Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Gilbert says he'll likely be moved to Left Tackle

Legend

User Info Menu

Marcus Gilbert says he'll likely be moved to Left Tackle

Per a site we are not allowed to post links to states during a Spreecast video chat, Gilbert said he was told during an exit meeting with the coaching staff that he'll likely be moved to LT. This means Max Starks will likely be gone in 2012 and Willie Colon will be brought back to play RT. Pouncey will play center, if he stays healthy. So we need a LG and RG. We have Legs, Scott, Foster, Essex and Kemo. I dont know what all this means, but I dont like it either.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Marcus Gilbert says he'll likely be moved to Left Tackle

it means that Gilbert and Colon are slated to be our starting OTs and Pouncey of course will start at OC.

Kemo is as good as gone so Legursky and Foster will be given the first shot to be our starting OGs and competition will come from a high draft choice or two and a possible low level FA signing.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

While I think Gilbert performed OK, but no way did I see the level of perfomance that would lead me to believe he is ready to play LT and protect Ben's blindside. I don't see anything yet except a slightly more talented Jon Scott. That is not enough to protect a franchise QB.

I'm hoping for Starks to come back.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    While I think Gilbert performed OK, but no way did I see the level of perfomance that would lead me to believe he is ready to play LT and protect Ben's blindside. I don't see anything yet except a slightly more talented Jon Scott. That is not enough to protect a franchise QB.

I'm hoping for Starks to come back.
    I'd also like to see Starks return, if for no other reason than depth, but with Starks having an ACL injury, who knows how much he'll weigh when the season starts.

Gilbert showed a lot of potential, but he also has room to go. The injury to Starks may allow the Steelers to retain him for the vet minimum, and let Starks, Colon and Gilbert compete.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't forget .. Gilbert didn't have OTA or full training camp and he still did passable. A lot of players make great strides between year 1 and 2.... so it is not out of the question that he could turn into at least as good of a tackle as Starks (especially with his ACL).
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

For some reason, the Steelers hate Starks and love Colon. If they treated Max like they're treating Willie, after Max tore his ACL in the final game, they'd have given him a raise and penciled him in as the starter.

For the life of me, I can't see how Colon > Starks.

Backup

User Info Menu

Well, it looks like another season of OL musical chairs

I liked Gilbert, but I like him more at RT. Give him the chance to develop and learn a position.

LT at 1.24? I don't follow college ball enough, are there any good projections there?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This has been talked about locally ever since training camp....Why are there still some people surprised by this? Oh well, some just don't get the memo....

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    Well, it looks like another season of OL musical chairs

I liked Gilbert, but I like him more at RT. Give him the chance to develop and learn a position.

LT at 1.24? I don't follow college ball enough, are there any good projections there?
    I don't see any legit OT prospects at 1.24. USC's Matt Kalil, Iowa's Riley Reiff, and Stanford's Jonathan Martin will all likely be off the board in the top half of the first round (and therefore out of our reach in round 1). The next tier of OT's (the Florida State pair Zebrie Sanders and Andrew Datko plus Ohio State's Mike Adams, among others) are likely day two picks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I personally think Gilbert will blossom at LT and turn out to be on a "Marvel Smith" level or better. He has some pretty good feet and I like how he can recover because of his body control. He just plays over his feet...That is something you like to have going against speed rushers with some wiggle. You guys don't give him enough credit for what he did as a rookie without a camp. I also know there is alot of Colon haters. However, when healthy, & it appears that will be the case, he is a very good RT. This OL is one OG away from being very good and a second OG (which may be on the roster or in the draft) away from turning that corner and finally being a strength. Bash who you want...But I will take the 3 penciled starters and build.