View Poll Results: What is our biggest issue on offense?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • O line - can't run block, can't pass block

7 33.33%
  • Injuries - too many to overcome this year

0 0%
  • Execution - just catch the d@mn ball!

0 0%
  • Just another year together - we're almost there

0 0%
  • Personnel - we should have had Redman starting the entire season

0 0%
  • Ben is too much of a gunslinger - he needs to take what is given to him sometimes

1 4.76%
  • Arians - I've already told he...he just sucks!

6 28.57%
  • All of the above

7 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with the offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Problem with the offense

I know that Arians is the usual whipping buy when it comes to the woes of the offense. There are, however, many issues - including Arians - that the O suffered from this past season. My question is this: Fixing which of these problems would give the offense its greatest chance to improve next year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Problem with the offense

I think you might want to add an option about Ben not taking the check down and always going for the big play.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I think you might want to add an option about Ben not taking the check down and always going for the big play.
    You know, when I originally thought about this I did have that in my mind as an option.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I could do one thing, I'd add talent to the offensive line. Kugler is a good coach imho. He has coached up our talent for the most part. Further, in the playoffs the last two years, we have run the ball well (when the running is usually quite difficult). Give him another high draft pick or two and allow him to help develop better running plays for the playbook.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Arians will never be mistaken for Bill Walsh but put an offensive line on the field that can consistently execute and our offense will be much better with Arians.

I think Arians has taken this offense as far as he is capable but I will give him his due for implementing an offense that is relevant in today's NFL.

Don't underestimate the challenge that Ben is for Arians or ould be for any other OC. Ben loves to push the ball down the field and in that regard he is his own worst enemy. If he would ever buy in to a quick timing, short passing game our offense would be unstoppable with the talent we have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ben is the MVP of the team and likewise the offense. I know Brown won that award and he had an awesome year (major props to him) but lets be honest, without Ben, we are a .500 team and not a playoff contender.

Arians is just flat-out hard headed. He's had his moments but overall, he is not very good. Poor in game adjustments, not taking what the defense gives him, and not playing to your personnel is his biggest faults.

With that being said, Ben and Arians are the problem. To further clarify, Ben IN COMBINATION with Arians is the problem. The simple solution is remove Arians and keep Ben.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Arians will never be mistaken for Bill Walsh but put an offensive line on the field that can consistently execute and our offense will be much better with Arians.

I think Arians has taken this offense as far as he is capable but I will give him his due for implementing an offense that is relevant in today's NFL.

Don't underestimate the challenge that Ben is for Arians or ould be for any other OC. Ben loves to push the ball down the field and in that regard he is his own worst enemy. If he would ever buy in to a quick timing, short passing game our offense would be unstoppable with the talent we have.
    That is kind of my point exactly. The love fest between Ben and Arians is overboard. Ben is his worst enemy a lot but it's the coaches responbility to change certain things. The owners own, coaches coach and players play. It's one thing to be friends with your boss but the line in responsibilities still need to be there. I don't think it is between Arians and Ben.

I know Ben has a mancrush for Arians but the bottom line is that he would be healthier and more succesfful with a offensive coordinator that doesn't allow him to do whatever the hell he wants.

Starter

User Info Menu

I think the O-line is the problem. If they could dominate the line of scrimmage I think our O would be amazing. Imagine if we could run the ball for 200 ypg, if 2nd/3rd and short was automatic...add Ben and our recievers into that and we would be unstoppable.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler
    I think the O-line is the problem. If they could dominate the line of scrimmage I think our O would be amazing. Imagine if we could run the ball for 200 ypg, if 2nd/3rd and short was automatic...add Ben and our recievers into that and we would be unstoppable.
    Our INTERIOR o-line needs correction.... in a BAD way. However, when you don't utilize a short passing game, your asking for it. And your throwing your o-line to the wolves.

We need a top-tier left guard.... then move Colon to RG.

LT - Starks
    LG - Rookie
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Colon
    RT - Gilbert

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would not hold my breath waiting for Starks to come back next year...

An ACL in a 190 lb WR or 220 lb RB is one thing...

A torn ACL in a 360 lb lineman is another...I don't even want to think about Hampton...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.