Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Unrestricted Free Agents Steelers may be interested in

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Some Unrestricted Free Agents Steelers may be interested in

D’Qwell Jackson ILB Browns
    Carl Nicks G Saints
    LaRon Landry FS Redskins—back to back injury years could mean a discount. When healthy he is elite.
    E.J. Henderson ILB Vikings played for Tomlin
    Stephen Tulloch ILB Lions
    Curtis Lofton ILB Falcons
    Paul Soliai NT Dolphins played in Miami’s 3-4 at NT and is said to be one of the best.
    Tracy Porter CB New Orleans
    Michael Griffin FS Titans
    LaDarius Webb CB Ravens
    Cortland Finnegan CB Titans
    Brent Grimes CB Falcons—a solid cover corner
    Dan Connor ILB Panthers
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Some Unrestricted Free Agents Steelers may be interested

Most of those guys will be pretty expensive. Given our cap woes, I don't see up offering big bucks for a UFA.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Most of those guys will be pretty expensive. Given our cap woes, I don't see up offering big bucks for a UFA.
    Some one here said, "we have Omar Kahn, it can be done."

If you look at most lists (2012 unrestricted free agents), these guys I have listed (except for Nicks and Finnegan), arent in the top 15, so although they may not come cheap, they arent going to be the bank breakers.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Backup

User Info Menu

20 mill over the cap? Before a mike wallace contract? The only improvement we will have is through the draft. If anything our overall talent level on D is going to drop before it improves.

Legend

User Info Menu

i'd take a look at some of those ILBs before drafting another LB high, again (is this groundhog day)

i dont think they'll be getting a lot of money on their contracts either

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There's no way I want Cortland Finnegan. Isn't he the one who punched Andre Johnson last year during game? if he's the one I'm thinking of, he's a thug and dirty player. The refs already hate us, don't need another reason to throw flags when the D is on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

It'd be nice if about four of these players wanted to be Steelers so badly, they would sign for a bargain rate!

I know, that won't happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of that list, I'd probably rank the options Nicks, Soliai and Grimes, but I don't see any of those happening because of the money. The Steelers have some serious cap issues, and as always, I'd imagine that they'll begin by trying to retain their own.

Some names that I think could make sense include:

Jason Snelling - complement to Redman, being pushed aside for Rodgers as primary Turner backup
    Michael Bush - will likely be overpaid by somebody if not retained by Raiders

Mike McGlynn, OG or Jeffrey Zuttah, OG. McGlynn provides depth at OG and C and I remember the Steelers showing interest in Zuttah before the draft a few years ago. A mid-level veteran at OG is more likely than a premium guy like Nicks.

I don't know the depth types at DE, NT or ILB very well, but I could see the Steelers adding a young, inexpensive veteran for depth at any of these positions.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    D’Qwell Jackson ILB Browns
    Carl Nicks G Saints
    LaRon Landry FS Redskins—back to back injury years could mean a discount. When healthy he is elite.
    E.J. Henderson ILB Vikings played for Tomlin
    Stephen Tulloch ILB Lions
    Curtis Lofton ILB Falcons
    Paul Soliai NT Dolphins played in Miami’s 3-4 at NT and is said to be one of the best.
    Tracy Porter CB New Orleans
    Michael Griffin FS Titans
    LaDarius Webb CB Ravens
    Cortland Finnegan CB Titans
    Brent Grimes CB Falcons—a solid cover corner
    Dan Connor ILB Panthers

How does the saying go, "there are many ways to skin a cat." There may not be as many ways to win the superbowl but htere are more than one.

Carl Nicks with a great 1st round G/C type on the level of pouncey or even the kid coming out named Cory Glenn, would help to put us over the hump. We would go back to beating the ravens twice a year and securing the 1 or 2 seed and all the needed benefits that go with it. I really think that we have to repair this team around beating the ravens. The have quietly built a team the last 4-5 years with intention of beating us.

Nicks, pouncey, and glenn/maybe the center from wisconsin, would completely neutralize ngata and company. If we can run up the middle on them, even for 2-4 yards consistently, with very few no gainers or losses they can not beat us because of our QB and our recievers. Not to mention the pass protection boost. Our short yardage and red zone game would also be improved by nicks. An effective running game with Ben and we
    at least attend the attend the AFCCG as an annual event. We don't even need new CBs they just need a technique change that calls for them to simply turn around, locate the ball, and try to make a play. I undertand the life of a corner but if they used this technique and still got burned I would never complain. But look at the times when our collectives hearts have been broken and you will see our corners in good to excellent position but with their backs turned to the friggin ball. Change this an we have a new defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike McGlynn, OG or Jeffrey Zuttah, OG
    Perfect, Steeler-like pick-ups. They won't have much money to spend, but guys like these 2 upgrade the unit & allow the Steelers to not 'reach' to fill needs in the draft.

Remember, Steeler drafts of late have been about getting guys to sit & learn & take-over a role within 2-3 years, very rarely are they after immediate impact (Pouncey was supposed to learn behind Hartwig...but he outplayed him).

With this in mind, it is entirely possible that the Steelers feel Sylvester is the ILB of the future.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE