Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we handle it?

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we handle it?

Change is coming boys and girls! Since we are significantly over the salary cap, there are some very difficult decision that have to be made in the off season and as I have mentioned before we will see a "Generational Change" take place. The core player that took us to three Supper Bowls while winning two are going to have to be phased out: Aaron Smith=Gone, James farrior=Gone, Casey Hampton=Gone, Hines Ward=Gone, Foote=Gone, Bmac=Gone, etc.

This is likely to change the balance of power in the AFC North in the short term and the key question is: Do we bite the bullet and make a big change in one year or to we hang on to players with diminishing skills? Do we hope we get a little more out of them or do we cut them all and start fresh potentially taking one step back with the hope we can take two steps forward.

IMO I think we need to just accept it and make the big cuts and get right salary cap wise and thrust some of these young players into the line up to see what we have. The Ravens sort of did that last year and got into the AFC Championship game. maybe it is a case of the old adage: "Bad news doesn't get better with age."

Your thoughts: Radical surgery or minor pin pricks? Which gets us back on top soonest?

Just as importnat as to whether the organization can manage this transition, will the fans be able to handle it if we struggle???????
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Re: Can we handle it?

Why would the Steelers struggle?

Most of the players you listed were only marginal contributors on the field by the end of the year...

The Steelers biggest loss would be in the intangibles (ie. veteran leadership), but I'm sure someone else will step up to fill that void...

The Steelers will make the necessary cuts to get under the cap, but they won't blow up a 12-4 team...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick

Most of the players you listed were only marginal contributors on the field by the end of the year...

The Steelers biggest loss would be in the intangibles (ie. veteran leadership), but I'm sure someone else will step up to fill that void...

The Steelers will make the necessary cuts to get under the cap, but they won't blow up a 12-4 team...

our unit's improved when the old heads went down IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Which units are you referring to? Just curious.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

Which units are you referring to? Just curious.
    DL(Smith, Hoke, etc) I think the DL was solid in the playoff game given the lack of depth

WR (Hines being replaced)

DB's(McFadden) whether people want to admit it or not Gay is an improvement over McFadden and Keenan Lewis filled in nicely too.

ST's.. OUr kick coverage, punt coverage and kick return all improved IMO.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    IMO I think we need to just accept it and make the big cuts and get right salary cap wise and thrust some of these young players into the line up to see what we have. The Ravens sort of did that last year and got into the AFC Championship game. maybe it is a case of the old adage: "Bad news doesn't get better with age."

Your thoughts: Radical surgery or minor pin pricks? Which gets us back on top soonest?

Just as importnat as to whether the organization can manage this transition, will the fans be able to handle it if we struggle???????
    I think you did a good job of pointing out a major decision for the Steelers - do they drop all of the veterans this year, or split the process over a few years?

I think the Steelers should reload rather than completely retool. In other words, although I acknowledge that the Steelers are going to make a lot of changes, I think they should retain at least some of the veterans.

At a business function, I had dinner with a former offensive tackle the other night. I'm not going to identify the players or the teams, but he spent a good chunk of time in the NFL and played with some HOFers. He told a story of how his team brought in a veteran QB from another team. At the first meeting discussing the new offense, the first play put in was a simple run that could go either left or right, one that the QB had executed hundres of times in games. The new QB listened attentively and took many pages of notes, which shocked the OT and the rest of the lockerroom. The level of preparation and dedication shown by the QB had an impact on the entire team.

Why do I share this story? I think that much of the Steelers success derives from the fact that they have maintained continuity and a core of veteran leaders over the years. Change is coming, and it is inevitable, but there is also a benefit to the team to having guys who know how to prepare to win a championship.

We'd all like to see a young ILB. Wouldn't it be nice if that player had a year of learning with Farrior and Foote? If a new safety had a year or two of learning with Clark? On offense, I think a veteran in the WR room with the young guys would be great.

There will certainly be changes. For the first time in over a decade, Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke will almost certainly not be at camp. Hampton is a question mark. Cutting some guys (McFadden, Allen, probably Battle) is almost a foregone conclusion.

I'd like to see the Steelers keep a few of the veterans around. If he comes at a reduced price, I'd like Hampton back. Same with Ward and one of Farrior or Foote, again at a reduced price.

Change needs to come, and I'm going to miss a lot of guys who were integral to a few championships. But I think a few veteran leaders, especially veterans making one last push for a ring, could be a huge asset to the team, even if they shift from a starting role to a reserve or time share role.

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem though is just about every year we can make a push for another ring and that tends to keep vets around who can't get it done.

We have a few guys who are finished... and by that I mean if we don't keep them there is a 99% chance they retire.

Look at Baltimore last year... we said they were finished when they got rid of some key vets and they improved.

As long as we keep the staff in place and the FO in place we will be fine. We can't live in fear of losing leadership from guys who can't get it done on the field.

That being said I think Hampton returns at a reduced rate and Hines may stick around but I wouldn't count on it.

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem though is just about every year we can make a push for another ring and that tends to keep vets around who can't get it done.

We have a few guys who are finished... and by that I mean if we don't keep them there is a 99% chance they retire.

Look at Baltimore last year... we said they were finished when they got rid of some key vets and they improved.

As long as we keep the staff in place and the FO in place we will be fine. We can't live in fear of losing leadership from guys who can't get it done on the field.

That being said I think Hampton returns at a reduced rate and Hines may stick around but I wouldn't count on it.
    I wasn't suggeting that the Steelers should keep the whole group. I suggested Hampton, one of Foote/Farrior and Ward, all at reduced rates. Foote and Farrior can still be effective -- I'd like to see a young hitter worked in with them, and like I said, I'd like to see the vets I suggested transititioned to a Bettis role.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I wasn't suggeting that the Steelers should keep the whole group. I suggested Hampton, one of Foote/Farrior and Ward, all at reduced rates. Foote and Farrior can still be effective -- I'd like to see a young hitter worked in with them, and like I said, I'd like to see the vets I suggested transititioned to a Bettis role.
    I think Hines does have value because the WRs are so young they essentially need "adult supervision" especially with Mike Wallace dealing with a pending contract for the first time in his career. Hines could keep his head on straight and maybe deflate Antonio Brown's if he comes back with a big ego.

Hampton I think they can let go. He is essentially a two down player anyway. I thin if we draft a young NT early and with McLendon we can hold down the middle.

Farrior and Foote I think need to go too. IMO both have lost enough that they are liabilities in a league where our opponents are passing more and more.

I understand the leadership argument, but young leaders aren't going to step up as long as these veterans are there. Time to see if the puppies can hunt too!!!!!!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Rooney: Steelers don’t want to “tear things apart”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 17, 2012

Steelers club president Art Rooney recognizes this will be a challenging offseason.

The team has salary cap issues and a number of veterans that cost more than they are worth. Their aging defense needs to be re-tooled.

Rooney told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette the Steelers will not “tear things apart” and start over from scratch.

“Obviously, we have some decisions to make with certain players and their contracts,” Rooney said.

Let’s run through a few of them.

Hines Ward: Rooney has already spoken with Ward about his future. Ward will likely have to take a pay cut just for a chance to stay.

Chris Hoke and Aaron Smith, defensive linemen: Local reports indicate Hoke will retire. Smith also seems likely to retire if the Steelers don’t bring him back. Both players are free agents. Smith has meant so much to the team, the Steelers could offer him a low-cost one-year deal to see how he looks in camp.

Casey Hampton, nose tackle: He’s due almost $5 million and is coming off an ACL injury at age 35. Hampton is a candidate to get released if he won’t take a pay cut.

Ryan Clark, safety: The 32-year-old is still playing at a high level and relatively affordable at $3 million. We’d expect him to be back.

James Farrior, linebacker: Farrior is due a reasonable sum of $2.825 million. Still, Farrior is 37 years old. If the Steelers want to get younger and faster, moving on from Farrior wouldn’t be a surprise.

Larry Foote, linebacker: He’s due $3 million, which may be too much for the role he plays on the team. Perhaps the Steelers could keep Farrior and dump Foote.

Brett Keisel, defensive end: He played far too well in 2011 to consider cutting him at a salary under $3 million, even if he’s coming off a serious groin injury. His beard also provides far-reaching intangible benefits.

Chris Kemoeatu and Johnathan Scott, offensive line: Here are some relatively easy cuts. We’d be shocked if the Steelers kept Kemoeatu at $2.4 million or Scott at $2.2 million.

Bryant McFadden, cornerback: He’s no longer a starter, so he’s probably no longer worth keeping at $2.5 million.

We don’t think the Steelers will consider cutting a bigger name like James Harrison. The rest of their salary numbers are manageable.

Pittsburgh needs to trim the fat, though, so they can start to re-sign players like Mike Wallace. Rooney called Wallace’s next contract a priority.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/rooney-steelers-dont-want-to-tear-things-apart/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ngs-apart/[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha