Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The fix is in.. Here is your SB participants.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: The fix is in.. Here is your SB participants.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

I'm still scratching my head over the Sand Diego TD that Troy had wiped off on the last play in that 11-10 game in 2008.
    To my previous point the spread was Steelers -5, I believe. Steelers cover if the TD stands, check the money.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Most fans still think O'Donnell was paid off...
    Count me among the haters!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by _SteeL_CurtaiN_
    feltdizz wrote:
    I'm still scratching my head over the Sand Diego TD that Troy had wiped off on the last play in that 11-10 game in 2008.

To my previous point the spread was Steelers -5, I believe. Steelers cover if the TD stands, check the money.
    I was at that game in 2008, and there is absolutely no question that it was fixed by the Refs. First let me say that I did not have any noney on the game, so my opinion is not tainted by that kind of self-interest. I believe the Steelers were 4 to 4 1/2 point favorites, not 5 points. 13 penalties were called against the Steelers and only 1 was called against the Chargers (a second totally bogus penalty was called on the Polamalu TD return). The Chargers only TD was set up by a phantom pass interference call, and every time the Steelers got any kind of drive going on offense they had a holding call against them. Finally, with the score 10-8 in favor of the Chargers and less than 30 seconds remaining in the game, the Steelers drove down to the Chargers 10 yard line. It looked like the Steelers were just going to settle for the game winning FG (which would not have sufficed to cover the spread), but then Willie Parker took a pitchout around the left end in for a TD (which would have covered the spread with the extra point). The official on the far side all of a sudden started running like crazy and heaved a flag -- Another holding call! Seriously, the ref that made that call was the entire width of the field away from the play. So the Steelers kicked the FG and took an 11-10 lead.

At that point the refs had to be quite content with themselves. The better team that day would win the game but would fail to cover the spread. Then the Chargers tried the whole lateral thing on the last play of the game, Troy blew it up grabbed the ball and took it into the end zone for a TD. I have been watching NFL football for more than 40 years, and that was absolutely, completely, unequivocally a Touchdown. And the Steelers had covered the spread. But wait, the Refs decide to review the play. After telling the world that the play was upheld after review, the Refs then huddled again. Finally, almost 10 miinutes after the play ended they announced that there had been an illegal forward pass, by rule the ball was dead, so the TD didn't count. As soon as I heard them say that I knew they were wromg. They did too. But they were not leaving that field until the TD was taken off the board.

Turns out that it was estimated that it would have cost the legal books nearly $50 million if the Steelers had covered that spread. Never mind how much it would have cost the illegal books. Anyone who thinks that NFL games cannot be fixed when there is that much money at stake is foolish.

Backup

User Info Menu

[quote=ter1230_4]
    Quote Originally Posted by "_SteeL_CurtaiN_":39ceiu1p
    feltdizz wrote:

I was at that game in 2008, and there is absolutely no question that it was fixed by the Refs. First let me say that I did not have any noney on the game, so my opinion is not tainted by that kind of self-interest. I believe the Steelers were 4 to 4 1/2 point favorites, not 5 points. 13 penalties were called against the Steelers and only 1 was called against the Chargers (a second totally bogus penalty was called on the Polamalu TD return). The Chargers only TD was set up by a phantom pass interference call, and every time the Steelers got any kind of drive going on offense they had a holding call against them. Finally, with the score 10-8 in favor of the Chargers and less than 30 seconds remaining in the game, the Steelers drove down to the Chargers 10 yard line. It looked like the Steelers were just going to settle for the game winning FG (which would not have sufficed to cover the spread), but then Willie Parker took a pitchout around the left end in for a TD (which would have covered the spread with the extra point). The official on the far side all of a sudden started running like crazy and heaved a flag -- Another holding call! Seriously, the ref that made that call was the entire width of the field away from the play. So the Steelers kicked the FG and took an 11-10 lead.

At that point the refs had to be quite content with themselves. The better team that day would win the game but would fail to cover the spread. Then the Chargers tried the whole lateral thing on the last play of the game, Troy blew it up grabbed the ball and took it into the end zone for a TD. I have been watching NFL football for more than 40 years, and that was absolutely, completely, unequivocally a Touchdown. And the Steelers had covered the spread. But wait, the Refs decide to review the play. After telling the world that the play was upheld after review, the Refs then huddled again. Finally, almost 10 miinutes after the play ended they announced that there had been an illegal forward pass, by rule the ball was dead, so the TD didn't count. As soon as I heard them say that I knew they were wromg. They did too. But they were not leaving that field until the TD was taken off the board.

Turns out that it was estimated that it would have cost the legal books nearly $50 million if the Steelers had covered that spread. Never mind how much it would have cost the illegal books. Anyone who thinks that NFL games cannot be fixed when there is that much money at stake is foolish.[/quote:39ceiu1p]

Exactley what I was saying above, believe it folks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=ter1230_4]
    Quote Originally Posted by "_SteeL_CurtaiN_":1d0z2983
    feltdizz wrote:

Turns out that it was estimated that it would have cost the legal books nearly $50 million if the Steelers had covered that spread. Never mind how much it would have cost the illegal books. Anyone who thinks that NFL games cannot be fixed when there is that much money at stake is foolish.[/quote:1d0z2983]

I was in Vegas watching that game at the Venetian. I thought there was going to be a riot in the sports betting room when they took that TD off the board. Luckily I don't bet on Steeler games ... well, not serious money anyway.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I too was wondering about the points taking off the board with Troy.

Can someone refresh my memory with the Steelers and Cowboys last Super Bowl ?
    What was the final score and what was the point spread ?

I'm a bit foggy about it all but, this is what I remember. The Cowboys were favored by 12 to win that game.

I remember my brother saying, he picked this or that because, no way the Cowboys will put up that many points on our Steelers defense but if I recall, the Cowboys ended up doing what, was good for the spread. It's been a long time and we were all heavily drinking at the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

The San Diego game in 2008 was classic point shaving by the refs.

I don't remember all the penalties but I do remember the phantom holding call on the Parker TD.

When Troy scooped up the fubmle and scored I told my wife they would wipe it off because it was obvious the fix was in. I don't care who you are or what you believe. There is no explanation for that call.

Looking at the fumble in the GB game I can't buy the ref making a mistake or being off his game. There is no way a professional in the NFL misses a call like that after looking at replay.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"