Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senior Bowl Practice Today

Re: Senior Bowl Practice Today

Great stuff hawaiiansteel!! I hope that you will continue to post these updates/notes of these practices. Much appreciated.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Trust me when I say this...Mike Adams will be a turnstyle in the pros. I know he is huge and athletic. But, he just doesn't have it. I don't know why but he just gets abused. I hope the Steelers stay far, far away. He scares me because we know the Steelers like Buckeyes.

Posey is interesting. He was an above average college player. I don't think he was special. With that said, he only had Pryor throwing to him. He is big, fast, and has solid hands. I think Posey will end up being a high end #2, low end #1. He is worth a second round look.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Trust me when I say this...Mike Adams will be a turnstyle in the pros. I know he is huge and athletic. But, he just doesn't have it. I don't know why but he just gets abused. I hope the Steelers stay far, far away. He scares me because we know the Steelers like Buckeyes.....
    Shawn I tend to agree with you on Adams. I really think that these scouts and experts are really enamored with his height and especially his wing span. Long arms to keep the pass rusher at a distance, however, when you watch him he struggles with his feet and getting set up which has caused him problems versus the speed rusher. I have no vendetta versus Adams. He has shown some ability/flashes of being good but then there's that once every other time of getting beat around the corner that scares me. I would be ok with a later round pick (maybe a second, preferably a 3rd), on him but some are talking first round grade.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Trust me when I say this...Mike Adams will be a turnstyle in the pros. I know he is huge and athletic. But, he just doesn't have it. I don't know why but he just gets abused. I hope the Steelers stay far, far away. He scares me because we know the Steelers like Buckeyes.
    After watching Adams for four years, it seems to be a question of "want" with him....He plays well when he wants to. There's no question he's a great run blocker but pass protection always leaves me confused. Some games/plays he has it, other times he looks lazy and uninterested.

2012 Senior Bowl: Tuesday North Practice Report

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

The North team took to the field of Ladd Peebles Stadium for their second practice of Senior Bowl on Tuesday morning. The Minnesota Vikings coaching staff was in charge of the North team and they had the players practicing in full pads. Tuesday and Wednesday are the full-padded sessions. To start out practice they worked on special teams and in their individual position groups.

During the practice and beforehand, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler spent a lot of time working at center. Zeitler played next to the best center in college football in Peter Konz, so he didn't see any game action at the position as a collegiate player the past few years. If Zeitler can show NFL teams that he has the capacity to play some center, that could give his draft stock a boost.

During the individual period the linebackers worked on their footwork. Nebraska linebacker Lavonte David has extremely quick feet, and David stood out above the other linebackers. North Carolina State linebacker Audie Cole is a little stiff. He probably would fit best as an inside linebacker in the 3-4. Boise State outside linebacker Shea McClellin was surprisingly athletic.

After the individual period, the linebackers went to a one-on-one scrimmage against running backs, fullbacks and tight ends in blitz protection. Overall the linebackers have the advantage in this drill, but there were players who stood out on both sides of the ball. Here is a scorecard of some of the one-on-one action:

David started the session by blasting Wisconsin fullback Bradie Ewing. The hit from David was extremely hard and rocked Ewing off balance. That allowed the speedy David to jet by him for the victory. David ran through Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead on a rush. David blasted Washington running back Chris Polk to the ground for another win. The only player who beat David was Massachusetts tight end Emil Igwenagu. He rode David around the outside on a speed rush.

Other than David, the other linebacker to really standout was Cole. He beat Polk with a swim move, dodged Ewing with a jab step, and defeated Ohio State running back Boom Herron with a power swim move. Cole lost a rep to Missouri tight end Michael Egnew when he rode him around the pocket.

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner shed a block from Boise State's Doug Martin before getting to the marker. Wagner bull rushed through Polk for a victory.

Nevada linebacker James-Michael Johnson had a resounding win when he ran over Herron on one rush. Johnson also had wins against Ewing and Igwenagu.

Ewing lost a number of reps but he also had a win against Boise State's Shea McClellin when he rode him around the pocket.

McClellin destroyed Herron on a power rush.

Pead stuffed Johnson on one rush. Of the running backs, Pead has the best technique in fitting up on blitzers and getting in good position. Even in his losses he fought well.

Pead and Martin were the two running backs who performed the best in their position group. Polk had an ugly session, while Herron was beat with ease. Both Pead and Martin are helping their draft stock with showing the potential to be trusted third-down running backs.

The wide receivers and cornerbacks went against each other in one-on-ones. Overall the defensive backs fared better than they did on Monday, but wideouts have an advantage in this drill as they know the route and the cornerback has no safety help. Here is a run down of some of the one-on-one action:

Iowa wide receiver Marvin McNutt is a polished route-runner and he had a good session. McNutt had wins against Iowa State cornerback Leonard Johnson, Nebraska cornerback Alfonzo Dennard and Cal Poly cornerback Asa Jackson. McNutt executes the slant route extremely well and that worked to get open against those cornerbacks. On a deep post, McNutt had a step on Boston College cornerback Donnie Fletcher, but McNutt couldn't get a handle on a pass thrown behind him. It was a catch he probably should've made.

A real standout so far has been Cal wide receiver Marvin Jones. He beat Dennard on a deep pass along the sideline for a big catch downfield. Jones burned Johnson on a slant route and got a good deal of space to come open. On Monday and Tuesday, Jones has shown quickness in and out of his breaks to get separation from defensive backs.

Dennard hasn't had a strong week. At times he hasn't done well in turning and running with receivers. Dennard did have a win when he forced an incompletion on a quick out to North Carolina State wide receiver T.J. Graham. This environment isn't the best for Dennard as he performs better in the games when he is playing within a scheme. This week could bump his stock down.

Ohio State wide receiver DeVier Posey didn't impress and had a bad dropped pass.

Fletcher had a good session overall. He almost had a diving interception after Appalachian State wide receiver Brian Quick slipped on the play. Fletcher had tight coverage on Gerell Robinson on an out route and forced a bobbled pass that went incomplete as Robinson went out of bounds.

The defensive line and offensive lines battled in one-on-ones, and there are definitely some prospects who are really helping themselves. The defensive line has a bigger advantage in this drill because they don't have to play the run before rushing the passer like they do in many plays in an actual game. They also don't take on any double teams or have to overcome a chip from a running back or tight end. Here is a scorecard of some of the one-on-one action:

On two reps, Connecticut defensive tackle Kendall Reyes beat Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler with a speed rush. Reyes had a really good day. He also bull rushed Wake Forest guard Joe Looney to get to the quarterback marker.

Looney was a late addition to the Senior Bowl, and he had a horrible debut practice. He was bull rushed twice by Washington defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu. The big nose tackle had no problem pushing Looney onto the marker. It is tough for players to come in late, but Looney showed no strength to anchor.

Zeitler had a win when he stonewalled a bull rush from Boise State defensive tackle Billy Winn, but he also had a rare loss to a bull rush courtesy of Ta'amu.

One of the biggest stars on Tuesday was Michigan defensive tackle Mike Martin. He abused Ohio State center Mike Brewster on multiple reps. He had a few wins on bull rushes and got one win after he rocked Brewster onto his heels before jetting by the center. It was an impressive day from Martin and a disappointing day for Brewster. There was a win for Brewster when he rode Ta'amu around the middle of the pocket on a bull rush.

Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams is a potential first-round pick but he is very inconsistent. He can look great and terrible in back-to-back plays. His first rep was a loss as Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson blew by him on a speed rush. Penn State defensive Jack Crawford did the same thing. Adams rebounded to get some wins including a rush that he stopped cold from Johnson. Adams is a more advanced run blocker than pass blocker entering the next level.

Overall Cincinnati defensive end Derek Wolfe showed well in the one-on-ones. It started slowly when he got pushed around in an ugly fashion by Iowa State tackle/guard Kelechi Osemele. Osemele shoved Wolfe off balance and into the ground. Wolfe bull rushed Penn State's Johnnie Troutman on one rep to get a win. In the rematch Wolfe beat Troutman with a speed rush around the edge. Wolfe beat Washington offensive tackle Senio Kelemete with a bull rush.

Osemele had an impressive win when he stopped a spin move dead in its tracks from Marshall's Vinny Curry. After a tough opening day, Osemele played much better on Tuesday.

Kelemete battled tough with some wins and losses. He had a win on one rep against Curry. After some initial penetration, Kelemete recovered to keep Curry at bay. Curry beat Kelemete with a speed edge rush to close out the one-on-ones.

In the team scrimmage portion of practice, Martin continued to stand out. He burst through the line to blow up one run early on. Martin kept coming and stuffed Polk at the line of scrimmage after Martin beat Utah guard Tony Bergstrom. Don't be surprised if you hear about Martin being one of the stars of Senior Bowl.

There were a few other notable events in Monday's practice. In the team scrimmage McClellin got a sack on a speed rush around the corner. Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson overthrew tight end Michael Egnew running down the middle of the field after Egnew got a step on Nevada linebacker James-Michael Johnson. Cousins was intercepted by Boise State safety George Iloka after he undercut a pass intended for Igwenagu. It was a good read and break on the ball by Iloka. The quarterbacks did not impress on Tuesday. Cousins is the best prospect of the bunch. All of them had fumbled snaps, especially Boise State's Kellen Moore, who wasn't under center much in college.

http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbow ... ctice4.php

Great stuff hawaiiansteel!! Thanks. Call me crazy but like I said two months ago, I think Lavonte David could play inside in a 3-4. Yes he is a bit undersized but he is so athletic. What he would bring in pass coverage, side line to side pursuit, and blitzing up the middle would make up for his lack of size.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

North Carolina State linebacker Audie Cole is a little stiff. He probably would fit best as an inside linebacker in the 3-4.

After the individual period, the linebackers went to a one-on-one scrimmage against running backs, fullbacks and tight ends in blitz protection. Overall the linebackers have the advantage in this drill, but there were players who stood out on both sides of the ball. Here is a scorecard of some of the one-on-one action:

...the other linebacker to really standout was Cole. He beat Polk with a swim move, dodged Ewing with a jab step, and defeated Ohio State running back Boom Herron with a power swim move. Cole lost a rep to Missouri tight end Michael Egnew when he rode him around the pocket.

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner shed a block from Boise State's Doug Martin before getting to the marker. Wagner bull rushed through Polk for a victory.

Nevada linebacker James-Michael Johnson had a resounding win when he ran over Herron on one rush. Johnson also had wins against Ewing and Igwenagu.

I think all of these ILB'ers offer greater value than taking one with the 1st pick.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel

North Carolina State linebacker Audie Cole is a little stiff. He probably would fit best as an inside linebacker in the 3-4.

...the other linebacker to really standout was Cole. He beat Polk with a swim move, dodged Ewing with a jab step, and defeated Ohio State running back Boom Herron with a power swim move. Cole lost a rep to Missouri tight end Michael Egnew when he rode him around the pocket.

I think all of these ILB'ers offer greater value than taking one with the 1st pick.
    Again I disagree. Hightower (3-4 at Alabama), has a chance to come in and start right away and make an immediate impact and these others you may not get a return on them for their first couple of years.

How is that great value?

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft...ice-notes.html

It was the first day of full pads here at the Senior Bowl, and as expected, it was a GREAT day for scouting the north squad that has some outstanding talent across the board, per usual at the Senior Bowl.

I really focused on the quarterback, receiver, defensive backs today, but I did also get some great battles on the offensive/defensive line plus some intrigue in the linebacker drills.

The Biggest Winners today were: Kirk Cousins, Marvin McNutt, George Iloka, and Bobby Wagner.

Quarterbacks
    -I'll start off by partially starting to admit defeat on Kellen Moore of Boise State. I was hopeful that his arm would be a bit more impressive overall, but he seems destined for a subpar week. He, like Nick Foles, relied a lot on their rhythm and receiver-connection in college, Moore mostly because he needed that timing to hide his lack of arm strength. He seems to be throwing off his backfoot at times to get the ball out quickly on quick-outside routes, and when he tries to deliver a strike in the mid-field, he really needs to rock back and get his whole body into it. His pass seemed to float far too much, he was short and off-timed (from his lack of arm) all day. Hopefully he'll get better, but he did NOT look like a draft-pick quarterback today.

-Russell Wilson flashed to me a bit today, and what's most intriguing about him is that his throwing release point is so high for his size. He throws the ball at more of a 6'1-6'2 height, so that may reduce the issue there. He also seemed to "place" the ball very well, accurate putting the ball out in front of the receiver. But, he didn't really drive the ball down the field well, which should be seen even more in team drills when he tries to throw across the middle.

-The clear cut best passer on the North squad today and likely all week is and will be Kirk Cousins of Michigan State. I had him rated as the 2nd best quarterback here, after Brandon Weeden, and today he really showed why I really like his potential as a possible starter in the NFL. He showed some great velocity on the outside, not short arming passes and just letting the ball fly with some better-than-expected arm strength that cut the wind very well. His release was faster than I thought to, likely had that shored up before this event. He looks to me like probably a 30-50 draft selection range quarterback based off film and now during these practices early on.

Running Backs
    -Best part of the running back drills today was the pass blocking drills, which despite all five runing backs showing that skill on film, only Wisconsin fullback Bradie Ewing was consistently holding his ground and mirroring well against initial quick rushes. Chris Polk consistently ducked his head and lost battles, and Isaiah Pead and Dan Herron were bull rushed conssitently. Doug Martin didn't do a whole lot either.

-Dan Herron and Doug Martin both did, however, looked explosive through the hole in team drills and really get to their top speed quickly. I do like Dan Herron based off of his film this year, and I think he's maybe a Top 10 back in this draft. Today, in terms of explosion, he didn't look far behind Doug Martin, but it's a long week ahead of us.

Wide Receivers
    -Brian Quick of Appalachian State and Marvin McNutt of Iowa are two of the better "ball grabbers" in this draft, meaning they shoot their hands up quickly and forcefully well and don't just let the ball come to them, likely because both have the length and played with some suspect-armed quarterbacks in their time. However, Quick had 4 drops (thanks to Joe Everett of www.RookieDraft.com for helping me keep track), which is a concern. McNutt on the other hand didn't drop a pass I say all day. The hands concerns aren't huge with me because if the hand size is big enough and he doesn't short arm receptions, it could just be a bad day or an uncomfortable thing, but it's for sure something to track all well.

-I had heard Marvin Jones of California looked great yesterday (I was at the other practice on Monday), so I was eager to see what he was made of. But after talking with Optimum Scouting's Mark Dulgarian a little further and watching him today, he didn't jump out like I was expecting. He did catch the ball away from his body well and did show some quick twitch stop-start in routes at times today, but he could be more of a one day wonder this week.

-Gerrell Roinson and DeVier Posey both were body catching at times today, and both finished with two drops. But both got vertical pretty well and showed some downfield separation skills today, which both showed on film as well.

Tight Ends
    -Didn't the tight ends do a whole lot today, but I thought Michael Egnew held his own against speed rushers in blocking drills today, but needs to fire his hands up with much more aggression and power if he hopes to be any sort of blocker. Also, UMass's Emil Igwenagu, who I already saw a whole week off last week, doesn't seem to be getting to his flat routes as a fullback, but again, not a lot to glean from tight ends today.

Offensive Linemen
    -Coming into this week, I wasn't all that high on Mike Adams, and so far he's struggled with exactly what I saw on film. He does use his hands very well and once he locks on and engages, he's rarely beaten to the edge or bull rushed. But when he doesn't lock on early, he's very suceptible to counter inside rushes and overall quicker rushes. I think he'll struggle mightily against quicker 3-4 outside linebackers in the NFL as a left tackle. And overall, he doesn't seem to be explosion, aggressive or willing to drive block down field. As an offensive tackle, I NEED to see that. That's why I'm unsure if he play the right side in the NFL.

-Mike Brewster, also of Ohio State had some fierce battles with Mike Martin. When he did win those battles, he showed some very good inside hand placement and repositioned his hands well against the powerful Martin. He does struggle to stay low and not let rushers get undeath, however. He told me that he'll only be playing center this week due to Senior Bowl injuries.

-Kelechi Osemele is looking much better than expected at right tackle. He's a massive human being, but he's been able to hold his ground very well and overpower pass rushers consistently. He's not a left tackle-pass blocker and I'll be curious to see how he'll consistently hold up against the 3-4 speed rushers on the North sqaud. So far, so good for Osemele.

Defensive Linemen
    -Kendall Reyes was the most surpring defensive tackle that played well to me. On film he didn't really show a lot of versatility in his rushes and really was a power only guy. So far in today's practice, he's been using that power rush ability to punch, push, then dip under or swim over guys much better than expected. We'll see how he looks tomorrow and more in deep drills, but it was a surprisingly good day for Reyes.

-Vinny Curry flashed a bit today, but maybe his most notable rush to me is when he lost his balance on an outside edge low rush, further having my concerns about his actual balance and flexibility. He'll REALLY need to show that ability to be a do-it-all type rusher and some natural 3-4 outside linebacker ability. He did tell me though that teams are primairly looking at him as a 4-3 defensive end, however.

-Jack Crawford of Penn State showed some powerful punch and rip moves today, showing off some powerful hands and entire upper half. He has flashed on film the last three years but wasn't able to string together a few good games in a row to be a Top 3 round prospect. If he can flash all four major practices and in the game this week, however, he could really start to live up to some team's loft expectations from his earlier career.

Linebackers
    -The clearcut most athletic linebacker here was Bobby Wagner of Utah State. He was very quick, smooth, and by far the most balanced in quick linebacker drills, and showed some great initial burst and quick rush moves in pass rushing drills. He didn't always show great explosion or power on film, so I'm curious to see if he can drive through traffic this week. But he sure looked the part based on drills and vs. the running backs today.

-James Michael Johnson was a bit stiff and high today in his quick linebacker drills (the same ones Bobby Wagner wowed in), and doesn't look like he transitions well in his breaks cleanly, a concern I had from film. He did show great power and some natural rush moves in pass rushing drills today however. He has the power and size of a great inside linebacker, no question, but he'll need to show a complete game to be a top three rounder. '

-Audie Cole of NC State was far more fluid and smooth as an athlete than I thought he would be. He wasn't anything outstanding or rare, but if he can move like that in drills, it shows he's more than just a very tall, lanky, somewhat position-less linebacker and could really develop into something. Nebraska linebacker Lavonte David was so forceful today in drills, vs. running backs, and in team play today. It's hard not to really like him on film because he's got great reactions, explosions well, and continously is around the ball.

Defensive Backs
    -Let me start by saying that I have never been a big fan of Alfonso Dennard because he's only a physical, short area guy. He was beat deep a lot again today on some longer, smooth deep receivers today. He's going to struggle all week long because he needs to be able to get his hands on guys early and often to be successful. He struggled with that today once again.

-Asa Jackson of Cal Poly had a rough day today, as he struggled to stay tight in man coverage and didn't stay low and fluid in his transitions. I think it was more of a sloppy day technique-wise for him, but based on talking with him about his passion for the game and to get better, I think he'll only get better this week.

-Leonard Jackson showed some really good stuff today in staying tight with the receiver, getting physical at the line of scrimmage, and closing on quick comeback or out routes well. But he was beat deep a handful of times today and it really looks like his lackluster heigh-speed combination is really going to hurt him this week.

-George Iloka utilized his length well today, as he covered the middle seam tight end route well and actually closed downhill and came up with an interception today on a 7 yard out route by the tight end. This could be the start of a fantastic week for Iloka.
    Here comes the BOOM!

I am watching today's practice and am impressed with Cordy Glenn and Zebrie Sanders. They say Sanders struggled yesterday versus Quinton Coples but today he was doing pretty well versus him. And whoever gets NT Brandon Thompson, whether it be late first round or early second round, is going to get a very tenacious football player. Also you can say the same about Courtney Upshaw. He has an impressive bull-rush.