Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of options at NT outside of the draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A couple of options at NT outside of the draft

Nose Tackle is quickly becoming a big time need for us. I like Mclendon, but don't think you can count on him as a full time starter unless he makes a big time jump again this year.

By all accounts he is an animal in the weight room. He apparently is a very hard worker in the film room as well. Mclendon recently told Wexell that he weighs 320lbs.

With Hampton's knee requiring surgery, he is a goner. The Steelers can't wait to see if he will be healthy enough by camp. This will have been his third ACL injury.

Nose Tackle will be addressed by the draft or outside the draft. I think there are two really intriguing options to pursue if we can clear some cap space.

Paul Soliai (MIA) - NT

A very good NT with the Dolphins. I think him and Mclendon could form a very formidable duo at the position. I also don't think he will break the bank. Like Hampton he is a pure run stopper. He had 27 combined tackles this year with no sacks.

Aubrayo Franklin (NO) - NT

After generating very little interest in FA last year, he signed a one year deal with the Saints. He is a very capable 3-4 NT, and was franchised at least once with the 49'ers because he was that good of a run stuffer. I do not think he will generate a ton of interest in Free Agency again this year.

I only see two early round options in the draft for a potential NT with Chapman blowing an ACL:

Dontari Poe- He is a sure fire first rounder and should be in range. He could be our own version of Ngata in 2 years.

Alamad Ta'amu His is less of a sure thing, and is looking more and more like a 2nd rounder.

This is becoming a bigger and bigger need.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: A couple of options at NT outside of the draft

i think the draft is the only reasonable way to upgrade. with the cap issues we already have i cant see us spending much of anything in free agency apart from bringing back our own guys
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am interested in hearing other opinions on this as well.

I wonder if NT, even though a huge need right now, is worth a 1st round draft pick.

it seems like the way the league is going(thanks fidel) a huge run stuffing NT may be becoming a 2 down player at best. I just have to wonder if that kind of player warrants a 1st round investment. I am still of the opinion that cody was the pick instead of worilds 2 drafts ago, but that is water under the bridge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    i think the draft is the only reasonable way to upgrade. the cap issues we already have i cant see us spending much of anything in free agency apart from bring back our own guys

unfortunately, expensive free agent options are not an option...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    i think the draft is the only reasonable way to upgrade. the cap issues we already have i cant see us spending much of anything in free agency apart from bring back our own guys

unfortunately, expensive free agent options are not an option...
    I don't think either of these guys would cost as much as Hampton would have if healthy. Hampton was likely to be cut and then brought back.

I think you can get Soliai or Franklin for a more than reasonable contract. Especially with Dolphins converting to 4-3 now.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they have no choice but to address it in FA....

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

not sure how we can sign any expensive free agents...

we are nearly $20 plus million over the 2012 projected salary cap number of $125 million and that is with just 44 players under contract for 2012. we still need to tender contracts to our restricted and exclusive rights free agents and fill the offseason roster to get to the 80 player limit as well.

my personal opinion is that Big Snack will be back next year, but with a much reduced contract and cap hit.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    Nose Tackle is quickly becoming a big time need for us. I like Mclendon, but don't think you can count on him as a full time starter unless he makes a big time jump again this year.

By all accounts he is an animal in the weight room. He apparently is a very hard worker in the film room as well. Mclendon recently told Wexell that he weighs 320lbs.

With Hampton's knee requiring surgery, he is a goner. The Steelers can't wait to see if he will be healthy enough by camp. This will have been his third ACL injury.

Nose Tackle will be addressed by the draft or outside the draft. I think there are two really intriguing options to pursue if we can clear some cap space.

Paul Soliai (MIA) - NT

A very good NT with the Dolphins. I think him and Mclendon could form a very formidable duo at the position. I also don't think he will break the bank. Like Hampton he is a pure run stopper. He had 27 combined tackles this year with no sacks.

Aubrayo Franklin (NO) - NT

After generating very little interest in FA last year, he signed a one year deal with the Saints. He is a very capable 3-4 NT, and was franchised at least once with the 49'ers because he was that good of a run stuffer. I do not think he will generate a ton of interest in Free Agency again this year.

I only see two early round options in the draft for a potential NT with Chapman blowing an ACL:

Dontari Poe- He is a sure fire first rounder and should be in range. He could be our own version of Ngata in 2 years.
    Alamad Ta'amu His is less of a sure thing, and is looking more and more like a 2nd rounder.

This is becoming a bigger and bigger need.
    Does Ngata come out on passing downs? If you've got a big guy who can collapse the pocket and generate some rush, even if it's just straight ahead bull rush, to occupy interior linemen, you've got a cornerstone for a very physical defense. I know Baltimore spent a very high pick (It was a 12, IIRC) on Ngata. If we can get a player who has a good chance of being comparable in impact late in the 1st, I'm listening.

Starter

User Info Menu

You missed the best option...

NT - Ziggy Hood (He's 6'3" 300 pounds of NFL ready size and strength. And he already knows the playbook. Plus he's a better bull rusher on the inside anyway.)

Day one we start:

DE - Heyward

NT - Hood

DE - Keisel

Of course we still need back ups but those can come much cheaper both in terms of cash and valuable draft choices.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    You missed the best option...

NT - Ziggy Hood (He's 6'3" 300 pounds of NFL ready size and strength. And he already knows the playbook. Plus he's a better bull rusher on the inside anyway.)

Day one we start:

DE - Heyward

NT - Hood

DE - Keisel

Of course we still need back ups but those can come much cheaper both in terms of cash and valuable draft choices.

I would love to see your scenario work out with Heyward, Ziggy and Keisel starting and Steve McLendon, Corbin Bryant, Al Woods, possibly Aaron Smith and a DL draft choice or two competing for back-up spots.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha