Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Need a Dynamic TE

Legend

We Need a Dynamic TE

Vernon Davis is a beast. Jimmy Graham is a beast. Rob Gronkowski is a beast.

Where's Ben's beast in the receiving game?

Re: We Need a Dynamic TE

Wouldn't matter. The TE is our offense is used more for blocking than catching. Heath, if in another system, could be much better than he is. Add to that, that Ben would rather go for the long ball, than dump it to his checkdowns. Our current system under Arians/Ben isn't condusive to a great TE.

Legend

If Heath could get up field like these other TE's Ben would target him more often. Heath is pretty slow.

Pats* just lined up a TE at RB.

Oh, I totally disagree with that. BA's offense is based off of the 2 TE set. He likes those hybrid TE's as he puts them in the backfield as a blocking FB, etc. I've been saying for years that since this is the case, we need to draft another top tiered TE to compliment Miller. Miller is actually a better pass catcher than a blocker- IMO. But yea, he isn't the fastest TE.

In some really early mocl draft in 2011, I actually picked a TE in the 1st round for us- considering we lost Spaeth- who actually was just mediocre anyway. With BA as the OC, on draft day you can be sure that he is lobbying for TE's...It really would be another weapon for Ben....

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

i want to see wes saunders more. wasnt he supposed to be a fairly high draft pick before his issues?

I will be interesting to see how many teams draft TEs early this year.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Pats* just lined up a TE at RB.
    Hernandez is kind of a freak - Pats line him up in lots of different positions.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

Hall of Famer

for all those that loved giving holmes away

manny (cant stay on the field) sanders was drafted a few picks before him.
    if we keep holmes, do we really need to take a WR there or could we have looked at graham.

of course, thats assuming we would even look at him because he wasnt really a good blcoker in college. something every position on the offense must know how to do (except for the OL, I guess)

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    of course, thats assuming we would even look at him because he wasnt really a good blcoker in college. something every position on the offense must know how to do (except for the OL, I guess)

So true.

Dynamic TE to look for is Dwayne Allen from Clemson in Rd 1. But even if Steelers draft him Allen will be on LoS blocking on pass plays.

When your O-line can't block 3 man rush you know where the problem is.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Our offense revolves around the original play breaking down, and Ben making a play. When you have an offense that revolves around broken plays, its going to be hard to get the ball consistently to your playmakers. Miller is fine, what we need is a new offense.