Thread: Ben Wants Some Answers from Rooney

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Wants Some Answers from Rooney

Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger wants an answer from Rooney
    By Scott Brown and Shawn McCullough, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, January 26, 2012
    Last updated: 6:12 pm

HONOLULU — Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has questions about the direction of the Steelers' offense, and he plans to seek out team president Art Rooney II when he returns to Pittsburgh after playing in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night.

"When I get back I'm going to go up to Mr. Rooney's office and ask him what he wants from me, what he wants from this offense, because I think that's a viable question for him," Roethlisberger said Thursday in an exclusive interview with the Tribune-Review following a light Pro Bowl practice. "He's our owner and our boss, so I really would like to know kind of what he wants and where he sees our offense going because I'd like to tell him where I see us going."

The offense has become perhaps the biggest question mark in an offseason full of them for the Steelers.

Bruce Arians, who has a close relationship with Roethlisberger, will not return after serving five seasons as the Steelers' offensive coordinator. The Steelers said Arians, whom Roethlisberger took to Hawaii as his guest, retired, but Arians said earlier this week that his contract had not been renewed.

Rooney, in an interview with Steelers.com, sidestepped a question about the circumstances under which Arians left. Rooney said that moving forward was the most important thing.

The Steelers declined to comment on what Roethlisberger said, the quarterback's first public comments since Arians' departure.

Roethlisberger had lobbied on Arians' behalf after the 2009 season, when the Steelers seriously considered ousting him. He was miffed by the timing of the change now because Roethlisberger said he believes the offense is close to putting it all together.

"We feel like we are really close to being an elite offense," said Roethlisberger, who will play in his second Pro Bowl. "For your leader to be gone is kind of a shocker for us, but you've got to be ready for it, and whatever the Rooneys and coach (Mike) Tomlin decide is our next step. I think the (Steelers') mind was made up, and B.A. was kind of ready to move on as well."

The Steelers finished 12th in the NFL in total offense, averaging 372.3 yards per game this past season. They tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game). Rooney told the Trib last week that the Steelers need to improve in that area.

Rooney also said during a wide-ranging interview that the Steelers need to cut down on sacks and that Roethlisberger needs to "tweak" his game.

"From what I understood from that was, just not get hit to so much," said Roethlisberger, who was sacked 40 times in 15 regular-season games in 2011. "I think some of that's on me; some of that's on linemen. It's on everybody, so I'll put it on me and try to make those adjustments."

Read more: Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger wants an answer from Rooney - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [url="http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_778590.html#ixzz1kc9LMB4G"]http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburght ... z1kc9LMB4G[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ben Wants Some Answers from Rooney

Wow. I think that's the first time I've ever heard Ben put any blame on the OLine.

He must be upset about BA.

I do kinda think we need someone to really push Ben to be better instead of his best friend leading the offense and catering to him. Sometimes you need a little contention and disagreement to push someone to be better.

Granted it's not good to have a bad relationship. Just someone that can push you to be better. Someone that's willing to challenge you.

Backup

User Info Menu

"He's our owner and our boss, so I really would like to know kind of what he wants and where he sees our offense going because I'd like to tell him where I see us going."
    1) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

2) Miles Burris, LB San Diego State

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

4) Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal

5) Blake Gideon, F/S, Texas

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gosh,

Ben sounds so pissed, I don't know how he is ever going to get over it.

This is the biggest joke of a story there is.

Here is Wexell's twitter message on the article:

jimwexell James C Wexell
    Ben's just talking to reporters. You know him. He's not busting down the door.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Administrator

User Info Menu

yikes ... that doesn't sound good.

If Ben's not careful, Rooney will send him packing and him and Arians can be together again....
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben needs to
    STFU, He sounds like a spoiled little be! Tch
    Start playing like a franchise QB and your girl friend would still be here!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1

If Ben's not careful, Rooney will send him packing and him and Arians can be together again....
    In a perfect world,..........

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden

...........in which we descend back to the depths with a succession of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby Brister, Todd Blackledge, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, and Tommy Maddox at QB leading us to, well, nowhere in particular. Talk about a perfect world!!!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

...........in which we descend back to the depths with a succession of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby Brister, Todd Blackledge, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Jim Miller, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, and Tommy Maddox at QB leading us to, well, nowhere in particular. Talk about a perfect world!!!
    Ahh...memories!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Dude,... Roethlisberger IS Kent Graham with more athleticism for his size.

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF