Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for the Steelers to rethink their approach?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Is it time for the Steelers to rethink their approach?

Phillyesq., can you help me sue Bouchette for plagiarizing from me? At least I had the decency to give Starlifter credit!

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    It's not even football, it's just common sense.

If you've allocated a huge amount of resources to acquire a strategic asset, the only reasonable secondary strategy is one that makes sure enough of your other resources are allocated in support of that asset, to allow it to succeed. Thus is achievement of the organization's goals most effectively realized.

Doing otherwise is foolish.

Organization: Steelers. Goal: Superbowl. Resources: $$. And, duh, strategic asset: Ben.

Ben is the man. The only right thing to do is put things in place to help him succeed. FIRST step, at a MINIMUM, we need to protect him in the pocket. Many of us PREDICTED that the SB run this year would end early because of O-line associated injury to Ben. Is it so crazy to say, OK, THAT didn't work out ... let's see what happens when our franchise QB has more than a 3rd string O-line? How many of our O-line players this year would even have PLAYED on one of the other playoff teams squads, much less STARTED?

And it needs to be quick ... what are the Vegas odds that Ben doesn't last next season due to injury? The season after that? I'm thinking doing this through the draft might not even be enough, in terms of Ben's shelf life. Can we go out and buy him an O-line? Not the Steeler way to develop a team with high $$ free agents? I'd propose it just might be. Where does it say the Steeler way HAS to be "controlling the game on the ground", or "suffocating defense", or any of the other things we've become so comfortable saying? The Steeler way, after all and bottom line, is only one thing - winning. Sometimes nostalgic attachment to specific strategies we've used to achieve that in the past can be counterproductive.

As Starlifter said (best post I've read in a while!) - forget throwing $$ at defense ... under Goodell's legal defense-oriented long term plan for rules changes, football scores will approach basketball's, and defenses will inevitably become laughably irrelevant. Heck, we don't even have to wait to see that happen - THIS year's 31st and 32nd ranked defenses in the NFL aren't doing too badly ...

Oh, and I agree with everything I say!

Signed,

SASF (Send Ariens to San Francisco)

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh, and to take the OPPOSITE viewpoint - sounds like it was a LeBeau-style defence that won the game for the Giants against the Packers yesterday - keeping everything in front of you, allowing nothing deep.

Rodgah's longest pass was 21 yards yesterday, and his rushing average was almost equal to his passing average (9.4 rushing average vs 10.2 ypa).

So what's the take home message? Defense is irrelevant?

Or LeBeau-style defenses wins championships*?

* (With the right personnel )

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh, and to take the OPPOSITE viewpoint - sounds like it was a LeBeau-style defence that won the game for the Giants against the Packers yesterday - keeping everything in front of you, allowing nothing deep.

Rodgah's longest pass was 21 yards yesterday, and his rushing average was almost equal to his passing average (9.4 rushing average vs 10.2 ypa).

Packer fumbles and dropped passes lost the game for them not the Giants keeping people in front of them. It was greatly aided by tremendous pressure on Rodgers by the Giants four man DL. They rushed a minimum of four every play and didn't have three DL trying to beat five OL like we did way too many times this season. Pass rush by guys dedicated to rush the passer is the key.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

[quote="drprwnap"]naah.... let's keep looking for the best ILB in the draft

Exactly! Don't even for a second think that Ed Bouchette even believes what he said.

Legend

User Info Menu

it would've helped if we weren't down to 3 DL's...

If we played our brand of D we would've had a shot against the Pats.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Packer fumbles and dropped passes lost the game for them not the Giants keeping people in front of them. It was greatly aided by tremendous pressure on Rodgers by the Giants four man DL. They rushed a minimum of four every play and didn't have three DL trying to beat five OL like we did way too many times this season. Pass rush by guys dedicated to rush the passer is the key.
    Packers were fumbling because of the Giants D....

Pack WR's dropped passes in the SB too... maybe Pack WR's aren't that hot in big games.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How funny. After the Giants win the Super Bowl everyone will be saying how defenses win championships.

Fans and the media are so fickle.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    How funny. After the Giants win the Super Bowl everyone will be saying how defenses win championships.

Fans and the media are so fickle.
    I am NOT fickle!!!

Well, maybe I am. A little bit.

No, wait - I am definitely NOT. Definitely!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    It's funny to me that three of the four teams left are a lot closer in style to the Steelers. In fact, of the teams left standing, only NE would be characterized as an offensive juggernaut. Should we be shocked that most of those high-powered offenses petered out in the playoffs?
    I thought this thread was going to be about a defensive philosophy change. Did you watch the Giants manhandle GB? They rushed using 4 DEs (and they had 3 sets of them) on nearly every play and put a ton of heat on Rodgers. Quarterbacks today do not like getting it, when they do, their game completely changes.
    For all the rule changes in favor of the offense (and even some pathetic calls against defenses) it just confirms the adage that a strong defense wins championships. This, despite Goodell's best effort.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    It's funny to me that three of the four teams left are a lot closer in style to the Steelers. In fact, of the teams left standing, only NE would be characterized as an offensive juggernaut. Should we be shocked that most of those high-powered offenses petered out in the playoffs?
    I thought this thread was going to be about a defensive philosophy change. Did you watch the Giants manhandle GB? They rushed using 4 DEs (and they had 3 sets of them) on nearly every play and put a ton of heat on Rodgers. Quarterbacks today do not like getting it, when they do, their game completely changes.
    For all the rule changes in favor of the offense (and even some pathetic calls against defenses) it just confirms the adage that a strong defense wins championships. This, despite Goodell's best effort.

...or confirms that a 4-3 defense is more effective against these types of high powered offense
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"