Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben vs Brady: Tempo of the game.

Legend

Ben vs Brady: Tempo of the game.

I'm watching Brady carve up this Denver D with ease and the lack of pressure is amazing. Now most people would say it's because the OL is so good but I don't think that's the case. The tempo by Brady is so fast these guys are gassed... He isn't waiting until he clock hits 0.

Brady in the 2 minute drill got off a good 5 plays in the same time it takes us to run 2 plays.

Hall of Famer

Re: Ben vs Brady: Tempo of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I'm watching Brady carve up this Denver D with ease and the lack of pressure is amazing. Now most people would say it's because the OL is so good but I don't think that's the case. The tempo by Brady is so fast these guys are gassed... He isn't waiting until he clock hits 0.

Brady in the 2 minute drill got off a good 5 plays in the same time it takes us to run 2 plays.

I do believe it is O-line and if Ben went with that tempo i don't know if opponents D will be gassed out but Steelers O-line definitely will be. Also it seems quite few players on the Offense don't know the play calls or where to line up.

Also Steelers Offense mentality is to milk the clock and help the Steelers defense unlike Patriots. Two different teams with different mentality.

Ben loves hurry up/no huddle and spread offense.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel

I do believe it is O-line and if Ben went with that tempo i don't know if opponents D will be gassed out but Steelers O-line definitely will be. Also it seems quite few players on the Offense don't know the play calls or where to line up.

Also Steelers Offense mentality is to milk the clock and help the Steelers defense unlike Patriots. Two different teams with different mentality.

The subject was the two minute offense, not long term game mentality. A two minute drill is just that, you speed things up to get more plays in a certain amount of time. He is spot on. The Steelers two minute looks like a bunch of kids playing pickup football on the street. Absolutely no discipline, coordination or urgency, not to mention stupid play calling that costs the team several chances at field goals EVERY year as Ben gets sacked on the last play and the clock runs out...

If you watched WVU in the Orange Bowl, you would see what one of the best offensive minded coaches did for his team in his FIRST SEASON. The announcers could not believe how crisp and disciplined the offense was. At one point, they were timing in between plays during a two minute drill and it was taking less than 8 seconds to get the next play off. That comes from good coaching, good preparation, and good discipline.

Legend

The thing Brady and the NE offense does is mess with the tempo of the game. Sometimes they'll take the clock down to 0 and other times he'll snap the ball with 20-30 seconds on the play clock to catch the defense off guard.

I noticed when he snaps it earlier than the defense is expecting, it makes it easier for WRs/TEs to slip open quickly.

All 4 QBs I watched yesterday, none of the QBs hold the ball very long on most plays. There were a lot of 3 step drops. Passes under 5-10 yards. None of the Olines were asked to block as long as our line is asked to block.

Our tempo and play calling hurt our line. Our guys up front would do better in any of these offenses than they do in ours.

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel

The subject was the two minute offense, not long term game mentality. A two minute drill is just that, you speed things up to get more plays in a certain amount of time. He is spot on. The Steelers two minute looks like a bunch of kids playing pickup football on the street. Absolutely no discipline, coordination or urgency, not to mention stupid play calling that costs the team several chances at field goals EVERY year as Ben gets sacked on the last play and the clock runs out...

If you watched WVU in the Orange Bowl, you would see what one of the best offensive minded coaches did for his team in his FIRST SEASON. The announcers could not believe how crisp and disciplined the offense was. At one point, they were timing in between plays during a two minute drill and it was taking less than 8 seconds to get the next play off. That comes from good coaching, good preparation, and good discipline.
    Tomlin could get his head out of Arians Valley and see the bigger picture of what a good OC can do, quit placating Ben. This team is capable of producing much better on offense than it did this year.

Legend

Flippy is spot on. Look how great our OL was vs the Pats. Dink and dunk makes an OL look awesome.

Flippy is spot on. Look how great our OL was vs the Pats. Dink and dunk makes an OL look awesome.
    And who's fault is it that we don't run that type of offense even when it obviouly works?

Legend

It's both Ben and BA's fault...

Really though it's mostly Ben's fault because he refuses to take what's there... it's his body taking the punishment and it's pretty much his decision to stick with BA and he's been talking about the offense being a week away from exploding for 5 years now.

Not sure how a QB can stay clean, throw for 300 yards with 3 TD's and pretty much dominate a team and abandon it the next week. We are talking about a $100 million dollar "franchise QB"

The guys are open underneath... the RB is open a ton... we scream "throw the ball" half the game yet blame the OC when Ben decides to deliver the ball on 3rd and 4 25 yards down field while AB and Miller are wide open underneath.

Pro Bowler

Brady pretty much mastered the QB position. After 8 years, Ben is still a work in progress. It appears that Ben's stubbornness won't allow him to change the way he plays. We can only hope that Ben becomes a wiser QB as he ages. Living to play another play and remaining healthy for the teams isn't a bad idea.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    The thing Brady and the NE offense does is mess with the tempo of the game. Sometimes they'll take the clock down to 0 and other times he'll snap the ball with 20-30 seconds on the play clock to catch the defense off guard.

I noticed when he snaps it earlier than the defense is expecting, it makes it easier for WRs/TEs to slip open quickly.

All 4 QBs I watched yesterday, none of the QBs hold the ball very long on most plays. There were a lot of 3 step drops. Passes under 5-10 yards. None of the Olines were asked to block as long as our line is asked to block.

Our tempo and play calling hurt our line. Our guys up front would do better in any of these offenses than they do in ours.
    brees held on to the ball more then a few times yesterday. mostly when SF rushed 4 and dropped 7 in coverage.

of course, his OL still keeps the pressure of him fpor that long, not like the 3 man rush denver sent last week and still got to ben