Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Need - DLine

Legend

User Info Menu

Biggest Need - DLine

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion, we need to overhaul the DLine. We need to be able to control the LOS and pressure the QB with 3-4 guys.

The best teams in football control the LOS with their front 3 or 4. And we can't generate any pressure even when we blitz. And it's the weakness of our front 3.

Smitty's done. Hoke's done. Hampton might be done.

Keisel's playing at a high level. I don't know what we've got in Ziggy, Heyward, McClendon? But with these guys, I'm not sure we've got a dominant front. There's no one in that front that puts the fear of God in opposing offenses.

And if no one up front dominates, our OLBs are less effective. Our run defense is becoming suspect. And it's gonna put a lot of pressure on our secondary.

We need a Ngata, Suh, Smith, Seymore, etc.

Look at what Osi is doing to the complexion of the entire Giant's defense.

We need that one stud on the DLine. And it will make all the difference in the world on our defense.

Right now we're very mediocre across the board. And that's our biggest problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Biggest Need - DLine

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion, we need to overhaul the DLine. We need to be able to control the LOS and pressure the QB with 3-4 guys.

The best teams in football control the LOS with their front 3 or 4. And we can't generate any pressure even when we blitz. And it's the weakness of our front 3.

Smitty's done. Hoke's done. Hampton might be done.

Keisel's playing at a high level. I don't know what we've got in Ziggy, Heyward, McClendon? But with these guys, I'm not sure we've got a dominant front. There's no one in that front that puts the fear of God in opposing offenses.

And if no one up front dominates, our OLBs are less effective. Our run defense is becoming suspect. And it's gonna put a lot of pressure on our secondary.

We need a Ngata, Suh, Smith, Seymore, etc.

Look at what Osi is doing to the complexion of the entire Giant's defense.

We need that one stud on the DLine. And it will make all the difference in the world on our defense.

Right now we're very mediocre across the board. And that's our biggest problem.
    I don't disagree Flippy.

But, I think Heyward and Keisel are both decent pass rushers for big guys. I think both are capable of 5-6 sacks next season and lots of QB pressures. Finding another pass rusher to add to these guys and Harrison and Wood though would be a good idea. It would be nice to get a consistent rush with 4 guys.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Backup

User Info Menu

Sorry Flip, I gotta disagree. Our biggest need is OL. We need to score more points and have a defense good enough to make a few plays in a game. With the new rules, you can't put a defense on the field that will dominate consistently.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that we need to upgrade our DL, but it is far from our biggest need.

Our starting OL next season looks like:

LT Gilbert - coming off a rookie year and moving positions
    LG Legursky - unsigned and not starting material
    OC Pouncey - coming off of his second straight season ending injury
    RG Foster - *see Legursky
    RT Colon - Coming off of his second straight missed season and IMO not worth the big contract he signed.

Backups - J Scott, C Scott, Turner, Malecki

Assume - FA Essex doesn't return, and cut Kemo. I would also cut J Scott, but thats me.

And this is a unit that was already sub par.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    I agree that we need to upgrade our DL, but it is far from our biggest need.

Our starting OL next season looks like:

LT Gilbert - coming off a rookie year and moving positions
    LG Legursky - unsigned and not starting material
    OC Pouncey - coming off of his second straight season ending injury
    RG Foster - *see Legursky
    RT Colon - Coming off of his second straight missed season and IMO not worth the big contract he signed.

Backups - J Scott, C Scott, Turner, Malecki

Assume - FA Essex doesn't return, and cut Kemo. I would also cut J Scott, but thats me.

And this is a unit that was already sub par.

Steelers need to draft 2 O-lineman in draft or get some O-line in FA. Steelers need to have a stable O-line. O-line keeps changing every other game. How can we expect a consistent offense when we are not set in trenches on the Offense.

Steelers drafted 2 D-linemen in Rd 1 in last 3 years. And even after that if Steelers biggest need is DLine then i think something went wrong big time.

I am not impressed with Hood. I expected more from him in year 3. It seems he has regressed. And if Steelers are looking for Dlineman to occupy 2 blockers well you can get that in rd2 - rd 4 of the draft.

I am all for drafting Poe in rd 2. If he is available at 24 i will take a hard look at him.Some people say Dontari Poe plays like Haloti Ngata. If that is the case i would even trade up to draft him. Poe is the only D-lineman i would consider at 24.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Starter

User Info Menu

1) I agree that we need to get more pressure. But I don't agree that a complete DL overhaul is how to do that. Our pressure needs to come from our LB's. When your top 2 pro-bowl OLB's are hobbled with injuries for most of the season you are going to suffer. When they come back healthy next year we will be fine.

2) LeBeau's 3-4 is designed for D-Lineman who can stop the run and draw double teams - not rush the passer. That's who we've drafted. If we want pass rushers we should switch to a 4-3. If our 3 DL start going balls out for the QB it opens up gaps that leave us highly vulnerable in other areas (cut backs, screens, etc).

3) Our defense is ranked #1 in many categories. Our offense is ranked #21 in points scored. I don't understand how you can look at the actual numbers and think DL is our biggest problem. It is a problem, yes. But to say it is our biggest need is clearly off base.

4) I believe our biggest need is OL. There are many times when Ben takes sacks because he holds the ball too long. But there are also many many many times that opposing defenses blow right through our OL like a turnstyle. You can't put Foster and Legursky on the field and expect either one to slow down Ngata. But Carl Nicks can. Jhari Evans can. We need to draft stronger guards. That is our biggest need.

5) The NFL is now a passing league. If we want to win we must come to grips with that fact. I'm not suggesting we throw defense out the window I'm suggesting we get into balance. And right now our scoring is way out of balance. Way to low. That should be our focus. Drafting elite OL will help our passing game AND running game. And lengthen the career of our franchise QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How can that be the biggest need on the Steelers when they have all three starters set for 2012? The Steelers have already said they are going to look at Ziggy moving to NT. So with Heyward, Hood, and Keisel in place I dont see that as the biggest need.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Disagree, O-line is our biggest need right now.
    We never generate much pressure from the DL any way.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the defensive line is the Steelers greatest need then something has gone horribly wrong in the past few draft classes.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    How can that be the biggest need on the Steelers when they have all three starters set for 2012? The Steelers have already said they are going to look at Ziggy moving to NT. So with Heyward, Hood, and Keisel in place I dont see that as the biggest need.
    Have the Steelers said this? I saw Ed Bouchette suggest this as a hypothetical option, but I have not read where anybody from the Steelers has said or suggeted this.