Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line types that we need....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Offensive Line types that we need....

Are biggest weakness as been the offensive line so..
    What kind of Offensive line do we need?

Lets look at past Offensive lines from teams that have been Epic..

hogs from 1983 is my favorite.

Feel free to list your favorite, this is mine....

The original Hogs
    Joe Jacoby: Position: T-G Height: 6-7 Weight: 305 lbs.
    George Starke: Position: T Height: 6-5 Weight: 260 lbs.
    Russ Grimm: Position: G-C Height: 6-3 Weight: 273 lbs.
    Mark May: Position: G-T-C Height: 6-6 Weight: 295 lbs.
    Jeff Bostic: Position: C Height: 6-2 Weight: 268 lbs.
    Don Warren: Position: TE Height: 6-4 Weight: 242 lbs.
    Rick Walker: Position: TE Height: 6-4 Weight: 235 lbs.

Sword

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

I watched the DVD from the season leading to the SB against Seattle recently. One thing that impressed me was the power and athleticism of the Steelers lineman. You saw effective screen passes because you had guys that could get out front and move. You had Faneca leading runs all over the place.

I'd love a big guy up front, somebody that can move the Ngatas of the world, but I'd also really love to see the Steelers bring in some offensive lineman with athleticism.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We have that now with both Legs at LG and Pouncey at C. Remember all of the pulls, etc that Dawson used to do? Well, Pouncey and Legs are more than capable of doing the same thing. People don't realize this, but strength-wise, Legs is just about the strongest man on the entire team. (I say just about, because I'm not sure about Harrison- James might be the main beast in the weight room, but Legs is right there- based off of what Wolfley says) Both Legs and Pouncey are quick as hell too, or they wouldn't be where they are today...So, they are both athletic enough to get the job done.

Anyway, it's all in what the OC wants to do. That was BA's fault for not calling more screens, etc. Now he's history, so good riddens to him.

It's gonna depend on what direction this team goes in. If Rooney wants us to go back to a more traditional style of offense with running the ball- which to be honest- I 110% agree with, then we're gonna have to stay with what we got- more run blocking OLmen. Our problem has been that some of these OLmen are just avg. pass blockers. So, if BA would've stayed and pushed the passing game even more, sure, we'd be better off upgrading a few spots up front, but with Colon coming back, I think we're fine up front. Would be nice to add some competition at OG to push Foster though.

I still say if they got a freaking real FB in there, that would help out tremendously as well.. And throw in another TE who can block on the LOS.....

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    Anyway, it's all in what the OC wants to do. That was BA's fault for not calling more screens, etc. Now he's history, so good riddens to him.
    Part of it is playcalling, but I can't really see Foster or Essex or some of those guys out leading a screen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed. However, I do remember a few nice plays that Foster actually had a couple of years ago when he was playing LG. But yea, overall, I agree on your assessment of those 2.....

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    We have that now with both Legs at LG and Pouncey at C. Remember all of the pulls, etc that Dawson used to do? Well, Pouncey and Legs are more than capable of doing the same thing. People don't realize this, but strength-wise, Legs is just about the strongest man on the entire team. (I say just about, because I'm not sure about Harrison- James might be the main beast in the weight room, but Legs is right there- based off of what Wolfley says) Both Legs and Pouncey are quick as hell too, or they wouldn't be where they are today...So, they are both athletic enough to get the job done.

It's gonna depend on what direction this team goes in. If Rooney wants us to go back to a more traditional style of offense with running the ball- which to be honest- I 110% agree with, then we're gonna have to stay with what we got- more run blocking OLmen. Our problem has been that some of these OLmen are just avg. pass blockers. So, if BA would've stayed and pushed the passing game even more, sure, we'd be better off upgrading a few spots up front, but with Colon coming back, I think we're fine up front. Would be nice to add some competition at OG to push Foster though.

I still say if they got a freaking real FB in there, that would help out tremendously as well.. And throw in another TE who can block on the LOS.....

I wouldn't put Pouncey and Dawson is the same breadth. Although I do like Legs, he is not even close to a Faneca.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

This is interesting. Right now I really disagree with you but you say some things that make me think. I dont know. I really think Legs is a back up and should not be starting against the guys we have to fight every week. Legs is an overachiever, which is awesome. Its just that as soon as he does something good, he gets blown to smithereens the next play. I know this is the NFL and it happens to the best of them from time to time. I just really think we need another excellent player at the guard position.

I want guys who can handle playoff situations when the opponent just decides that on top of his all world ability he is going to play like he has never played before a la Vince Wilfork last week. I was not expecting that at all. Legs... he's a keeper but I just think we can do much better as a starter. People have excellent Dlineman these days and I want an oline that can consistently neutralize if not dominate the opponent. We need to excel on the oline. Right now we seem to be just getting by.

One or two more sound players away. I say draft one early at guard position if he's there and can upgrade to position quickly.

Quick question, do you trust that colon is all healed up and can stay healthy?
    Also what do you think about moving Colon to guard opposite Foster and keeping Starks and Gilbert at the tackle positions?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    Also what do you think about moving Colon to guard opposite Foster and keeping Starks and Gilbert at the tackle positions?
    I'd like to re-sign Max and move Colon inside. I'd also love to trade up for DeCastro too.

Starks-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert

We can win with that OL.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    I'd like to re-sign Max and move Colon inside. I'd also love to trade up for DeCastro too.

We can win with that OL.
    That would be a devastating OL. Our time of positon could average about 40 minutes. Repeated 3rd and inches all day. Or better yet 1st downs after 2 plays.

But what would it take to trade up for him? Where is he expected to be picked?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

We can win with that OL.
    That would be a devastating OL. Our time of positon could average about 40 minutes. Repeated 3rd and inches all day. Or better yet 1st downs after 2 plays.

But what would it take to trade up for him? Where is he expected to be picked?
    The top interior OL prospects in the draft have gone in the middle of the first round in the last few years (Mike Pouncey 15th in 2011, Mike Iupati 17th in 2010, Maurkice Pouncey 18th in 2010). I suggested trading our first and second round picks to the Jets (picking 16th overall) in exchange for their first and fourth round picks.

The numbers work out according to the draft trade value chart:

Steelers trade picks 1.24 (740) + 2.56 (340) = 1080 points total
    to Jets for picks 1.16 (1000) + 4.108 (7 = 1078 points total
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.