Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A deep look at Mike Tomlin's first 5 years

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: A deep look at Mike Tomlin's first 5 years

WAAAY too many extrapolations to fit his 'theories and ideas'.

Giving Tomlin's SB to Cowher is a complete JOKE.

For one, NEITHER man drafts the players. And NEITHER has some special veto power to take certain players. Yes, each man in the draft room can speak passionately about a player he wants and may get him. But you can't do it every pick and we don't know which ones were truly Tomlin specials or group decisions. And the more wrong you are, the less weight you carry in the War room. Tomlin is FAAAAR from a GM. Same as Cowher. And Tomlin more than likely had less weight in his first couple seasons.

So did this have alot of words that made a nice story? Yes, but it was just a story.

ALL coaches lose and lose big games.

The job he did last year to even get to the Super Bowl with that OL was amazing.

This year was a fine job fighting through the season with a positive record.
    How many other coaches would have won a playoff game with this OL?

JScott - Kemo - Legs - Foster - Gilbert
    Backup - bad player - weak feeble - unwanted - rookie
    That my friends is possibly the WORST OL in playoff history.

How about finishing with THREE DL? Yes, a rookie, second year man and an unwanted scrub were the DL for us in the second half of that game....no subs.

Want to go back and fire Coach Noll for losing the 2 SBs in the middle of the first 4? He had the best team EVER and didn't win. Why? Injury problems that PALE in comparison to these beset upon Tomlin this year. Today FA makes it impossible to get past heavy injuries to the big men on the two lines. We had BOTH lines decimated.

This is the ONLY thing I agree with in the "article:"

"To me this is bad management. You have two choices: Take the 'bye' now against Cleveland and hope you win. Or fight for a 'maybe bye' (which never came). Why not just give your players the guaranteed rest right then and there? I suppose Tomlin was afraid to be anything less than a 2 seed, where he has had success."

Should have conceded but it doesn't appear to be in the DNA of Tomlin or Big Ben. Not the worst thing to have to live with. How about have zero fight in your DNA like Norv Turner running your team.

So jump up and down about this article all you want for waking a nice story.
    But it is completely fiction taped together as fact.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin's draft strategy concerned me in 2008
    I often wonder when I see comments like this, or hear people say such things as "Timmons was Tomlin's first draft pick."

Do we really think that a rookie HC coming into his first draft said "I've decided that the organization is choosing Lawrence Timmons." I would think that DL had more of a say on timmons and Woodley than Tomlin did.

At that point we weren't even running his D, but he decided that Timmons was his man?

Cowher may have had that kind of pull by the end of his tenure. He won a power struggle with Donahoe and then brought in Colbert to replace him. At that point in time maybe only Parcells held more power in the league when it came to decisions of personnel and draft, and his power was still not absolute. For example, allegedly in 2004 Ben was not his man, he was Rooney's.

I have no problem with laying blame on Tomlin when due, but I believe that we should limit such blame to decisions that are within his control.

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft Picks: Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal, Ryan Mundy, Thomas McAllister
    Who the hell is Thomas McAllister? We didn't draft anyone by that name in 2008.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    The only thing I had a problem with is this opinion:

I feel like 2008 was a championship that should have gone to Bill Cowher because a lot of those players were from his era, and Tomlin only added a couple pieces to that puzzle.
    This is BS.

If Bill Cowher's 2006 version of the Steelers had actually done something besides go .500, I might agree.

Some people opine that Tomlin had a team that was just a few years removed from a SB. Those people overlook the fact that he also had a team that was a few years removed from .500.

Giving Cowher credit for the SB XLIII Lombardi would be like giving Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary credit for what Jim Harbaugh has done in San Francisco...
    I agree wholeheartedly with you. I think it is simpleminded to give an absent coach credit for any winning that his explayers do. I don't see anything remarkable about this guys analysis. Something is always going to go wrong in a sporting event. No coach will go 19-0 every year with 45-0 beatdowns along the way to an annual Lombardi.

If you can't be sold on a coach that delivers the winning percentage and playoff appearances and victories that the Steelers have had the last five seasons with Tomlin, you are a miserable wretch, with some type of agenda, who cannot be satisfied. There are too many other teams loaded with talent to realistically expect 19-0s every year.

It would be interesting to see if Cowher or Tomlin could be as successful in a different environment. I think Cowher and Tomlin both have benefitted from the synergistic power of great ownership, tradition and fan support. Sure I will differ with some of Tomlin's moves, but overall I am very comfortable that he is an astute coach with strong leadership abilities, who will produce a high quality competitive team.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Draft Picks: Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal, Ryan Mundy, Thomas McAllister
    MAN, that was a SH!T draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

And it is hurting Steelers now.

Chain Reaction: If Bruce Davis would have been NFL Player...Steelers would have drafted Sean Lee instead of Jason W. If Limas Sweed could catch the ball ..Steelers would not need a big tall WR. If tony Hill would have been serviceable steelers would not be struggling with O-line.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler

And it is hurting Steelers now.

Chain Reaction: If Bruce Davis would have been NFL Player...Steelers would have drafted Sean Lee instead of Jason W. If Limas Sweed could catch the ball ..Steelers would not need a big tall WR. If tony Hill would have been serviceable steelers would not be struggling with O-line.

Davis was a bust, but that is the high risk we deal with playing a 3-4 defense where we speculate on converting college DEs from their natural positions to something completely new. This is a league wide issue, remember Vernon Gholston????

Hills was always a reach coming off a injury. They definitely rolled the dice on him.

I still say Sweed was a good pick. Can't fault the front office for a guy having mental issue combined with injury issues. They can't measure someone's mental health and by all indications coming out of college he was never an issue.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10
    Dumbest article ever!
    Cowher have never had 3 twelve win seasons out of 4.
    It took Cower 15 years to win one without choking, what make you think that he could win 2 in for 4.
    The lame argument is that Cowher players was used, but other than Ben name some that had a bigger impact than the players Tomlin brought in. Wood, Timmons, Moore, Jh who a year early wasn't even good enough to start for Cowher. Lame

If you evaluated Cower the same way at the end of the nineties you woulkd ask why the heck he was ever a coach and he would never had won a single Super Bowl.

Total BS hatchet job by someone who obviously doesn't like Tomlin.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree, not to mention that Cowher took some of Noll players and had success. Woodson anyone.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

haha, that was some sheety draft that gets worse with age. I remember everyone excited after that draft. Mendy fell down to us and there was good old Sweed totally slips to us in second.

Gotta say, I always knew Sweed was a dude. He was tall and pretty fast but never tested in college due to absolute fear VY struck into the heart of all college DCs. Sweed was always wide open regardless of this sloppy routes and hands of stone. It actually was a bad pick considering all 31 other teams figured it out and the Steelers didn't.

Can't say I saw Bruce Davis collapse though I suspect Hills of being soft and thinish for T. I thought he might be athletic enough to be a backup at least, which I guess he was for awhile.
    And there's Mundy. Lingers on squad long enough to cost us playoff game. lol lovely

Thomas McAllister may have been the best pick of the bunch. Never heard of him. haha