Thread: Little Help Please

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Little Help Please

I have been attempting to track down a somewhat recent article (last 3 or 4 months) where Ben was quoted as saying something along the lines of he didn't know why they run sometimes, that someone said they should so they throw a run in there every once in a while.

Anyone know what I am talking about on that? I got a shiny penny for the first person that can post a link of the article I am thinking of cause I can't find it anywhere!
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Little Help Please

"They gave us a lot of underneath stuff,'' Roethlisberger said. "We came in with a game plan of throwing the ball, and we did a good job of that. We came in planning to take some shots, too. You would have thought the game plan was just dink-and-dunk, dink-and-dunk, but that's what they gave us. They took away the deep ball.
    "For us, taking away the deep ball, it opens up the underneath stuff. When you think about us possessing the ball, and keeping control, it's usually running the ball. But we kind of showed we can do it without always running the ball. We can take the short pass and the screen to the wide receiver, and we can move the ball. We can be as good as we want to be. When we don't kill ourselves and stop ourselves, we can be pretty dangerous.''
    [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/10/30/steelers.patriots/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete
    "They gave us a lot of underneath stuff,'' Roethlisberger said. "We came in with a game plan of throwing the ball, and we did a good job of that. We came in planning to take some shots, too. You would have thought the game plan was just dink-and-dunk, dink-and-dunk, but that's what they gave us. They took away the deep ball.
    "For us, taking away the deep ball, it opens up the underneath stuff. When you think about us possessing the ball, and keeping control, it's usually running the ball. But we kind of showed we can do it without always running the ball. We can take the short pass and the screen to the wide receiver, and we can move the ball. We can be as good as we want to be. When we don't kill ourselves and stop ourselves, we can be pretty dangerous.''
    [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/10/30/steelers.patriots/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html[/url]
    Thats a good find, and shows Ben should not be part of the gameplanning. For us to dominate the Patriots & Titsns using this sort of game, and for Ben to say he doesn't like that sort of offense after seeing how well it works is ridiculous. The short underneath pass game is what we missed the last half of the season.

Thanks for posting this article, but it isn't the one I was looking for. The article I was seeking has Ben saying something about 'calling run plays cause someone said they should run more' which to me was a shot at Art II.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To me it seems like Ben has to be apart of every play. Handing the ball off is not in his scheme of things for Sundays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    To me it seems like Ben has to be apart of every play. Handing the ball off is not in his scheme of things for Sundays.
    I agree. Does it go as far as he needs to be the hero vs. One of 11 on offense so he would rather play the deep ball game vs. The take what is there game?
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Art II has seen it and seen enough of it. I would have to believe that Art spoke about this with his dad on the subject and that Dan agreed with the outcome of all this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I agree. Does it go as far as he needs to be the hero vs. One of 11 on offense so he would rather play the deep ball game vs. The take what is there game?
    I don't think it has anything to do with Ben wanting to be the hero. The guy plays the QB position his way and he's been pretty successful at it. The problem is Steeler fans expect a SB every year and refuse to accept the way Ben plays QB and the highs and lows that come with it.

We definitely need a better running game...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone wants to take away Bens style of football that he likes to do and I was all fine for that but, defenses are aware of his potential. They set up for his fantastic breakdown plays that he makes something out of nothing.
    He is getting older, the injuries are going to take a toll on him. I've accepted the idea or personality of this team wants to be high octane but, we haven't seen a lot of that.
    Everyone keeps saying it is a scoring league these days with airing it out but, it isn't happening for us.

What's wrong with setting up the big passes by some slicing and dicing passes that we know works ? I'm always in favor of running the ball if it works and it has worked for us.
    We just haven't put it all together with accurate play calling in my opinion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I don't think it has anything to do with Ben wanting to be the hero. The guy plays the QB position his way and he's been pretty successful at it. The problem is Steeler fans expect a SB every year and refuse to accept the way Ben plays QB and the highs and lows that come with it.

We definitely need a better running game...
    I don't buy this sort of talk at all.
    @_Hellgrammite