Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    To with what Rooney said, I think you need to read between the lines.

First off he said that, injuries were not the cause of our loss to Denver. It wasn't the defense out with so many injuries but our offense. And having said that, the loss is on the offense. I know the defense screwed up but hey, we are the offense like so many others that doesn't have a fullback. Offenses today our high powered but just not our Steelers. He's blaming Arians for maybe not that loss but, an offense that struggles, can't make it in the redzone, yada, yada, yada with all of the fieldgoals that should have been some TD's in there every so often. Strike that, with our weapons on offense we, should be sprinkling in fieldgoals instead of the sprinkled in TD's that we do.

And why do you think he is not calling out the Defense? 23 points on road should be enough to defeat a QB like Tim Tebow. We were not playing Brady or Rodgers.

Art Rooney on the last play

""Well, it certainly was a tough ending. That was the worst last play of a season I've ever been through. Then again, it's the first time we've lost in the playoffs in overtime. "

And you still think he is calling the offense??
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Salary cap issues have Steelers in quandary

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Steelers have serious salary cap issues, and their roster won't get any younger during an offseason that started sooner than the team expected following a 29-23 overtime playoff loss in Denver.

But sweeping changes aren't planned for an organization long synonymous with stability.

"It's not a situation where we're looking to tear things apart and start over," team president Art Rooney II said Tuesday in his first interview since the Steelers were upset in Denver on Jan. 8. "I think there are a lot of pieces in place. Getting younger on defense is a process that's already started. Obviously, we have some decisions to make with certain players and their contracts."

Rooney said the organization is in the beginning stages of prioritizing a lengthy offseason to-do list. The biggest question facing the Steelers is what the salary cap will allow them to do — and what it may force them to do.

The Steelers are approximately $25 million over the salary cap, and they aren't counting on a spike in what teams are allowed to spend in 2012.

Rooney said the team has been told the cap limit won't significantly rise; it was just over $120 million last season.

"It's probably as big an issue as we've had to face," Rooney said.

But, Rooney said, the Steelers were in a similar situation last July following the end of the NFL lockout. Salary-cap issues didn't stop the Steelers from signing several players to long-term contracts, including linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, and strong safety Troy Polamalu.

Rooney said the Steelers will have to restructure contracts — something they did last year — to get in compliance with the cap. They also may have to release some veteran players.

Wide receiver Hines Ward is among several established Steelers who face an uncertain future in Pittsburgh.

Rooney said he has had a phone conversation with Ward, but he did not commit to bringing the Steelers' all-time leading receiver back for another season.

Ward, who has two years left on his contract and is set to make more than $4 million in 2012, said earlier this month that he has no plans to retire.

"He's one of the all-time Steelers," Rooney said. "Hopefully, he's a Hall of Famer. You want it to end the right way whenever it ends, but it's a two-party decision. We'll evaluate how we feel about it over the next few weeks."

Rooney said the youth and talent the Steelers have at wide receiver is "a particular bright spot." He also said the Steelers will try to sign Mike Wallace to a long-term contract. Wallace, who will start in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month, is a restricted free agent.

"There's no question Mike Wallace will be one of the priorities," Rooney said, "but we're at the beginning of that process."

Rooney said running back Rashard Mendenhall is a part of the Steelers' long-term plans. The team, Rooney said, will evaluate how Mendenhall progresses as he recovers from tearing his ACL in the regular-season finale in Cleveland.

Mendenhall, a 2008 first-round draft pick, is going into the final year of his contract.

"Whether we sign him in advance of this season or not; I think Rashard has demonstrated that he can be a major contributor for us," Rooney said, "so we'll more than likely be trying to sign him to a contract at the appropriate time, whenever that is."

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777127.html#ixzz1jwrVaB9z"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1jwrVaB9z[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

To with what Rooney said, I think you need to read between the lines.

First off he said that, injuries were not the cause of our loss to Denver. It wasn't the defense out with so many injuries but our offense. And having said that, the loss is on the offense. I know the defense screwed up but hey, we are the offense like so many others that doesn't have a fullback. Offenses today our high powered but just not our Steelers. He's blaming Arians for maybe not that loss but, an offense that struggles, can't make it in the redzone, yada, yada, yada with all of the fieldgoals that should have been some TD's in there every so often. Strike that, with our weapons on offense we, should be sprinkling in fieldgoals instead of the sprinkled in TD's that we do.
    Arian bashers are hilarious. You don't need 40 points to beat the Broncos.. 20 points is more than enough when you have the #1 D in football.

Arian haters are so obsessed every thing the read says Arians sucks.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've stated that the defense screwed up, there is no doubt with me that the defense lost this game. Still, had the offense put up more points, stuck with a run game that was working without an injured Ben throwing 40 times Tebow would have not had the ball in his hand so much.
    Say all you want about the last game and it is on the defense but, to have all the weapons this team has on offense we should be putting up points like the Cheats and other good offenses.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've stated that the defense screwed up, there is no doubt with me that the defense lost this game. Still, had the offense put up more points, stuck with a run game that was working without an injured Ben throwing 40 times Tebow would have not had the ball in his hand so much.
    Say all you want about the last game and it is on the defense but, to have all the weapons this team has on offense we should be putting up points like the Cheats and other good offenses.
    you just said the loss was on the offense..

If we need 40 points to beat the Bronco's it really says something about our D. If we need to keep the ball out of Tebow's hands it says something about our D.

Tebow didn't dink and dunk us...

and we don't have Rodgers, Brees or Brady... we have Ben and he isn't known for pocket passing, he is known for extending plays. We will never put up points like those other teams week in and wee out.

Funny thing is... Brees and Rodgers are also done and they put up a ton of points all year. It takes more than that to win in the playoffs.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With what Arians is trying to do with our offense of going for the rainbow passes, nothing underneath, not allowing for the the short stuff or allowing for ball control with the run game that, can add into as much of a factor with the losses.

Yes, we should have went to Denver and been able to put up 23 points and walked out of there with a win. So many people didn't even believe that the Broncos would put up a TD on us let alone beat us.

If Arian wants us to be this big passing offense, won't have a fullback, won't take the short stuff that is allowed then, he better be putting up a lot of points on the board so that, our defense doesn't need to keep other teams down to field goals.

He has his quarterback, his receivers, a number one pick at runningback. He wants TE over fullbacks that he doesn't use much anyway, he has it all and he still can't get the offense to take over a game.

I thought the offense did better last season and saved the defense many times and I have issues with Lebeau too. It's hard to complain about a guy that usually has the number 1 to 5 ranked defense but, when he losses it isn't usulaly he got out schemed or didn't adjust. That happens to be the case against the Broncos with Lebeau getting schooled. And to me, both Arians and Lebeau finally figured out how to have some success over the Cheats.

Ball control on offense to keep Brady on the bench, more man to man on defense and less blitzing on Brady because Brady, reads too fast and unloads too fast with accuracy.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Arians doesn't put up points...that isn't his responsibility...

The players are supposed to do that...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

With what Arians is trying to do with our offense of going for the rainbow passes, nothing underneath, not allowing for the the short stuff or allowing for ball control with the run game that, can add into as much of a factor with the losses.

Yes, we should have went to Denver and been able to put up 23 points and walked out of there with a win. So many people didn't even believe that the Broncos would put up a TD on us let alone beat us.

If Arian wants us to be this big passing offense, won't have a fullback, won't take the short stuff that is allowed then, he better be putting up a lot of points on the board so that, our defense doesn't need to keep other teams down to field goals.

He has his quarterback, his receivers, a number one pick at runningback. He wants TE over fullbacks that he doesn't use much anyway, he has it all and he still can't get the offense to take over a game.

I thought the offense did better last season and saved the defense many times and I have issues with Lebeau too. It's hard to complain about a guy that usually has the number 1 to 5 ranked defense but, when he losses it isn't usulaly he got out schemed or didn't adjust. That happens to be the case against the Broncos with Lebeau getting schooled. And to me, both Arians and Lebeau finally figured out how to have some success over the Cheats.

Ball control on offense to keep Brady on the bench, more man to man on defense and less blitzing on Brady because Brady, reads too fast and unloads too fast with accuracy.
    BEN picks who he wants to pass to and he prefers the long passes.

The Saints game 2 years ago was a prime example of BA wanting to go vertical because all the routes were 25 yards up field.

This year Heath and AB were open a ton underneath but Ben went to Wallace. Wallace is great at opening things up for the WR's underneath but BEN has to throw to them.

Arians retired so we will see if the offense improves by a ton without him but I'm pretty sure as long as Wallace is on our team we will complain about the OC calling rainbow passes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers were the No.2 team on Offense regarding TOP. Now even though they did not score bunch of points they did control the ball which helped the Steelers Defense. Steelers move the ball from 20-20 very efficiently. Its the Red zone which is the achilles heel for Steelers Offense.

People have fallen in love with the game plan against Patriots. In the end Steelers scored only 25 points. Dink and Dunk offense did not solve red zone woes for Steelers.

Ball Control is never an issue with the Steelers offense. Scoring in Red Zone is an issue. Do i blame OC for that? Yes he should take some blame but players including Ben should take responsibility for failure to execute in the red zone.

I want Steelers OC to be replaced not because BA sucks but i think BA does not bring anything new to the plate. I want new OC to tweak the current system not overhaul it.

My Wish List from new OC:
    I hope to see fewer runs on 1st down and in Red Zone. No more stupid 3 TE sets. I want more 3-4 WR set. And i want RB like Sproles in the backfield maybe Batch will be that person.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel

Steelers were the No.2 team on Offense regarding TOP. Now even though they did not score bunch of points they did control the ball which helped the Steelers Defense. Steelers move the ball from 20-20 very efficiently. Its the Red zone which is the achilles heel for Steelers Offense.

People have fallen in love with the game plan against Patriots. In the end Steelers scored only 25 points. Dink and Dunk offense did not solve red zone woes for Steelers.

Ball Control is never an issue with the Steelers offense. Scoring in Red Zone is an issue. Do i blame OC for that? Yes he should take some blame but players including Ben should take responsibility for failure to execute in the red zone.

I want Steelers OC to be replaced not because BA sucks but i think BA does not bring anything new to the plate. I want new OC to tweak the current system not overhaul it.

My Wish List from new OC:
    I hope to see fewer runs on 1st down and in Red Zone. No more stupid 3 TE sets. I want more 3-4 WR set. And i want RB like Sproles in the backfield maybe Batch will be that person.

I wonder if Mendenhall falls out of favor now that Arians is gone?