View Poll Results: Why do you think Tomlin keeps Arians?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Because he honestly believes Arians is a good coach

8 21.05%
  • 2. He doesn't have the cojones to fire him

4 10.53%
  • 3. Arians has something on Tomlin (black-mail)

2 5.26%
  • 4. Because Big Ben is so attached to Arians

21 55.26%
  • 5. The front office really likes Arians and will not let it happen

3 7.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Tomlin keeps Arians

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Why Tomlin keeps Arians

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":37gu1qfg
    I think fans lament over losses harder than players and coaches do. I mean how fired up do you really think Tomlin is over this season? Guy has it made. Stadium is full, team is 12-4, have been to two Superbowls in what 5 years with this crew? Dude is riding the wave right now & doesn't want to screw things up. Firing a coordinator & trying to improve things could make things worse so what's his motivation to do so.
    A lot of key Steelers starters weren't able to stay healthy this year...who knows what they could have done with better health?

Firing Arians, LeBeau or Tomlin doesn't make those guys healthier...
    I have no beef with keeping Lebeau. But answer this, was our redzone woes this year limited to just this season? Has this been an issue for more than this season, the past two, three, four seasons? Would firing Arians and hiring a new OC fix this issue?[/quote:37gu1qfg]

A new OC won't fix the way Ben plays and Ben isn't a consistent QB. He is clutch, gritty and a great playmaker but he isn't fluid and he doesn't take what is there half the time.

There is no way Ben moves the ball with ease between the 20's and somehow gets handicapped by Arians in the RZ. How can Ben be so awesome yet so easily foiled by the OC once inside the 20?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I have no beef with keeping Lebeau. But answer this, was our redzone woes this year limited to just this season? Has this been an issue for more than this season, the past two, three, four seasons? Would firing Arians and hiring a new OC fix this issue?
    Do we still have the same offensive line?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I find it humorous to think another OC is going to magically fix that horrendous OL.

Yes, some was bad luck, losing Starks midgame and Pouncey in pregame.

What magical offense would arise with another OC?

Frankly, with that OL, all you can do is what they are doing. Hoping Ben can stay upright, fight through collapses in the scheme and make a big play.
    His leg gets hurt, its over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin seems to be a straight shooter to me. Remember his first training camp when he put Hines and several other veterans in their place? Remember how he got on Big Snack when he couldn't finish the conditioning test? He's not afraid of any player or coach. He doesn't feel it will be easy to get an upgrade for Arians. It's that plain and simple.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=feltdizz]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3bvja72f
    I think fans lament over losses harder than players and coaches do. I mean how fired up do you really think Tomlin is over this season? Guy has it made. Stadium is full, team is 12-4, have been to two Superbowls in what 5 years with this crew? Dude is riding the wave right now & doesn't want to screw things up. Firing a coordinator & trying to improve things could make things worse so what's his motivation to do so.
    A lot of key Steelers starters weren't able to stay healthy this year...who knows what they could have done with better health?

Firing Arians, LeBeau or Tomlin doesn't make those guys healthier...
    I have no beef with keeping Lebeau. But answer this, was our redzone woes this year limited to just this season? Has this been an issue for more than this season, the past two, three, four seasons? Would firing Arians and hiring a new OC fix this issue?
    A new OC won't fix the way Ben plays and Ben isn't a consistent QB. He is clutch, gritty and a great playmaker but he isn't fluid and he doesn't take what is there half the time.

There is no way Ben moves the ball with ease between the 20's and somehow gets handicapped by Arians in the RZ. How can Ben be so awesome yet so easily foiled by the OC once inside the 20?[/quote:3bvja72f]

You just made it sound like the Steelers do not need an OC. Ben is the problem and if he'd just dump it off to the underneath man we'd be lighting up the score board.

OC is the problem! Ben covers that fact by being elusive between the 20's, but once the D has its back to the wall they're able to rope in Ben. We need someone who can design plays and be creative in the play calling or we will continue to be one of the worst redzone O's in the league.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy

You just made it sound like the Steelers do not need an OC. Ben is the problem and if he'd just dump it off to the underneath man we'd be lighting up the score board.

OC is the problem! Ben covers that fact by being elusive between the 20's, but once the D has its back to the wall they're able to rope in Ben. We need someone who can design plays and be creative in the play calling or we will continue to be one of the worst redzone O's in the league.
    Every game Ben dumped it off underneath we blew the other team out. That's a fact.

Ben doesn't cover up anything... he just needs to take what is there and we will be a better team.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Tomlin seems to be a straight shooter to me. Remember his first training camp when he put Hines and several other veterans in their place? Remember how he got on Big Snack when he couldn't finish the conditioning test? He's not afraid of any player or coach. He doesn't feel it will be easy to get an upgrade for Arians. It's that plain and simple.

Truth!!! Anyone who thinlks Tomlin is intimidated or afraid of offending any plauyer is an idiot. Tomlin has probably earned more respect from his players than Cowher ever did because the whole Cowher tough guy act was a joke to the players. You use to see when they asked about it how they all would get a big grin before answering.

Tomlin is one of the most respected coaches in the league. He doesn't have to worry about what anyone thinks except for AR II, especially fans.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin is scared of me! I punked him in an alley up in the 'Burgh about 3 weeks ago. Seriously though, players loved and respected Cowher. "RUSH THE QUARTERBACK"!
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I believe Tomlin would leave this organization before he would allow himself to be rendered powerless by another player, especially one whose play has been questionable at best in his own right.

I think, for now, Tomlin has bought into the "steeler way" which is predicated on continuity. Which is not a bad thing when it has proven to be successful. Furthurmore, Ben doesn't strike me as being very "coachable". I mean, he has been in the same offensive system his entire career and the offense still looks like chopped liver most of the time. Ben didn't get along with Whiz, can you imagine Ben trying to learn a Charlie Weis offense or Todd Haley and Ben coexisting? Tomlin is probably like, I can't do it man....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Continuity in a time of upheavel.
    $$