Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of OL going into 2012

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

State of OL going into 2012

Once again the biggest weakness resurfaced.

Got 3 postions locked the next 2?

Lt-?
    LG?
    C-Pouncey
    RG-Foster/LEG
    RT-Gilbert

2 players that should come back and contribute
    Colon- back to RT and Gilbert to LT? or he going to RG
    Carter- Last preseason he started the preseason but maybe was too naive yet to actually play the game. Maybe he makes leaps this year and gets the nod and succeeds.

Players that might be back
    Starks- even though injured steelers might sign him out of respect for salvageing their season, and being a true steeler, returning with lower pay and without the hate.
    Kemo- re-fix contract or cut, good back up capable of being solid when he plays.

but that leaves us need of starters and back ups....bring on FA and the draft.

Bigger need? OT or OG?

Starter

User Info Menu

Re: State of OL going into 2012

i think it should be

Gilbert-Rookie-Pouncey-Rookie-Colon

biggest need?? Guardx2
    maybe a late round tackle too, but not one of the big, slow guys we normally draft.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george
    Carter- Last preseason he started the preseason but maybe was too naive yet to actually play the game. Maybe he makes leaps this year and gets the nod and succeeds.
    Who is Carter? The only Carters we've had on our roster (that I can think of) in the last few seasons are rookie 5th round pick OLB Chris Carter (who ended the season on I.R.) and former safety Tyrone Carter (whose last season in the Black and Gold was in 2009). I don't recall any offensive lineman named Carter at all.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Who is Carter? The only Carters we've had on our roster (that I can think of) in the last few seasons are rookie 5th round pick OLB Chris Carter (who ended the season on I.R.) and former safety Tyrone Carter (whose last season in the Black and Gold was in 2009). I don't recall any offensive lineman named Carter at all.
    perhaps he means chris scott??
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Gilbert becomes the LT. I see them giving Colon one more chance, but they will try to make sure to have plan in place in case he gets hurt again.

I am intrigued to see if Trevis Turner develops this off season. I know they were pretty high on him in training camp.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the FO would like for Gilbert to move to LT. That's why they drafted him. Legs would be the LG, Pouncey C, Foster RG and Colon RT.

I'd like to see them address this area in FA, by picking up a G and a T. I'd like to see some competition at RG and you never know what Colon will do...pull his jock strap, etc.... IMO- someone like a Ben Grubbs would be a good addition...

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    perhaps he means chris scott??
    Yes, that is who I was referring to!

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    I think the FO would like for Gilbert to move to LT. That's why they drafted him. Legs would be the LG, Pouncey C, Foster RG and Colon RT.

I'd like to see them address this area in FA, by picking up a G and a T. I'd like to see some competition at RG and you never know what Colon will do...pull his jock strap, etc.... IMO- someone like a Ben Grubbs would be a good addition...

They will find some FA OL for sure, we have no depth...j.scott tenure is over, almost same could be said with essex, so they need to find bodies, hopefully they are not nobodies.

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably would look like this at the moment-

LT- Gilbert
    LG- ?
    C- Pouncey
    RG- Foster
    RT- Colon

Back-ups Legursky, Chris Scott, Jon Scott.

Chadman would think an OG & an OT would be on the agenda. If the OT is the 'better' pick, perhaps Colon moves inside? Or a rookie OG might get the nod to start. Might be interesting to see if Ramon Foster moves over to LG. Foster was an LT at college & has some decent feet for a man of his size.

The frustrating thing is- this line has the potential to be decent, if that LG spot is a solid to good player. But if the player is merely average, the OL could be in a world of trouble once more.

Colon does 1 thing- upgrades the running game. For all his faults, he's very strong at the point of attack.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The more I think about it, we are in trouble going into 2012.

We definitely need to find a tackle somewhere, either FA or Draft. We have no depth there, and there are a lot of question marks regarding Colon's durability.

J. Scot as we seen this year is not worth his money, unlike 2010 where he was.
    Starks is a FA and tore his ACL, not looking good for him to return.

That leaves us with just Gilbert.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would like to see the Steelers address offensive guard...

If Colon can't hold up (and I think it is just a terrible coincidence that went down two years in a row to two entirely different, freak injuries) the Steelers could give Foster a try at RT. He played the position in a substitute role as a rookie and at 6' 5" and 330 lbs., he has decent size for it...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.