Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft Picks you would like Steelers to take....

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: Draft Picks you would like Steelers to take....

Quote Originally Posted by williar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword
    I would love it if we could get at least one of these guys.....

Offensive Linemen - Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
    Offensive tackle - Matt Kalil, University of Southern California
    Offensive Guard - Cordy Glenn, Georgia Bulldogs

Think we have a chance?

Sword
    As much as I am a proponent of drafting BPA....I would actually sign off on on drafting the best three O lineman with our top three picks.

Our OL has been IMO unjustly been the scapegoat for everything that is wrong with our team. Can't score, can't run, can't throw, can't tackle, can't block, can't coach, QB gets killed all because of our pitiful OL. I just want to see all of this banter put to rest if we get some quality O lineman... I honestly want to see with my own eyes how much better our offense performs with a quality OL... I desperately want to know if it is indeed the OL that is keeping Ben from reaching his potential as a quarterback...
    the way that it is right now i think an O-lineman with our first pick might be a bit of a reach so i think BPA might be good for round 1, but after that for rounds 2 and 3 take the best 2 O-line guys we can get.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    No chance at Kalil. Glenn could go in the top 15 if he plays well at the Senior Bowl.

Guys I like....

Day Two
    Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati 6'5 302 lbs. High effort guy. Strong against the run and a very good interior pass rusher. (round 2-3)
    Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech 6'4 206lbs. Runs well, unbelievable athleticism. Raw and still filling out his body. (round 3). Would be able to contribute as a red zone threat right away. Could develop into a #1 receiver in a year or two.
    Jonathan Massaquoi DE/OLB 6'2.5 265 lbs. Massaquoi is a an explosive pass rusher. He could immediately become a nickel pass rusher for us (like Aldon Smith does for the 49ers). Massaquoi has some strength and shows an ability to bull rush OTs once he gets them leaning. In time, Massaquoi should develop into a complete OLB and Harrison's replacement. Here is some tape from 2010 (bear in mind that he is only a sophomore and has put on 15-20 pounds since this tape).[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmaZVjwdzEk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmaZVjwdzEk[/url]

Middle round sleepers...

Brandon Brooks G, Miami of Ohio 6'5, 352 lbs. Huge road grader with decent athleticism.
    Rishaw Johnson G, California (PA) 6'3.5 312 lbs. Mississippi transfer with great tools.
    Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina 6' 203 lbs.
    Very nice post Steelblood. It's obvious you've been doing some "off the map" research. I was just looking at Josh Norman who could be a great nickel CB match up against bigger WR's or TE's. I'm hearing a lot about Derek Wolfe. If the coaches think Ziggy can play NT I would definitely take a look at him in the 3rd round.

My favorites are:

Zebrie Sanders OT (Florida St.)

Markelle Martin FS (Okla St)

Winston Guy SS (Kentucky)

Korey Williams ILB (Southern Mis)

Brian Bostick WR (Furman)

Tauren Poole RB (Tennessee)

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm a Florida State guy who will tell you that Zebrie Sanders is a human holding penalty...

I would love to see the team use its relatively high position in this year's draft to go up like we did when we got Troy. If we can go up about ten picks in the first round, I think we can get in position to take David DeCastro from Stanford, considered to be hands down the best offensive guard in the draft. Let's put him next to Pouncey, keep our franchise QB clean, neutralize Haloti Ngata, and re - invigorate our power running game to complement the pass. I think our offense could end up looking a lot like the one the Giants are putting out there right now if we did...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

POE.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I want to see BPA drafted as determined by the Steelers front office.

Backup

User Info Menu

Here's my take on a couple of these lower round guys--

I live in SW Ohio and saw Brandon Brooks from Miami play 6 times, 4 live & 2 times on TV. He is a physical specimen, built very much like Haloti Ngata. He looks like he's about 4' wide, and has no belly. That being said, as a player, he doesn't stick out. Miami very rarely ran the ball so there isn't much of a sample size to determine his run-blocking ability. As a pass blocker, he's big & athletic, but Miami's O-line as a group was poor, and poorly coached against stunts & blitzes, and again, he didn't distinguish himself.

Derek Wolfe, on the other hand, is fun to watch. He plays like a house on fire, it seems like he is involved on EVERY play. Great motor, good with his hands, and he improved every year that he was at UC. He has the size & strength to play end in a 3-4, and could move inside on passing situations and rush as a 4-3 DT, he's a good pass rusher.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TallyStiller
    I'm a Florida State guy who will tell you that Zebrie Sanders is a human holding penalty...

I would love to see the team use its relatively high position in this year's draft to go up like we did when we got Troy. If we can go up about ten picks in the first round, I think we can get in position to take David DeCastro from Stanford, considered to be hands down the best offensive guard in the draft. Let's put him next to Pouncey, keep our franchise QB clean, neutralize Haloti Ngata, and re - invigorate our power running game to complement the pass. I think our offense could end up looking a lot like the one the Giants are putting out there right now if we did...
    I didn't think we'd have a shot at DeCastro, because I thought that Dallas would take him at #14, and it would cost too much to move up to #13 with Arizona (it would take our 1st, 2nd, and 4th...740 + 340 + 56 = 1136...pick #13 is worth 1150). However, now that Dre Kirkpatrick was arrested for marijuana possession, he will likely fall out of the top 10, and he is too good of an athlete for Dallas to ignore consider how poorly their secondary has played of late (the Cowboys won't be concerned about this...they picked up Pac Man a few years ago, and once employed drug kingpins Sam Hurd and Nate Newton).

If DeCastro slides beyond Dallas, the Eagles or the Jets could be interested, but I think that Philly's biggest need is an ILB (such as Luke Kuechly) and the Jets could really use a dynamic pass rusher (such as Courtney Upshaw). I would then worry about Cincy's first pick, because they could use a top LG to replace Nate Livings. If Upshaw's off the board before the Jets pick at #16, might they be willing to trade down into the mid-20's and target someone like Whitney Mercilus or Nick Perry instead, while picking up another premium pick in the process? If so, we could potentially trade our 1st and 2nd round picks to the Jets for their 1st and 4th round picks. The numbers work out almost perfectly...1.24 (740) + 2.56 (340) = 1080 while 1.16 (1000) + 4.108 (7 = 1078. Too much to give up for a left guard? Perhaps...unless he turns into the next Alan Faneca, which is possible with this kid. Interesting...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledSteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    No chance at Kalil. Glenn could go in the top 15 if he plays well at the Senior Bowl.

Guys I like....

Day Two
    Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati 6'5 302 lbs. High effort guy. Strong against the run and a very good interior pass rusher. (round 2-3)
    Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech 6'4 206lbs. Runs well, unbelievable athleticism. Raw and still filling out his body. (round 3). Would be able to contribute as a red zone threat right away. Could develop into a #1 receiver in a year or two.
    Jonathan Massaquoi DE/OLB 6'2.5 265 lbs. Massaquoi is a an explosive pass rusher. He could immediately become a nickel pass rusher for us (like Aldon Smith does for the 49ers). Massaquoi has some strength and shows an ability to bull rush OTs once he gets them leaning. In time, Massaquoi should develop into a complete OLB and Harrison's replacement. Here is some tape from 2010 (bear in mind that he is only a sophomore and has put on 15-20 pounds since this tape).[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmaZVjwdzEk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmaZVjwdzEk[/url]

Middle round sleepers...

Brandon Brooks G, Miami of Ohio 6'5, 352 lbs. Huge road grader with decent athleticism.
    Rishaw Johnson G, California (PA) 6'3.5 312 lbs. Mississippi transfer with great tools.
    Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina 6' 203 lbs.
    Very nice post Steelblood. It's obvious you've been doing some "off the map" research. I was just looking at Josh Norman who could be a great nickel CB match up against bigger WR's or TE's. I'm hearing a lot about Derek Wolfe. If the coaches think Ziggy can play NT I would definitely take a look at him in the 3rd round.

My favorites are:

Zebrie Sanders OT (Florida St.)

Markelle Martin FS (Okla St)

Winston Guy SS (Kentucky)

Korey Williams ILB (Southern Mis)

Brian Bostick WR (Furman)

Tauren Poole RB (Tennessee)
    Josh Norman has looked great at the Shrine Bowl Practices according to all reports. It will be fun to watch him play this Saturday on NFLN. Brooks and Johnson will also play in that game. I also like Poole from your list very much. He will also be playing in the Shrine Game IIRC.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize
    Here's my take on a couple of these lower round guys--

I live in SW Ohio and saw Brandon Brooks from Miami play 6 times, 4 live & 2 times on TV. He is a physical specimen, built very much like Haloti Ngata. He looks like he's about 4' wide, and has no belly. That being said, as a player, he doesn't stick out. Miami very rarely ran the ball so there isn't much of a sample size to determine his run-blocking ability. As a pass blocker, he's big & athletic, but Miami's O-line as a group was poor, and poorly coached against stunts & blitzes, and again, he didn't distinguish himself.

Derek Wolfe, on the other hand, is fun to watch. He plays like a house on fire, it seems like he is involved on EVERY play. Great motor, good with his hands, and he improved every year that he was at UC. He has the size & strength to play end in a 3-4, and could move inside on passing situations and rush as a 4-3 DT, he's a good pass rusher.

Pete
    I also live in SW Ohio.

You can't really compare Brooks and Wolfe as prospects. Wolfe is a top 100 pick (maybe even a second rounder) who has a chance to make an immediate impact. Wolfe's game only needs polishing. He is ready to play.

Brooks is more of a mid-to-late-round prospect with potential. He didn't play in an offense that lends itself well to evaluation, and he is still developing as a player. Brooks is a little bit of a project. But, he could start relatively quickly if the right coach gets ahold of him.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Waive a magic wand and the Steelers take or guys we might have a shot at @ #24?

Magic Wand - Decastro

Guys that could be there...I have three that I keep bouncey back & forth on.

I have Poe because I think after it is all said and done he will be graded out there and be BPA & fill a need.

Burfict might be a guy where we say to ourselves in a couple of years..."What the hell was Colbert & Co thinking?" After we see him twice a year in a Ravens uniform. He has the ability to be the best defensive player in this draft....But never realized it in college and made some poor decisions on the field. Is he a Steelers type of guy? He would be my #1 but I don't know if or where the Steelers will have him on their board.

Hightower is somone I don't always feel good about at #24 as I watch highlights. I see some limitations at times. Also not sure if his production is because of the system and the talent around him or his own accomplishments. Would Hightower be a 1st rounder if he played for say Tennessee? I can't always answer yes to that.