Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A deep look at Mike Tomlin's first 5 years

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: A deep look at Mike Tomlin's first 5 years

That's odd...when Chadman read the article the first time, he didn't pick up on the anti-Tomlin slant.

Thought there was a lot of decent research put into the article, to be honest.

Not everyone will agree on opinion pieces, but it is somewhat true that Tomlin took over a team that Cowher had pieced together quite nicely. That isn't Tomlin's fault, or a knock on Tomlin. More of a 'props to Cowher' type thing. Still, there are plenty of talented football teams that don't win Super Bowls- Philadelphia 2011 anyone? So Tomlin's accomplishment, even if it was started by Cowher, cannot be taken from him.

Interesting to read about his season- to- season turnarounds in regards to winning, or more importantly, not losing like he had the season before. And how he rarely loses back-to-back games.

If anything, Chadman found the article somewhat supportive of Tomlin, if not overly supportive.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned in relation to drafted players to roster members conversations go- the Steelers roster has been set & solid for a number of years. This is a tough group to break into & get a start on. So the fact that middle to late round draft picks 'fail' to stick is not that surprising really.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10
    I agree, not to mention that Cowher took some of Noll players and had success. Woodson anyone.
    Not to mention Dermontti Dawson, Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, Barry Foster, etc.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10
    I agree, not to mention that Cowher took some of Noll players and had success. Woodson anyone.
    Not to mention Dermontti Dawson, Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, Barry Foster, etc.
    Neil O'Donnell, too. Love him or hate him, he was part of Cowher's early success.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree, that Tomlin did inherit good team but, you cannot give credit to winning a SB to a past coach....Tomlin gets credit for the SB..period.

Like I said, before in another post,
    Tomlin appears to lack motivational skills to the players.
    Adjustments to the team during a game, execution of plays.
    stubborn on plays that don't work....

......oh get some great OL players

Sword