Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534

    Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Since Marcus Gilbert is likely moving to LT, this may create a win-win situtation for the Steelers draft wise. I have been taking a long hard look at Zebrie Sanders (SKL gets credit for this ), and he is a solid RT who very well could come right in and start (like Gilbert did this tear). Because of the premium put on the LT those that are draft-able in round one are out of reach for the Steelers at 24. But a legit RT isnt. And quite frankly they may be even able to trade back a few spots and draft Zebrie Sanders along with acquiring another pick in round 2, 3, or 4. I am not a salary cap guy but I would think this would also free up "some" money by releasing Willie Colon. Too me, the more I look at this, the more I like it. I am not yet at 100% sold but I am starting to reach for my wallet.

    Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

    Would love to hear some thoughts on this.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Oh, if Cody Glenn happens to be there at 24 then that too would work. Glenn can play either Tackle or Guard.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  3. #3

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Releasing Colon is not an option, capwise, at this point...

    IIRC, releasing him would increase his cap hit this year...not the other way around...

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Releasing Colon is not an option, capwise, at this point...

    IIRC, releasing him would increase his cap hit this year...not the other way around...
    So at no point during this off season he can released and save even a small amount of money? If not ok so be it. I still like the thought of Sanders or Cordy Glenn having a shot at that position.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  5. #5

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

    Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
    Any OL without Chris K on it would be the best we have had in a long time.

    As far as the money thing goes, it looks like the deal Colon signed last season was a 5 year deal with a $6M SB. That means that the Steelers must still account for $4.8M in pro rated SB.

    The best way to save on next year's cap is to cut him after June 1. We save all of his $4.5M salary and only get charged his $1.2M SB which is already accounted for on the cap. We are then charged $3.6M dead money in 2013.

    The other way would be to cut him prior to June 1 and eat all of the remaining SB in the coming season. Savings would be about $900K.

    Steelers generally won't cut a guy this soon with this much money still owing. I'm not a fan, but expect to see Colon back at RT next season.

  6. #6

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    I think if they cut him after June 1st, they can elect to push the $3.6 mil to the following year or split it more evenly...like $2.4 this year and $2.4 next...

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    ....As far as the money thing goes, it looks like the deal Colon signed last season was a 5 year deal with a $6M SB. That means that the Steelers must still account for $4.8M in pro rated SB.

    The best way to save on next year's cap is to cut him after June 1. We save all of his $4.5M salary and only get charged his $1.2M SB which is already accounted for on the cap. We are then charged $3.6M dead money in 2013.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think if they cut him after June 1st, they can elect to push the $3.6 mil to the following year or split it more evenly...like $2.4 this year and $2.4 next...
    Now were talkin. This makes my thought even better. I think it is foolish for the Steelers to think they could rely on Willie Colon who has been injured two full straight seasons.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,824

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Since Marcus Gilbert is likely moving to LT, this may create a win-win situtation for the Steelers draft wise. I have been taking a long hard look at Zebrie Sanders (SKL gets credit for this ), and he is a solid RT who very well could come right in and start (like Gilbert did this tear). Because of the premium put on the LT those that are draft-able in round one are out of reach for the Steelers at 24. But a legit RT isnt. And quite frankly they may be even able to trade back a few spots and draft Zebrie Sanders along with acquiring another pick in round 2, 3, or 4. I am not a salary cap guy but I would think this would also free up "some" money by releasing Willie Colon. Too me, the more I look at this, the more I like it. I am not yet at 100% sold but I am starting to reach for my wallet.

    Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

    Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
    The OL you desribe is still weak at Guard and Ben would continue to a victum of pressure up the middle.

    Colon is not going anywhere unless it is via an injury settlement. The cap hit wouldn't make sense.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Since Marcus Gilbert is likely moving to LT, this may create a win-win situtation for the Steelers draft wise. I have been taking a long hard look at Zebrie Sanders (SKL gets credit for this ), and he is a solid RT who very well could come right in and start (like Gilbert did this tear). Because of the premium put on the LT those that are draft-able in round one are out of reach for the Steelers at 24. But a legit RT isnt. And quite frankly they may be even able to trade back a few spots and draft Zebrie Sanders along with acquiring another pick in round 2, 3, or 4. I am not a salary cap guy but I would think this would also free up "some" money by releasing Willie Colon. Too me, the more I look at this, the more I like it. I am not yet at 100% sold but I am starting to reach for my wallet.

    Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

    Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
    The OL you desribe is still weak at Guard and Ben would continue to a victum of pressure up the middle.

    Colon is not going anywhere unless it is via an injury settlement. The cap hit wouldn't make sense.
    Well word from the Steelers is they are very happy with Legursky and Foster at guard and according to what my cap guy steeler.fan.in.t.o. says....cutting Colon after June 1 saves 4.5 million. How does that not make sense?

    By the way anyone who thinks any team is going to solve all their offensive line problems in one off season is not thinking in reality. One piece at a time guys. Pouncey, Gilbert, Sanders and or Glenn is a step in a much better direction.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,348

    Re: Here is a thought on the Steelers draft...

    [quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dee Dub":27kgffys
    Since Marcus Gilbert is likely moving to LT, this may create a win-win situtation for the Steelers draft wise. I have been taking a long hard look at Zebrie Sanders (SKL gets credit for this ), and he is a solid RT who very well could come right in and start (like Gilbert did this tear). Because of the premium put on the LT those that are draft-able in round one are out of reach for the Steelers at 24. But a legit RT isnt. And quite frankly they may be even able to trade back a few spots and draft Zebrie Sanders along with acquiring another pick in round 2, 3, or 4. I am not a salary cap guy but I would think this would also free up "some" money by releasing Willie Colon. Too me, the more I look at this, the more I like it. I am not yet at 100% sold but I am starting to reach for my wallet.

    Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Sanders ( this may be the best O-line the Steelers have had in a long time).

    Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
    The OL you desribe is still weak at Guard and Ben would continue to a victum of pressure up the middle.

    Colon is not going anywhere unless it is via an injury settlement. The cap hit wouldn't make sense.
    Well word from the Steelers is they are very happy with Legursky and Foster at guard and according to what my cap guy steeler.fan.in.t.o. says....cutting Colon after June 1 saves 4.5 million. How does that not make sense?

    By the way anyone who thinks any team is going to solve all their offensive line problems in one off season is not thinking in reality. One piece at a time guys. Pouncey, Gilbert, Sanders and or Glenn is a step in a much better direction.[/quote:27kgffys]

    5 mil of Rooney's money unearned...That's why Colon isn't going anywhere if healthy. Being over the cap isn't coming as a surprise to the Rooney's or Colbert. They had a plan in place last year or they wouldn't have given Colon, Woodley, Polamalu, & Timmons those contracts if they weren't in the plans. They will shave by restructuring those deals & others but the cuts will be coming from names like Scott, Battle, Smith, Allen, & McFadden.....And if others like Kemo, Farrior, Foote, & Ward don't restructure...They could be gone too.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •