View Poll Results: What is our biggest issue on offense?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • O line - can't run block, can't pass block

7 33.33%
  • Injuries - too many to overcome this year

0 0%
  • Execution - just catch the d@mn ball!

0 0%
  • Just another year together - we're almost there

0 0%
  • Personnel - we should have had Redman starting the entire season

0 0%
  • Ben is too much of a gunslinger - he needs to take what is given to him sometimes

1 4.76%
  • Arians - I've already told he...he just sucks!

6 28.57%
  • All of the above

7 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with the offense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Problem with the offense

I went with all of the above.

It wasn't all of the above all of the time... but each of those DID contribute to our woes at different times. They were all problems.

And the checkdown thing.

And I agree with slapstick.. don't hold your breath on Max and Snack.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Arians will never be mistaken for Bill Walsh but put an offensive line on the field that can consistently execute and our offense will be much better with Arians.

I think Arians has taken this offense as far as he is capable but I will give him his due for implementing an offense that is relevant in today's NFL.

Don't underestimate the challenge that Ben is for Arians or ould be for any other OC. Ben loves to push the ball down the field and in that regard he is his own worst enemy. If he would ever buy in to a quick timing, short passing game our offense would be unstoppable with the talent we have.
    That is kind of my point exactly. The love fest between Ben and Arians is overboard. Ben is his worst enemy a lot but it's the coaches responbility to change certain things. The owners own, coaches coach and players play. It's one thing to be friends with your boss but the line in responsibilities still need to be there. I don't think it is between Arians and Ben.

I know Ben has a mancrush for Arians but the bottom line is that he would be healthier and more succesfful with a offensive coordinator that doesn't allow him to do whatever the hell he wants.
    That isn't happening in today's NFL. We can talk all we want about bringing in an OC who will change Ben but the last guy to challenge him is in AZ and the other one retired.

Look at Aaron Rodgers was on the sideline calling plays for Matt Flynn... you can't expect coaches who make less then the players to have control over these guys. It's up to Ben to submit to the OC and the game plan and I don't think he is willing to do that because he has been successful doing it his way.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Arians will never be mistaken for Bill Walsh but put an offensive line on the field that can consistently execute and our offense will be much better with Arians.

I think Arians has taken this offense as far as he is capable but I will give him his due for implementing an offense that is relevant in today's NFL.

Don't underestimate the challenge that Ben is for Arians or ould be for any other OC. Ben loves to push the ball down the field and in that regard he is his own worst enemy. If he would ever buy in to a quick timing, short passing game our offense would be unstoppable with the talent we have.
    That is kind of my point exactly. The love fest between Ben and Arians is overboard. Ben is his worst enemy a lot but it's the coaches responbility to change certain things. The owners own, coaches coach and players play. It's one thing to be friends with your boss but the line in responsibilities still need to be there. I don't think it is between Arians and Ben.

I know Ben has a mancrush for Arians but the bottom line is that he would be healthier and more succesfful with a offensive coordinator that doesn't allow him to do whatever the hell he wants.
    That isn't happening in today's NFL. We can talk all we want about bringing in an OC who will change Ben but the last guy to challenge him is in AZ and the other one retired.

Look at Aaron Rodgers was on the sideline calling plays for Matt Flynn... you can't expect coaches who make less then the players to have control over these guys. It's up to Ben to submit to the OC and the game plan and I don't think he is willing to do that because he has been successful doing it his way.

Aaron Rodgers used to have the same problem as Ben. Holding the ball too long and taking unnecessary punishment from self-inflicted sacks. Mike McCarthy tweaked the system and shortened Rodgers drops and read times, but left his alone ability to extend plays alone. Now, he's an absolute beast. Ben needs somebody willing to challenge his bone-headed-ness, and do the same thing GB did with Rodgers. Bruce ain't got the cajones to do that. Ben and Bruce are both accomplices in the unsolved case of "The Mysterious Underachieving Offense".

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rockonsteel

Aaron Rodgers used to have the same problem as Ben. Holding the ball too long and taking unnecessary punishment from self-inflicted sacks. Mike McCarthy tweaked the system and shortened Rodgers drops and read times, but left his alone ability to extend plays alone. Now, he's an absolute beast. Ben needs somebody willing to challenge his bone-headed-ness, and do the same thing GB did with Rodgers. Bruce ain't got the cajones to do that. Ben and Bruce are both accomplices in the unsolved case of "The Mysterious Underachieving Offense".

Rockon
    McCarthy may have tweaked the system but Rodgers bought into it 100%. Can we say the same about Ben? Do you honestly think Ben would buy into it?

"I only know one way to play coach"

Ben wouldn't even run the plays correctly in practice when Whiz was the OC. I remember Ben saying he would go sandlot in practice to get WR's used to his style of play.

Rodgers is also concussion prone and a lot smaller then Ben.... if Ben see's a blitzing LB he tends to absorb the hit and then throw while every other productive QB would throw it away or dump it underneath.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When your O-line can't block 3 D-Linemen for 5 sec you know where the problem is.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Reality. Do you think Dtrew Brees, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning don't get what they want with their offenses. It is the nature of having a franchise QB.

This is not Pee Wee where the players are intimidated by their coaches.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Rockon
    McCarthy may have tweaked the system but Rodgers bought into it 100%. Can we say the same about Ben? Do you honestly think Ben would buy into it?

Ben wouldn't even run the plays correctly in practice when Whiz was the OC. I remember Ben saying he would go sandlot in practice to get WR's used to his style of play.

Rodgers is also concussion prone and a lot smaller then Ben.... if Ben see's a blitzing LB he tends to absorb the hit and then throw while every other productive QB would throw it away or dump it underneath.
    Then maybe Arians is not doing a good enough job selling it to him then. Maybe they need to let another salesman give it a shot. Look, I don't mean to sound like I'm blaming everything that ails this team on Arians, but dammit he needs to be held to the fire for his part, which is my opinion is very major, and I want my pound of flesh! He needs to go.

Seriously, though, how much responsibility does BA bear for the Steelers offensive woes, and when does he get held accountable?

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    I think the O-line is the problem. If they could dominate the line of scrimmage I think our O would be amazing. Imagine if we could run the ball for 200 ypg, if 2nd/3rd and short was automatic...add Ben and our recievers into that and we would be unstoppable.

I picked our OL as the main problem, we need an upgrade at OG badly.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Rockon

Then maybe Arians is not doing a good enough job selling it to him then. Maybe they need to let another salesman give it a shot. Look, I don't mean to sound like I'm blaming everything that ails this team on Arians, but dammit he needs to be held to the fire for his part, which is my opinion is very major, and I want my pound of flesh! He needs to go.

Seriously, though, how much responsibility does BA bear for the Steelers offensive woes, and when does he get held accountable?

Rockon
    The bubble screens, lack of Redman behind this OL and the fade routes inside the 5...

I say about 25% of the blame is on Arians...

I can't blame him for Moore, Hines, Ben and Miller fumbling at critical times...
    I can't blame him for Ben deciding to throw to triple covered Wallace when Miller is wide open underneath on 3rd and 4.

I can't blame him for the horrible OL and I can't blame him for the injuries...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    I think the O-line is the problem. If they could dominate the line of scrimmage I think our O would be amazing. Imagine if we could run the ball for 200 ypg, if 2nd/3rd and short was automatic...add Ben and our recievers into that and we would be unstoppable.

I picked our OL as the main problem, we need an upgrade at OG badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    When your O-line can't block 3 D-Linemen for 5 sec you know where the problem is.
    I honestly believe, if Ben didn't get stripped sacked on final drive against Denver, we would of won in regulation.

Like how ever says it starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Just imagine Mendy and Redman getting to the line of scrimmage without having to avoid a defender ever time. They would be get good runs for sure, able to set up the play action and deep outs.

Now would the defense dare put 9 in the box or play cover 2 to avoid our fast deep threats in Wallace, Brown, Sanders?