Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ward Willing to Take Pay Cut

Re: Ward Willing to Take Pay Cut

It's a hell of a situation...

Personally, I'm torn...

There's a part of me that thinks Hines probably should hang 'em up...but, there's another part of me that thinks Hines can still be the player who scored 2 TDs against the Titans and that limiting his snaps to multiple WR sets will keep him healthy enough to threaten on passing downs...

And, Chadman is right: Hines isn't keeping anyone off the field. Mostly because the player who used to back him up clearly stepped up and earned the starting job. That hasn't happened a lot on defense...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Ward, take a pay cut and retire a Steeler.

He's still a valuable asset for this team. Let's face it.... injuries are likely and depth is needed at the WR position.

Hall of Famer

This might get messy guys by the numbers. He is due a roster bonus in March. His cut would have to be in the 75% range. His base is 4 mil. That roster bonus will count towards 2012 cap. Vet min for Ward is $925,000. Add on his roster bonus at min he is already getting too much. Cotchery signed for $810,000 last year. I can't see anyone being happy through this process form the Rooney's to Ward & the fans when he gets cut. I just hope both sides add a little of the "family" we hear about when it comes time to bend. Both sides are gonna have to give alot to see Ward retire a Steeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    It's a hell of a situation...

Personally, I'm torn...

There's a part of me that thinks Hines probably should hang 'em up...but, there's another part of me that thinks Hines can still be the player who scored 2 TDs against the Titans and that limiting his snaps to multiple WR sets will keep him healthy enough to threaten on passing downs...

And, Chadman is right: Hines isn't keeping anyone off the field. Mostly because the player who used to back him up clearly stepped up and earned the starting job. That hasn't happened a lot on defense...

I really thought at some point in the Denver game Ward would have converted a key third down or maybe even scored a TD. It was hard seeing him sit on the bench, which is where he'll likely be most of next year if he returns.

But this team will have a lot of veteran leaders retiring. It would be nice if he was around for one more year, but perhaps that is more sentiment than reason.

Ward = Steelers! plain and simple

Not one player on the team, can compete who has the biggest heart and soul of being a steeler! Even this year, with the cameras showing him on the bench, for a moment when you see him, your heart cheers and got that steeler passion going through your veins thinking " HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO! " Regardless if you felt a slight pity for him. He still had that effect to get you going! Now that to me is priceless for the franchise!

I guarantee you people will still buy his jersey just because of that fact. Good marketing and great example for the young money crew, and other young Steeler stars, what it means to be a Steeler for life!

I think he is realist and knows that he is not 1 nor 2 nor 3 or even 4, but the fact is he wants to play for the steelers. Is he an expensive back up? Yes, but they are going to cut and restructure other players and for sure will go under the cap.

So, if he asks for a few 100,000 more than what is really ideal for a vetern WR so be it.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

Odds and end zones

Hines Ward has told the P-G that he wants to play for the Steelers next season and is willing to take a pay cut to do so.

But, if a deal can't be worked out, Ward plans on trying to play somewhere else.

There are some on the coaching staff who don't want Ward back. In fact, one member of the staff didn't want him back in 2010.

But ownership wanted Ward with the team then and will likely want him back in 2012 as well.

Ward has been such a popular player for such a long time that the team will allow him to go out on his own terms and in a Steelers uniform. Unless, of course, Ward insists on having a greater role than what he played in the second half of 2012.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    This might get messy guys by the numbers. He is due a roster bonus in March. His cut would have to be in the 75% range. His base is 4 mil. That roster bonus will count towards 2012 cap. Vet min for Ward is $925,000. Add on his roster bonus at min he is already getting too much. Cotchery signed for $810,000 last year. I can't see anyone being happy through this process form the Rooney's to Ward & the fans when he gets cut. I just hope both sides add a little of the "family" we hear about when it comes time to bend. Both sides are gonna have to give alot to see Ward retire a Steeler.
    He can forsake his roster bonus as part of a reduction. The only thing that he can't reduce is the value of any bonus already paid to him, and that stays on the cap whether he is here or not.

Hall of Famer

[quote=steeler_fan_in_t.o.]
    Quote Originally Posted by "JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":223zbhd2
    He can forsake his roster bonus as part of a reduction. The only thing that he can't reduce is the value of any bonus already paid to him, and that stays on the cap whether he is here or not.[/quote:223zbhd2]

I know how it works and his number over his base is $610,000 for 2012. So I assume his remaining signing bonus is 1.2 mil. Not sure of any gurantee money. What I am saying is his min salary for 2012 can be $925,000. Since his signing bonus may be $610,000 the min he will be making for 2012 is 1.5 mil. That would be with throwing everything out the window on his current contract that goes to 2013. So to get there he would have to take a 75% paycut and waive his roster bonus before March 1. That would be alot for him to swallow. Pride - end of career - contract money...don't get along well because the "What I did for the organization" is always going through the players mind. I hate this part of football.

Hines knows that the FO is dealing with a cap situation...he also knows that he has been beaten out for a starting position...

He knows the position of the FO and he knows that any negotiations would be in good faith...they aren't pinching pennies, they simply have to deal with the realities of the salary cap...

Realistically, Hines isn't going to make more than veteran minimum anywhere he signs...he can take it from the Steelers or he can take it from another team...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Hines knows that the FO is dealing with a cap situation...he also knows that he has been beaten out for a starting position...

He knows the position of the FO and he knows that any negotiations would be in good faith...they aren't pinching pennies, they simply have to deal with the realities of the salary cap...

Realistically, Hines isn't going to make more than veteran minimum anywhere he signs...he can take it from the Steelers or he can take it from another team...
    Realisticaly yes......But is Hines going to play for Vet min? Of course he knows the Steelers situation and where he is at on the depth chart. Like I said...This is what I hate about football. Hines in under contract and he has spent his whole career here and doesn't want to retire just yet. He was a big part of the success the Steelers had for over the last decade. But it isn't about what he did anymore. You have to feel that pride will come into the equation when he is sitting in the room of Rooney's, Colbert, Tomlin, & his agent and they say "Hines...We can't let you play out your contract. Will you be willing to take a substantial pay cut to remain here." When he asks how much or what they purpose for 2012 and his number went from 4 mil plus to 1.5 mil that will be difficult.

Lets be clear on how I feel. I would love to have Ward back around vet min. I don't want to see him play in another uniform. I would hope he walks away before he decides that path. He can make his money sitting in front of a camera on Sundays. The business side of it is you can get a rookie or 2nd year player in the 300k-500k range and his contract isn't guranteed. If Sanders & Cotchery were healthy all year, where would Wards catch count be? Where do we think Ward catch count will be next year? It is an easy argument to put his catches under 20 on this team. I have that gut feeling where this is that ugly time where the Steelers are forced to let fan favorites and franchise core players go to move on to reload before the train leaves. The window shut but if you act quickly and be proactive...There is no reason that window remains closed. It can open as quickly as next year. Protect & Invest in the future. The Investment in the past needs to be erased.