Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Gilbert says he'll likely be moved to Left Tackle

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Marcus Gilbert says he'll likely be moved to Left Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    Well, it looks like another season of OL musical chairs

I liked Gilbert, but I like him more at RT. Give him the chance to develop and learn a position.

LT at 1.24? I don't follow college ball enough, are there any good projections there?
    I don't see any legit OT prospects at 1.24. USC's Matt Kalil, Iowa's Riley Reiff, and Stanford's Jonathan Martin will all likely be off the board in the top half of the first round (and therefore out of our reach in round 1). The next tier of OT's (the Florida State pair Zebrie Sanders and Andrew Datko plus Ohio State's Mike Adams, among others) are likely day two picks.
    The player that interests me is Cordy Glenn who could develop into a good OT, maybe even a LT, but would be able to step in immediately at Guard. He will likely be there at 1.24 unless he just blows away teams leading up to the draft.

My non-professional football scout opinion is that Zebrie Sanders is just too light to be a factor in Year 1. Datko and Adams are proably late Round 2 picks at best. I also really like Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin as a Round 2 consideration.

I have no faith that Colon comes back healthy or stays that way so I'm with those who expect another year of the "OL Shuffle"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    I personally think Gilbert will blossom at LT and turn out to be on a "Marvel Smith" level or better. He has some pretty good feet and I like how he can recover because of his body control. He just plays over his feet...That is something you like to have going against speed rushers with some wiggle. You guys don't give him enough credit for what he did as a rookie without a camp. I also know there is alot of Colon haters. However, when healthy, & it appears that will be the case, he is a very good RT. This OL is one OG away from being very good and a second OG (which may be on the roster or in the draft) away from turning that corner and finally being a strength. Bash who you want...But I will take the 3 penciled starters and build.
    Count me in as one of the Colon haters. Not really a hater but definately a basher. The guy is a walking penalty flag machine. He hasn't played in over two years so it will take him at least a year of playing before he gets back to his mediocre self. I don't know if Ben will last that long. The biggest thing Colon has going for himself is he's Ben's BFF.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    Well, it looks like another season of OL musical chairs

I liked Gilbert, but I like him more at RT. Give him the chance to develop and learn a position.

LT at 1.24? I don't follow college ball enough, are there any good projections there?
    I don't see any legit OT prospects at 1.24. USC's Matt Kalil, Iowa's Riley Reiff, and Stanford's Jonathan Martin will all likely be off the board in the top half of the first round (and therefore out of our reach in round 1). The next tier of OT's (the Florida State pair Zebrie Sanders and Andrew Datko plus Ohio State's Mike Adams, among others) are likely day two picks.
    I agree. Not a great OT draft in the middle & end of the 1st. You throw some of these guys in some of the last 3 years of draft classes the scale would widen. There will be teams overdrafting them on need in the late 1st early second and I assume the Steelers won't be one. I don't see the Steelers looking for one early if they feel Colon will be fines & Gilbert will move to LT. Sounds like this will be the case. My gut tells me we won't see and OT inside the 1st three rounds.

Not a good year for OG at the Top but you could land one that may have you shaking your head in a couple of years in the 2nd & 3rd. I want Decastro in the 1st. Only OL I would take if he fell at #24...Which won't happen. Out of the guys early who may be in our range... I Like Washington & Zeitler in the 2nd or Nix in the 3rd. I actually believe all of them will win a starting spot day 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To count on Willie Colon in any capacity after missing the past two seasons due to injury is retarded. Heck, even relying on Pouncey at this point is worrisome considering his ankle history.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This time last year no one thought Marcus Gilbert could come in and start immediately. I think Zebrie Sanders could start and do a solid job at RT. And I know if Cordy Glenn is there at 24 he can start at LT or G and be solid.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    To count on Willie Colon in any capacity after missing the past two seasons due to injury is retarded. Heck, even relying on Pouncey at this point is worrisome considering his ankle history.
    I wouldnt use that word you used but I agree. It isnt a very smart thing to do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    I personally think Gilbert will blossom at LT and turn out to be on a "Marvel Smith" level or better. He has some pretty good feet and I like how he can recover because of his body control. He just plays over his feet...That is something you like to have going against speed rushers with some wiggle. You guys don't give him enough credit for what he did as a rookie without a camp..........
    I could see this too JPN.

Good post.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Dee Dub]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":13934f6k
    I personally think Gilbert will blossom at LT and turn out to be on a "Marvel Smith" level or better. He has some pretty good feet and I like how he can recover because of his body control. He just plays over his feet...That is something you like to have going against speed rushers with some wiggle. You guys don't give him enough credit for what he did as a rookie without a camp..........

Good post.[/quote:13934f6k]

I hope you guys are right. I just know that I was impressed with the job Gilbert did coming in as a rookie. I don't think Colon would have done nearly as well.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The player that interests me is Cordy Glenn who could develop into a good OT, maybe even a LT, but would be able to step in immediately at Guard. He will likely be there at 1.24 unless he just blows away teams leading up to the draft.
    Agreed! I've been on his band wagon all last college season

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

My non-professional football scout opinion is that Zebrie Sanders is just too light to be a factor in Year 1. Datko and Adams are proably late Round 2 picks at best. I also really like Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin as a Round 2 consideration. "
    Disagree!! Strongly. I believe he is bigger than what he is listed at ( 6ft 6 307). He supposedly under went a severe weight training program last spring and got bigger and stronger. Regardless of his weight is is reported to be a very strong player and he shows that on the field. Also not sure what it is but he has a tremendous wing span. Which for pass blocking is a plus. Also he is a 4 year start. That is huge.

By the way..Marcus Gilbert his sophmore year at Florida was 6 ft 6 298.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=ikestops85]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2efbjrt0

Good post.
    I hope you guys are right. I just know that I was impressed with the job Gilbert did coming in as a rookie. I don't think Colon would have done nearly as well.[/quote:2efbjrt0]

I am not on the Willie Colon bandwagon as much as I am on drafting Zebrie Sanders or Cordy Glenn for that spot.