Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Backup

User Info Menu

Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Over the course of 30 minutes Tuesday afternoon, Art Rooney laid out plenty of information and his own opinions about the Steelers of 2011 and where they are headed in '12.

It included his statement that the Steelers find themselves in their stickiest salary-cap situation in the past 20 years, his idea that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger needs to "tweak" his style in order to get sacked less, that his offense needs to score more and that some tough decisions will have to be made on venerable veteran players that might include Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith.

He also predicted his father, Dan Rooney, will step down as Ambassador to Ireland this year and return in some capacity to the Steelers.

The Steelers are about $25 million over their individual salary cap which should be around $124 million next season and are deciding how to shed about 20 percent of that payroll by the March 13 deadline.

"I would say it's probably as big an issue as we've had to face," Rooney said. "There will be some tough decisions. There will probably have to be some contracts that get restructured and things like that. No question, there's a lot of work to be done."

Rooney would not say which players might have to either go or have their salaries scaled back in order for them to stick around. When asked specifically about Ward and his status for 2012, he was noncommittal.

"Hines is a great player. He's one of the all-time Steelers. Hopefully, he's a Hall of Famer. All of those things, you want it to end the right way whenever it ends. But it's a two-party decision. We'll evaluate how we feel about it over the next few weeks, we'll talk to Hines -- I've already had one conversation with Hines, so the communications are already started. We will all get to our decision in due time."

Among the many topics Rooney broached Tuesday:

• Despite the bloated payroll that must be pared, "it's not a situation where we're looking to sort of tear things apart and start over. There are a lot of key pieces to the puzzle and young players on offense that I think will get better, the receivers being a particular bright spot. We have a couple good young offensive linemen. We have our franchise quarterback. So, I think the pieces are there to get better. We just have to do what we need to do to build on that."

• Roethlisberger needs to take fewer sacks as he turns 30.

"I'm not sure if I'd say change his style of play. He may need to tweak it a little bit, but Ben is Ben, and you wouldn't want to try to convince him to completely change his game. A lot of what he does is the reason he is successful. On the other side of the coin, he is turning 30, and we do need him to stay healthy, and taking fewer sacks would probably help that equation."

• He expects Dan Rooney to step down as Ambassador and return to the Steelers this year.

"I think he'll come back and be a key player, let's put it that way. He obviously enjoys being part of the team. We'll look forward to having him back whenever he decides he's coming back. He hasn't given me a date yet."

• No question, Rooney said, that signing wide receiver Mike Wallace "will be one of the priorities" this year. Wallace becomes a restricted free agent March 13.

• The Steelers will add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field after the 2012 season. They will be in the open end zone, where the temporary seats were installed for the Penguins' Winter Classic. They will turn to their season-ticket waiting list to sell them.

• Rooney said a few coaches are considering retirement, but would not say who they might be. (Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has told them he wants to return.)

• He called the Steelers' 29-23 loss on the first play of overtime in the wild-card playoff game at Denver "the worst ending to a playoff game" he has experienced. He said, however, that injuries were not to blame.

• "We didn't reach our ultimate goal," Rooney said. "But, on the other side, there are positive things we can take out of it." Among those: A good mix of younger and older players, including younger players they signed to long-term deals last year who they hope will become a new core for the future.

• As for some of the negatives: "We need to take fewer sacks," need to be more consistent on offense, need to do better than No. 21 in scoring, need to come up with more sacks and turnovers on defense. "Those are areas we want to try to be better at next year," Rooney said.

• The positives: "We have a good mix of younger players and veterans on this team." And they have their quarterback signed long-term.

• He thought Mike Tomlin and his coaches "did a good job," especially because the lockout put "more pressure" on the coaching staff.

• Under normal circumstances, the Steelers make no splash in free agency and, with their cap the way it is, that will hold true again.

"It's unlikely that we'll be a big player in the free-agent market, I think that's fair to say. I think it will be similar to how we pursued it in the past. Our key interest will be to keep the players we have, to see if we can sign some of our younger players to longer-term contracts, that will be our key goal. If we have an opportunity to fit in a piece here and a piece there, we'll look at it."

Rooney also said he was "optimistic" about the ultimate recovery of Kirby Wilson, the Steelers running backs coach severely burned in a home fire Jan. 6. Later, Wilson's family released the following statement:

"Mr. Kirby Wilson remains in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh. In addition to burns sustained over 45 percent of his body, he has suffered a smoke inhalation injury and will require multiple operative procedures in the future."

Quick hits
    Tyler Grisham, a popular receiver on the Steelers practice squad the past three seasons, was signed by the Denver Broncos. ... Doctors are still evaluating Brett Keisel's groin injury in the playoff at Denver to determine if he needs surgery. ... Rashard Mendenhall has had surgery on his ACL

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204146-66-0.stm#ixzz1jojKDqH6"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/12 ... z1jojKDqH6[/url]

Thank God the old man is coming back. Maybe, just maybe he can talk some sense into the other owners about Adolf Badell and the (wrong) direction the leage is heading. Doubtful but if anyone has a chance, it's Dan.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Ben has to take less sacks... where have we heard that before?

I think we are in a good place. We have to cut a few guys and restructure a few contracts but we've done a pretty good job at getting younger IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Who's retiring?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good Luck to Tyler Grisham.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

• Rooney said a few coaches are considering retirement, but would not say who they might be
    Hope this is code for we are tired of Bruce Arians

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To me Art Rooney is hungry for championships. Art Sr. and Dan to my knowledge ever spoke up about team items. I remember the season prior to Bill Cowher super bowl win, Art Jr. after the season said something to the affect. "I'm ready to win a Super Bowl " or something to the point of, he has given Cowher all that he has needed now return me the trophy. That is how I read into it.

I pray to God that Arians is the coach that would like to retire.
    I too have been saying what Art has said, " injuries are not the reason why we lost to the Broncos. " Didn't help not having our starters but, Lebeau with his non defense and Arians couldn't score at a cat house along with Tomlin not being a real head coach is what really beat us.
    There should be no props for our coaches when dealing with the lockout. Every coach outside of Bellicheat had to face the same thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lots of things he said were the same things said here, often repeatedly, that others shouted down b/c it's just a message board. I think there are some very knowledgeable fans posting here (some nutbags as well...)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig
    To me Art Rooney is hungry for championships. Art Sr. and Dan to my knowledge ever spoke up about team items. I remember the season prior to Bill Cowher super bowl win, Art Jr. after the season said something to the affect. "I'm ready to win a Super Bowl " or something to the point of, he has given Cowher all that he has needed now return me the trophy. That is how I read into it.

I too have been saying what Art has said, " injuries are not the reason why we lost to the Broncos. " Didn't help not having our starters but, Lebeau with his non defense and Arians couldn't score at a cat house along with Tomlin not being a real head coach is what really beat us.
    There should be no props for our coaches when dealing with the lockout. Every coach outside of Bellicheat had to face the same thing.
    I hope it's Aians too...

I'm sick of hearing people whine about him.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig

I hope it's Aians too...

I'm sick of hearing people whine about him.

Hallelujah!!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!

Imagine the joy of a message board without Arians threads...at least until the fourth or fifth game under a new OC and then he would be deeemed an idiot too. I'll take those four or five games.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Other than Arians and LeBeau (who is returning), who is around the typical retirement age? Granted, with the dollars these guys are given any could afford to, but who is around that typical age?
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S