Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock of Ages: A 3 Round Mock

Mock of Ages: A 3 Round Mock

A mock that I feel would address our needs on the o-line and d-line.

Round 1:

Begin building this line into a solid unit. He has played guard and center and gives us options WHEN Pouncey goes down.

Peter Konz C/G Wisconsin

Via Wes Bunting at National Football Post:

-A smart kid who helps make all the line calls and exhibits impressive awareness working in tandem with his guards in the pass game.
    - Keeps his head on a swivel, locates blitzing linebackers and is quick to adjust.
    - Showcases natural change of direction skills and foot quickness when asked to re-direct and mirror.
    - Drops pad level quickly and even if he does give up initial leverage works his hands well and has the ability to re-set his hands and anchor on contact.
    - Showcases the natural power in his lower half, length and hand placement to gain leverage and anchor out vs. bigger tackles once he gains leverage.
    - Is heavy handed and sticks well once engaged.

Round 2:

Draft Hamp's replacement who can come in on day one and contribute with Mclendon:

Josh Chapman NT Alabama

Via Wes Bunting National Football Post:

A thick, girthy defender with a strong looking lower half and long arms for his frame. Exhibits a strong anchor on contact when asked to eat up blocks inside. Is tough to move off the football, keeps his base down and works his hands quickly to maintain/regain leverage and hold the point inside.

Round 3:

Draft another interior player who can come in and play from day one.

Lucas Nix OG Pittsburgh

Via Wes Bunting National Football Post:

Exhibits the ability to keep his pad level down off the ball, coil up into his stance and generate a snap into contact. Does a much better job as a senior keeping his pad level down into contact, extending his arms and creating an initial surge as an in-line guy. Takes good angles when trying to create run lanes inside, is quick off the ball, can seal quickly and keep his man from the play. He is also very impressive when asked to block down, he looks much more explosive off the snap, and he snaps from the hips and into his punch, running his legs well through contact. Plays with a mean streak, loves to finish and has a real nasty demeanor to his game, always looking to hit someone. Exhibits good body control at the second level when asked to break down, but at times seems to key up and will take himself out of plays trying to cut down targets. If he can improve his pad level a bit out of his stance, he has the natural get-off explosion to create movement and looks to have the flexibility capable of doing so.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Re: Mock of Ages: A 3 Round Mock

I like his second and third picks as you can see by my signature, however, if you are going to go by what good ol' Wes is saying then we have no chance at Konz. He has him #5 overall on his big board.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

I really like this type of draft because it makes us more competitive with the Ravens. We have to get better in the trenches. We need some dominate players not just adequate players. If we have the ability to fight back they simply can't beat us because of our QB and skill guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    I like his second and third picks as you can see by my signature, however, if you are going to go by what good ol' Wes is saying then we have no chance at Konz. He has him #5 overall on his big board.
    I like the way Wes scouts, obviously most draft write-ups are poppy cock or we would never see bust.

But I will say that the place for elite centers/guards in the draft seems to be anywhere from pick 15 to 25. I think Konz will be available at 24. He is not graded quite as high as the Pouncey twins. That was a perfect storm of need with Miami and getting a bounce from Maurkice that landed Mike at pick 15.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

ESPN's Rankings have Konz ranked at #90. He is listed 35 places behind his teammate OG Kevin Zeitler.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rankings?year=2012

Kiper does not have him in his Top 25 and Scouts Inc. doesn't have him in their Top 32.

Point I'm making is I think there is a lot of sorting out that needs to happen before any of these rankings mean anything. I'm always suspicious of a player who comes out of nowhere like Konz. He may be the real deal but I doubt he is jumping into the Top 20.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    I really like this type of draft because it makes us more competitive with the Ravens. We have to get better in the trenches. We need some dominate players not just adequate players. If we have the ability to fight back they simply can't beat us because of our QB and skill guys.
    I agree, without any specific commentary yet on the individual players involved. I'd like to see lots of big ugglies on both sides of the ball. The only downside to a draft like this is that the Steelers could still use another young body at ILB, and I'd hate to see them wait until the 4th to address that area.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I'd like to see lots of big ugglies on both sides of the ball. The only downside to a draft like this is that the Steelers could still use another young body at ILB, and I'd hate to see them wait until the 4th to address that area.

I would like to see OG, NT and ILB addressed with the first 3 picks and not necessarily in that order.

I agree, without any specific commentary yet on the individual players involved. I'd like to see lots of big ugglies on both sides of the ball. The only downside to a draft like this is that the Steelers could still use another young body at ILB, and I'd hate to see them wait until the 4th to address that area.

Yeah we are weak at the ILB position opposite Timmons. Just think we can hide that deficiency more readily than the weaknesses on the O and D lines. Foote will beat out Stevenson. And we'll take a shot on a kid in the later rounds and see what he can do at ILB. Love Farrior but this is it. No room on the roster nor money in the bank. But Farrior still has the heart and the smarts.

If the Steelers like what Worilds did this season and they have to lose Foote (possibly Farrior a well)....

Do you take a chance and move Harrison inside?
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Yeah we are weak at the ILB position opposite Timmons. Just think we can hide that deficiency more readily than the weaknesses on the O and D lines. Foote will beat out Stevenson. And we'll take a shot on a kid in the later rounds and see what he can do at ILB. Love Farrior but this is it. No room on the roster nor money in the bank. But Farrior still has the heart and the smarts.
    Agree. A good NT will make Farrior's replacement better, but a first round stud ILB will not make a weak NT as improved.