Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Offensive Line types that we need....

  1. #11

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I watched the DVD from the season leading to the SB against Seattle recently. One thing that impressed me was the power and athleticism of the Steelers lineman. You saw effective screen passes because you had guys that could get out front and move. You had Faneca leading runs all over the place.

    I'd love a big guy up front, somebody that can move the Ngatas of the world, but I'd also really love to see the Steelers bring in some offensive lineman with athleticism.
    Marvel Smith Round 2
    Alan Faneca Round 1
    Jeff Hartings Round 1
    Kendall Simmons Round 1
    Max Starks Round 3

    Noticing a trend?

  2. #12

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I watched the DVD from the season leading to the SB against Seattle recently. One thing that impressed me was the power and athleticism of the Steelers lineman. You saw effective screen passes because you had guys that could get out front and move. You had Faneca leading runs all over the place.

    I'd love a big guy up front, somebody that can move the Ngatas of the world, but I'd also really love to see the Steelers bring in some offensive lineman with athleticism.
    Marvel Smith Round 2
    Alan Faneca Round 1
    Jeff Hartings Round 1
    Kendall Simmons Round 1
    Max Starks Round 3

    Noticing a trend?

    Absolutely

  3. #13

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    Quick question, do you trust that colon is all healed up and can stay healthy?
    Also what do you think about moving Colon to guard opposite Foster and keeping Starks and Gilbert at the tackle positions?
    I'd like to re-sign Max and move Colon inside. I'd also love to trade up for DeCastro too.

    Starks-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert

    We can win with that OL.
    That would be a devastating OL. Our time of positon could average about 40 minutes. Repeated 3rd and inches all day. Or better yet 1st downs after 2 plays.

    But what would it take to trade up for him? Where is he expected to be picked?
    The top interior OL prospects in the draft have gone in the middle of the first round in the last few years (Mike Pouncey 15th in 2011, Mike Iupati 17th in 2010, Maurkice Pouncey 18th in 2010). I suggested trading our first and second round picks to the Jets (picking 16th overall) in exchange for their first and fourth round picks.

    The numbers work out according to the draft trade value chart:

    Steelers trade picks 1.24 (740) + 2.56 (340) = 1080 points total
    to Jets for picks 1.16 (1000) + 4.108 (7 = 1078 points total

    If this guy is who we think he is I would do it. It would have to be a last second kind of deal. Id have to be sure my target was still on the board before I completely pulled the trigger.

    Now my next question is, what are the jets looking for in the draft. What are their perceived needs. I ask this because it would be great if whoever they are looking for is still conceivably available at 24. That would make me feel better about the possibilities. You know anything about the Jets in house situation.

  4. #14
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,132

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    Quick question, do you trust that colon is all healed up and can stay healthy?
    Also what do you think about moving Colon to guard opposite Foster and keeping Starks and Gilbert at the tackle positions?
    I'd like to re-sign Max and move Colon inside. I'd also love to trade up for DeCastro too.

    Starks-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert

    We can win with that OL.
    That would be a devastating OL. Our time of positon could average about 40 minutes. Repeated 3rd and inches all day. Or better yet 1st downs after 2 plays.

    But what would it take to trade up for him? Where is he expected to be picked?
    The top interior OL prospects in the draft have gone in the middle of the first round in the last few years (Mike Pouncey 15th in 2011, Mike Iupati 17th in 2010, Maurkice Pouncey 18th in 2010). I suggested trading our first and second round picks to the Jets (picking 16th overall) in exchange for their first and fourth round picks.

    The numbers work out according to the draft trade value chart:

    Steelers trade picks 1.24 (740) + 2.56 (340) = 1080 points total
    to Jets for picks 1.16 (1000) + 4.108 (7 = 1078 points total

    If this guy is who we think he is I would do it. It would have to be a last second kind of deal. Id have to be sure my target was still on the board before I completely pulled the trigger.

    Now my next question is, what are the jets looking for in the draft. What are their perceived needs. I ask this because it would be great if whoever they are looking for is still conceivably available at 24. That would make me feel better about the possibilities. You know anything about the Jets in house situation.
    I think the Jets need a pash rusher. If Alabama's Courtney Upshaw is on the board, they'd likely pounce on him, but I expect him to go in the top 15. They could trade back to #24 and still get someone like Illinois' Whitney Mercilus or USC's Nick Perry instead, while also getting a 2nd round pick from us. Good deal for both sides.

    I'm just hoping Dallas doesn't take DeCastro at #14. They need interior OL help, but also have needs in the secondary as well. They could take the best available CB at 14, then hope to land someone like Kelechi Osemele in round 2 (they always liked big bodied o-lineman like that). I'm hoping that Dre Kirkpatrick (a top 10 talent who was recently busted for marijuana possession) falls into their laps and they are unable to resist (drug problems don't seem to concern them too much...Nate Newton, Sam Hurd, Pac Man Jones, etc.).

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Realistically though, we have to move on past this Colon to RG stuff. He's RT now and that's where the Steelers will play him. Everyone close to the Steelers reports this, so it's gotta be put down in pen now that he's the RT.

    Gilbert was drafted to be the next LT. This has also been reported, so this too has to be written down in pen.

    Pouncey is our C, as he was just drafted there and barring any chronic problems with his injuries, he's set at C for a long time.

    This obviously leaves our 2 OG positions. Which, by most counts is pretty much the same position as the OC. I like Legs at LG. I liked him at RG too. Now, there are a few FA's out there at G. How about Ben Grubbs? Depending on $$. We pluck him in there at LG and move Legs to RG.


    That would leave us with:

    Gilbert- only 2nd yr
    Grubbs ($- ?) only been in league for like 4 yrs?
    Pouncey only 3rd yr
    Legs
    Colon- old boy on line


    Sign Starks on the cheap for backup duties...




    Now we can concentrate on the Defensive side of the ball in the draft. We need more playmakers on D.

    Hightower.....round 1

    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  6. #16

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    don't you guys remember how legursky got abused at RG early last year?

    he isn't strong enough to play that position.

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    if he's there, i personally know some jets fans who say they would take decastro. so i'm not sure they would trade back

    i asked "really? another 1st rder on the OL"

    they've said, "yeah, get back to ground and pound"


    i'd do the same if stinkchez was my QB..lol


    ....that would give them 3 #1's and a 2nd rder along the OL

  8. #18
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,809

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    if he's there, i personally know some jets fans who say they would take decastro. so i'm not sure they would trade back

    i asked "really? another 1st rder on the OL"

    they've said, "yeah, get back to ground and pound"

    I have a friend who is an avid Dallas Cowgirls fan and is a real draftnik. he told me that there is no way DeCastro falls past them at 1(14) as their LG Derrick Dockery is a free agent after missing most of 2011 with a knee injury and RG Montrae Holland sucks.

  9. #19

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    if he's there, i personally know some jets fans who say they would take decastro. so i'm not sure they would trade back

    i asked "really? another 1st rder on the OL"

    they've said, "yeah, get back to ground and pound"

    I have a friend who is an avid Dallas Cowgirls fan and is a real draftnik. he told me that there is no way DeCastro falls past them at 1(14) as their LG Derrick Dockery is a free agent after missing most of 2011 with a knee injury and RG Montrae Holland sucks.

    Unfortunately, you seem to be on the money about this. They really want a top tier CB but the Kirkpatrick kid (I think thats his name) will be gone and there is no value for the next best corner at 14th pick. DeCastro seems to be a goner. I don't know what it would take to trade up to 13 but it seems like a very unlikely scenario.

    Ok back to the drawing board. Im hoping that between now and the combine 1 or 2 interior lineman emerge outside of the known quantities we have on various draft boards, to have a 1st round grade. That might shuffle things up and give us an opportunity to grab one of these guys. I'm really set on getting an excellent player for this line. Legs simply can not be a starter on the line that I envision. We will continue to have major problems with the ravens and increasingly so with bengals both twice a year, if Legs is the starter. We are 1 excellent and 1 very good guard away from dominating teams including our division rivals.
    How is this Glenn kid and will he be there at 24? Is he worth trading up for?

  10. #20
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,277

    Re: Offensive Line types that we need....

    Legs not strong enough? I'll listen to Craig Wolfley and his assessments over yours. Come on...

    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •