Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Re: Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

Rooney II: 'I think there are a lot of pieces in place'

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Art Rooney II likes the Steelers' blend of youth and experience, and the team president said he doesn't anticipate making sweeping changes after the team's 29-23 loss to Denver in the AFC playoffs.

"It's not a situation where we're looking to tear things apart and start over," Rooney said today in a wide-ranging interview. "I think there are a lot of pieces in place."

The biggest question facing the Steelers this offseason is keeping the core of their team together. The Steelers are around $25 million over the salary cap, which means the team has to make some tough decisions before March 13, the start of the new NFL year.

"There's no question salary cap's an issue," Rooney said. "It's probably as big an issue as we've had to face."

Rooney said restructuring contracts and shedding salary are ways that the Steelers will get in compliance with the cap. The Steelers, he added, faced significant cap issues before the beginning of last season and were able to work through them. When asked his overall thoughts on the 2011 season, Rooney said, "We didn't reach out ultimate goal but there are positives we can take out of it and things we can build on. That's the process we're starting now, is to figure out how we get better in 2012."

Here are some other highlights from Rooney's first interview since the season ended:

He praised Hines Ward but did not commit to bringing the Steelers all-time leading receiver back in 2012.

"He's one of the all-time Steelers," Rooney said, "Hopefully he'll be a Hall of Famer. You want it end the right way when it ends."

He said signing wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term contract will be one of the Steelers' top priorities this offseason.

Wallace, who is starting in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month, will be a restricted free agent in March.

Rooney also said the youth and depth the Steelers have at wide receiver is a "particularly bright" spot.

Rooney said the Steelers need to become more consistent on offense and that they need to take less sacks.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 42 times during the regular season. His sack totals are always high, in part because of Roethlisberger's tendency to hold onto the ball and try to extend plays.

When asked if Roethlisberger has to change his style of play, Rooney said, He may need to tweak it a little bit but Ben is Ben and you wouldn't want to convince him that he's got to completely change his game because a lot of what we does is the reasons he's successful. The other side of the coin is he is turning 30 and we do need him to stay healthy."

Rooney said the Steelers will add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field following the 2012 season. Plans to expand the stadium were put on hold by the NFL lockout that wiped out the 2011 offseason.

He said he expects his father, Dan, to step down after serving one term as U.S. Ambassador to Ireland.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1jqDCnom8

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Other than Arians and LeBeau (who is returning), who is around the typical retirement age? Granted, with the dollars these guys are given any could afford to, but who is around that typical age?
    My guess, it is in fact Arians who will retire. He was retiring last year, unitl Ben talked him out of it.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Anyone want to bet if we kick Hines to the curb that the Patriots have him signed up within a short period of time & he goes on for 2 more seasons and kicks butt?
    @_Hellgrammite

I wonder if he feels we have a consistent running game again with Redman in the backfield?
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Other than Arians and LeBeau (who is returning), who is around the typical retirement age? Granted, with the dollars these guys are given any could afford to, but who is around that typical age?
    D-Line coach John Mitchell is getting to be about retirement age. He was an assistant with Bruce Arians at Alabama under Bear Bryant. Hell, Coach Mitchell played for Bryant.
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Good question on what coach is at the age of retirement. The oldest that I'm aware of is Lebeau and Arians. Boy, oh boy, I hope it is Arians so people realize us whiners have been right all along.

I know the offensive line has had it's troubles but, what team has all their pieces in place ? Even at that, this is why Arian needs to go. Say that we do have a poor offensive line, Arian does nothing to get around it. He doesn't back off the defenses with screens, short passes, more shot guns, no huddles or a fullback or even anytype of run game. Then there are tightends on this team that could be implemented better.

You have an injured Ben but Arian has him throwing it 40 times a game when, our runningbacks are crushing the opponents.

Yep, I'll biitch about Arians and now Tomlin too for not trying to make improvements by getting rid of his sorry asss. Prior to last season I was going to put Tomlin on my shiit list because he did nothing about Arians or at least influenced him to make changes but, I held back on Tomlin since we have a lot of talented weapons on offense and I even figured Arians couldn't screw it up. WRONG !!!

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Considering Kirby Wilson just got totally burned maybe he will retire & the comment is directed toward that.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

Didn't Mitchell say something to the effect that he'd retire when the Aarron Smith, Hoke, Hampton & Keisel hung 'em up? Two of the three are definitely gone & the other two have serious injuries...would that be enough?

If Arians goes, do we assume that Randy Fichtner gets the job automatically or do they step outside the organization? And if so, who?...Tom Clements, Hugh Jackson, Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints)?

Wilson retiring is a no-brainer.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

To with what Rooney said, I think you need to read between the lines.

First off he said that, injuries were not the cause of our loss to Denver. It wasn't the defense out with so many injuries but our offense. And having said that, the loss is on the offense. I know the defense screwed up but hey, we are the offense like so many others that doesn't have a fullback. Offenses today our high powered but just not our Steelers. He's blaming Arians for maybe not that loss but, an offense that struggles, can't make it in the redzone, yada, yada, yada with all of the fieldgoals that should have been some TD's in there every so often. Strike that, with our weapons on offense we, should be sprinkling in fieldgoals instead of the sprinkled in TD's that we do.

Pro Bowler

We have a couple good young offensive linemen

I guess he let the rest of those boys know how he feels about them.