9. Weight: 212.

We need one of these too.........
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    height can tend to be a liability at NT. A position that requires leverage.
    Exactly. Generally the only players that defy this "rule" are more often than not exceptional "freaks".
    1) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

2) Miles Burris, LB San Diego State

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

4) Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal

5) Blake Gideon, F/S, Texas

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Keep an eye on NC NT Tydreke Powell.

only saw Powell play a couple of times but when I did he got pushed around because he doesn't keep his pad level down low enough. blockers were able to consistently get underneath him and drive him backwards.

I wonder if this is something an NFL coach can correct or is it too late if a DL doesn't know how to do that by the time they are out of college?
    I agree with the Hawaiian gentleman. Powell plays a decent game penetrating. But, too often I've seen him pushed backward by a single blocker in the run game. He does not anchor well at all. Perhaps he could learn, but I'm not impressed with what I saw in a few games this season.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":2imrjk2i
    All these negatives listed for Poe are some of my concerns as well. His height can tend to be a liability at NT. A position that requires leverage. Also being as big as he is (arm length), tends to be a negative there as well. Now one thing I will say, he is a very strong man.

What do you think of Hebron Fangupo as late round UFA type?
    The USC transfer. I gotta be honest I didnt see much of him while he was at BYU. I know when he first came to USC he was highly touted. But he got hurt and never got the real chance to show much.[/quote:2imrjk2i]

I've seen Fangupo play a few times this year. I've taken some notes.
    vs Tulsa-Plays in a 3/4. Plays DE & NT, mostly DE. Good athlete, moves well. Pursues QB to sideline for T. Strong, gets push, but dsn't hold POA. Splits dbl team with quickness and strong hands. Doesn't anchor well against double team if he can't penetrate.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub][quote=BigRob][quote="Dee Dub":20pc5s46]All these negatives listed for Poe are some of my concerns as well. His height can tend to be a liability at NT. A position that requires leverage. Also being as big as he is (arm length), tends to be a negative there as well. Now one thing I will say, he is a very strong man.

Keep an eye on NC NT Tydreke Powell.[/quote]

What do you think of Hebron Fangupo as late round UFA type?[/quote]

The USC transfer. I gotta be honest I didnt see much of him while he was at BYU. I know when he first came to USC he was highly touted. But he got hurt and never got the real chance to show much.[/quote:20pc5s46]

I have not seen Fangupo play but Steelers seem to do well with Mountain Region D-linemen. Maybe they should look for D-line from that region.

Scouting Report:

[url="http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2011/11/hebron-fangupo-scouting-reports.html"]http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3 ... ports.html[/url]

"A former JUCO kid who transferred from USC to BYU following the 2010 season. Is a raw kid who finally has learned to sit into his stance, play with his base down and fire off the football. However, despite his shorter frame still gets upright off the ball and will struggle with leverage at times in the run game.

Plays in a 34 front at BYU where he is the five-technique and asked to two gap. Is a naturally powerful kid and even when he gets upright is still a bear to move off the football. Exhibits a little suddenness at times when asked to use his hands to shed blocks when run at.

But his high pad level makes it tough for him to maintain balance and breakdown on blocks off his frame. However, possesses the natural strength to anchor inside, just needs to learn to play a bit lower off the snap and keep his pad level down into contact.

Is limited as a pass rusher. Exhibits the power and motor to overpower on contact and get a good punch at the point of attack.

Will extend his arms at times in order to create a punch and is a decent athlete on stunts on the edge. However, doesn't have the burst to slip blocks once he gains a step because of his pad level and isn't real sudden laterally, more of a linear guy.

Impression: A naturally strong kid with a great attitude and work rate. Needs to improve pad level, but has the kind of natural power and work ethic to make it with some time."
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really disagree with taking a NT in the first. We've already invested firsts on Ziggy and Cam. One would hope that sticking anyone (e.g. McLendon) in between two first round picks would be AT LEAST sufficient to get by on. Unless you're already conceding that Hood &/or Heyward are disappointments.

Not to say that we don't need a Nose, or other DL. Just saying investing 3 first-round picks in the last four years into this area of the team that doesn't do much besideds tie up blockers seems like a waste.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    I really disagree with taking a NT in the first. We've already invested firsts on Ziggy and Cam. One would hope that sticking anyone (e.g. McLendon) in between two first round picks would be AT LEAST sufficient to get by on. Unless you're already conceding that Hood &/or Heyward are disappointments.

Not to say that we don't need a Nose, or other DL. Just saying investing 3 first-round picks in the last four years into this area of the team that doesn't do much besideds tie up blockers seems like a waste.
    I tend to agree with this. Obviously every team wants a great NT, but 3 first round picks on the DL? In a 3-4? Who's usually only on the field for two downs anyway? Where the DL is just supposed to draw double teams and hold their ground so LB's can make the plays?

Imagine if we spent 3 first round picks on the OL. Can you imagine how much more effective our run game would be? Mendenhall wouldn't know what what to do. He'd be like, "How come I'm not getting hit in the backfield? Why is there a gaping hole in the line of scrimmage? Is this a trick?" And imagine if Ben had an extra couple of seconds on every single passing play. He would shred teams apart. Our problem is scoring. We should be spending top picks on prospects who can help us get POINTS.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe

i was saying that after we drafted cam.

i'd go nuts if they take a NT in the 1st round

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

only saw Powell play a couple of times but when I did he got pushed around because he doesn't keep his pad level down low enough. blockers were able to consistently get underneath him and drive him backwards.

I wonder if this is something an NFL coach can correct or is it too late if a DL doesn't know how to do that by the time they are out of college?
    I agree with the Hawaiian gentleman. Powell plays a decent game penetrating. But, too often I've seen him pushed backward by a single blocker in the run game. He does not anchor well at all. Perhaps he could learn, but I'm not impressed with what I saw in a few games this season.

I am talking about keeping an eye out for Powell for two reasons, one, he could be a mid-round value pick (3rd or 4th), and two, I've heard from someone the Steelers were talking a lot to the N.C. Football coaching staff about him.

Not becuase I want him in roud 1 or 2.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You dont take a NT in round because of one reason and one reason only. Because at 24 there isnt one in this draft who is worthy of that pick. But believe you me, if there was a Hiloti Ngata there, regardless of what you drafted lately, you take him.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash