Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pass to Lee Evans - TD?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pass to Lee Evans - TD?

From what I saw, Evans caught the ball got one foot down, then the other foot down with control and possession. A split second later, the defender knocked the ball out of his hands. There was no video evidence suggesting Evans was/would/could bobble that ball.

If I understand the rule correctly, at the moment Evans had possession and two feet, the TD was scored. The ball came loose but that was due to the defender hitting it, not Evans losing it. The rule awards a score for 1 infinity-eth of a second of possession/control in the end zone.

Any opinions?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Pass to Lee Evans - TD?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    From what I saw, Evans caught the ball got one foot down, then the other foot down with control and possession. A split second later, the defender knocked the ball out of his hands. There was no video evidence suggesting Evans was/would/could bobble that ball.

If I understand the rule correctly, at the moment Evans had possession and two feet, the TD was scored. The ball came loose but that was due to the defender hitting it, not Evans losing it. The rule awards a score for 1 infinity-eth of a second of possession/control in the end zone.

Any opinions?

Per the rules as I understand them, I thought they called it correctly.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility

Any opinions?

Per the rules as I understand them, I thought they called it correctly.
    Why? Is my understanding of the rules there incomplete?

Backup

User Info Menu

At the very least you'd have thought the replay official would have called time and looked at it. Not that I am disappointed by the outcome. Second best thing to the Steelers getting in to the SB is the Ravens coming that close and then having it RIPPED out from under them. Go cry on the sidelines, Ray Ray.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So, if Brady would have fumbled the ball AFTER it crossed the goal line when he leaped, would it have still been a TD?? I swear, you need a PhD to understand all the rules they have now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What I have seen is that receivers need to maintain possession of the bal through the entire play. We've seen several apparent TD's overruled this year when receivers have lost the ball after possessing it for longer than Lee Evans did, when the "catch" became dislodged by the ground or by falling to the ground.

I thought, on the replay, that Evans did not have secure possession of the ball at any point before the defender knocked the ball loose.

It does seem to be a problem that the rules are so complicated, sometimes seem contradictory (as with ball carriers breaking the plane and then losing the ball vs the rules for receivers in the EZ), etc. So much seems open to perception and interpretation, and this seems to be one of those cases.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To me the receiver relaxed before the official had time to call it a touchdown. I too thought it would have been viewed but, I think they had the play called correctly.

I thought it very smart not to call a time out for the missed fieldgoal. Too much of a rush for the offense, holder/kicker and it paid off.

Legend

User Info Menu

It was called correctly according to the rules as they are currently constituted.

However...I think the rules need to be CHANGED. If you can score a TD as a runner merely by breaking the plane with the ball, without any part of your body touching down in the end zone, then why is it different when it comes to a reception?

It's called a "TOUCHDOWN"...I would change the rule to say that in EVERY case, you have to get your body into the end zone with possession of the ball in order to score six.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    It was called correctly according to the rules as they are currently constituted.

However...I think the rules need to be CHANGED. If you can score a TD as a runner merely by breaking the plane with the ball, without any part of your body touching down in the end zone, then why is it different when it comes to a reception?

It's called a "TOUCHDOWN"...I would change the rule to say that in EVERY case, you have to get your body into the end zone with possession of the ball in order to score six.

cause it needs to be in possession first (on a pass) before it could be a TD.

a runner already has possession of the ball

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In the olden days ( 5 or 7 years ago) that would have been a TD. Now a receiver either has to hold the ball "through" the catch or make a "football move", whatever the hell that is. I don't think Evans fulfilled the football move portion.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!