Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hoke Announces Retirement

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Chris Hoke Announces Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Honestly think he was more than a 'journeyman', although he accepted that role with the Steelers without complaint.

Best wishes Chris Hoke.

Like I said, he could have been a starter on many teams. He could have been a starter for the steelers too. Our team has wow stats when he was the starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

The D won't be the same without him.

How many guys go 17-1 as a starter? I always thought this guy should have been a starter. Probably the most underrated Steeler of all time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Even though you knew it was coming it's hard to imagine the Steelers without Hoke and the others sure to follow very soon.

God Speed Hokie, I hope you get the BYU coaching job, at least we'll all know where to find you to see how you're doing.

Here's to you

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Congrats to #76 on oyur retirement..... You will be missed......

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

This is the beginning of the end of an era of players.

Hoke will certainly be missed. Great team player, and a great player. He'll certainly be missed. I wish all the best to him and his family.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

17-1 when he starts!

Maybe he should have started all 11 years. We'd have another 8-9 Super Bowls.

Legend

User Info Menu

A Tribute to Unheralded and Retiring Steelers NT Chris Hoke

by Neal Coolong on Jan 25, 2012

No one will be lobbying for enshrinement into Canton for Steelers NT Chris Hoke, who announced his retirement today after 11 seasons in Pittsburgh.

We didn't see him in Hawaii in those annoying red AFC Pro Bowl jerseys. We didn't even see his name on the draft tracker on ESPN back in 2001, when the Steelers signed him as an undrafted free agent out of BYU.

We did see him on two Super Bowl championship roster, and three AFC Championship roster. We saw him more-than-adequately back-up Steelers legend Casey Hampton his entire career, and in 18 starts, Hoke's Steelers won an eye-popping 17 of them.

It's a stat unlikely to be challenged, mostly because few would bother to farm through historic records to find a comparable player. But that's why the stat is so important; it fits Hoke even better than his facial hair.

Understated, unheralded but completely in control of his craft.

When the Steelers announced Hoke, 35, would undergo season-ending neck surgery, Steel City Insider's Jim Wexell penned an excellent piece on second-year NT Steve McLendon's reaction to Hoke's retirement. Anything that may have been considered unheralded about Hoke was washed away with McLendon's nearly teary-eyed description of the kind of leader and teacher Hoke is.

We don't see what's happening on the sidelines during games. We didn't see Hoke shouting out what he sees, or helping defensive line coach Johnny Mitchell make in-game adjustments. We saw him go in and help the league's best defensive team over the last 10 years when it needed him but we weren't exposed to his true value.

That value is simple; teams do not win without guys like Chris Hoke. It's not the talent of your superstars, but the character of the players on your bench that bring championships. Veteran leadership and savvy cannot be understated, although we always want the next big thing.

The legacy of this defensive line over the last 10 years will be as rich and storied as the Steel Curtain before it, and Hoke is as big a part of it as Hampton, Aaron Smith or Brett Keisel. Fans will always remember 98, 91 and 99, and perhaps less fans will remember 76.

But if there's ever a reunion of the Steelers Super Bowl teams of the new millennium, and all those guys are hanging around meeting with people, with all due respect to the starters, I'm heading straight for Chris Hoke, and I'm asking to shake his hand.

Because he's the one who did the most that no one saw, and I want him to know some people recognize those characteristics as defining points of a champion.

[url="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/25/2734365/steelers-chris-hoke-retiring-career-record-winning#storyjump"]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

If he's interested, maybe Hoke is a former player that the Steelers would want to retain as a coach down the line...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Very nice article. Sounds as if he'd be a fantastic coach (or already was one).

[url]http://pit.scout.com/2/1136603.html[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, Jerry Olsavsky's career as a Steeler was essentially the linebacker version of Chris Hoke, and Jerry O is now on our coaching staff. I believe John Mitchell (who is now in his 60's), said that he would consider retirement once his long-time DL (Smith-Hampton-Keisel-Hoke) were gone. Perhaps Hokie could step in for him when he steps down.

I love that this thread has reached its second page already. That's what makes true Steeler fans special...they appreciate the contributions of long-time backup nose tackles. Compare that to your average bandwagon Pats fan, who knows Brady, probably Welker, and maybe Gronkowski now, but that's about it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.