Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat 1.16.12: Ziggy at NT?

Backup

Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat 1.16.12: Ziggy at NT?

Ziggy is too soft to play the NOSE!!!!

If the coaching staff allows him to start there, our run defense will be hot, smoking garbage!!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Hall of Famer

John: With a somewhat low pick and Lebeaus difficult scheme and if we go D with the first pick. which position need would be easier to have a first year starter? DT, ILB, OLB

Ed Bouchette: Having a low pick did not stop them from drafting Pouncey and him starting immediately. Same for Marcus Gilbert. Of those three, NT

Seriously Ed? The guy was asking about how hard it is to be a first year starter in our defense (which is undeniable) and you refute this by using offensive linemen as your evidence. You are a tool who puts the bare minimum of effort into most of what you do.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    John: With a somewhat low pick and Lebeaus difficult scheme and if we go D with the first pick. which position need would be easier to have a first year starter? DT, ILB, OLB

Ed Bouchette: Having a low pick did not stop them from drafting Pouncey and him starting immediately. Same for Marcus Gilbert. Of those three, NT

Seriously Ed? The guy was asking about how hard it is to be a first year starter in our defense (which is undeniable) and you refute this by using offensive linemen as your evidence. You are a tool who puts the bare minimum of effort into most of what you do.
    I was going to post this exact thing but my pesky job got in the way. What a lazy, douche comment. Oh wait, that's almost all of his comments.

I think Ed Bouchette needs to jump off the closest cliff/bridge in Pittsburgh. The guy is a miserable old man.

Most of his comments provided no insight at all. He doesn't answer any question directly and 90% of his responses are rude. He just comes across as a complete a-hole.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I think Ed Bouchette needs to jump off the closest cliff/bridge in Pittsburgh.
    Take your pick:

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    IMO Ziggy at NT could be a positive. Ziggy was a very good interior pass rusher coming out of college until we trained him to just hold OTs. Our DL needs to go more into the attack mode to disrupt the opponents offense similar to what Baltimore does versus just hold in place.
    In the Steelers scheme, the defense lineman, especially the NT, are expected to occupy two blockers to allow the linebackers to make plays. However, they certainly do more than just "hold OTs" as you suggest. In some of his peak seasons, Aaron Smith had 8 sacks, as did KVO one year. Ray Seals had I believe nine sacks in 1995.

Part of commanding the double team is playing to a level where you cannot be blocked effectively one-on-one. I've heard lineman say that Aaron Smith in his prime was unblockable. You don't see or hear that from Ziggy, who seemed to regress a bit at times this year. He has the size and probably the quickness to be an effective 3-4 DE, but at times, he seems to struggle with holding the point of attack or setting the edge. I also don't see the disruption or burst that you'd hope to see from him. Heyward, on the other hand, has shown more flashes of that.

I'm not at all suggesting that Ziggy is a bust - I think he can be a solid starter at DE. But so far, he hasn't shown that he can play up to the level of even KVO. He needs to continue to improve.

As a NT, I haven't seen that he has the strength to be a 3-4 NT in the Hampton mold or the disrputiveness to play in the mold of a Chris Hoke. He seems better suited as an end.

I think the ideal for this defense would be adding a 3-4 NT of the future, and I've always thought, with this being the last year of Hampton's deal, that this was the time to make the move. If Hampton returns, the rookie gets a year to learn from Hampton.

I think the Steelers will need another stout player on the DL. We saw the way they had to completely sell out to try to stop the Denver running game, and the way that the Ravens have had success running the ball against Pittsburgh. Ziggy, Heyward, Kiesel, Rookie NT, McClendon and perhaps Hampton is a nice mix of youth and veteran savvy up front, and gives the Steelers nice depth.

I'd prefer a real NT to moving Ziggy to NT.

Starter

if hampton is due 8 million next year i say cut him. he is no where close to that valuable in my opinion
    Steelers Trade #15 (1st) to 49ers for #’s 30, 61 (1st, 2nd) and RB – LaMichael James

1. Kyle Fuller –CB– Virginia Tech –6/200
    2. Shayne Skov –ILB– Stanford –6-2/245
    2. Cody Latimer –WR– Indiana –6-2/ 220
    3. Justin Ellis –NT– Louisiana Tech –6-2/330
    4. Shaquil Barrett –OLB– CSU –6-2/250
    5. Shaquille Richardson –CB– Arizona –6/200
    5. Taylor Hart –DE– Oregon –6-5/280
    6. Seantrel Henderson –OT– Miami –6-7/330
    6. Jordan Najvar – TE – Baylor – 6-6/250
    7. Nick Williams –S– North Alabama –6-2/220

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    if hampton is due 8 million next year i say cut him. he is no where close to that valuable in my opinion
    I've always been a Hampton fan but I totally agree with this. You can't pay a player 8/million when he rarely even plays on 3rd down. Compound that with a player that has definitely declined in production and you have a prime cut candidate. No Hampton, no "primte cut" as in a good steak. "Prime cut" as in you can kiss your 8/million next year goodbye

Legend

That's insane for a 2 down NT

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I've always been a Hampton fan but I totally agree with this. You can't pay a player 8/million when he rarely even plays on 3rd down. Compound that with a player that has definitely declined in production and you have a prime cut candidate. No Hampton, no "primte cut" as in a good steak. "Prime cut" as in you can kiss your 8/million next year goodbye
    Where it gets tricky is that $8 million is the cap hit, but a significant portion of that (approximately $3 million, I think) is a prorated portion of his signing bonus. So whether he steps on the field or not, his cap hit will be at least $3 million. He would likely have to agree to an extension or reduction to return, and there are also the health issues.

One of many complicated situations the Steelers will have to address.