Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ward Willing to Take Pay Cut

Re: Ward Willing to Take Pay Cut

If he's willing to take and pay cut and isn't griping about his role, then why not at least bring him to camp? There is no other team that would want him as a starter now. He's made his share of money, which I hope he hasn't blown, like many athletes do, and now he just wants to play for the love of the game. It's nice.

My advice to him might be, let somebody attach an ACL to your knee. You did 1,000 receptions without one, now if you get one, it might help you hang around a little longer. Also watch the weight. Stay as slim as possible. Hyperbaric chamber round the clock.

I think they can afford to keep a Hines Ward but I hope they do try to get younger next year. So some of the other vets have got to go.

I love Hines Ward. I believe he is what is good with the game of football. I have long been a fan of him retiring a Steeler.

That being said, I think it's time for us to part ways with him. Not because of anything he said or did...I think this team needs to get younger and if I have a choice of spending money to bring someone in to fill a role, I want someone who has a chance of getting better as a season wear on, not brittle.

I will use our hated rivals the Ravens as an example. Todd Heap was beloved by the fans...I am sure there were a lot of fans who were shocked and pi$$ed at their jetisoning of him and Derrick Mason for that matter.

But I believe in the long run this probably was the best thing the Ravens could do. Not the ST windfall they received of the #2 seed, that is just gravy for them.

I hate writing this thread, and while I don't think the Steelers need a full rebuild, it's time to start seeding with potential and growth. Not keeping guys on the roster that should have moved on to their "life's work".

brothervad

Some interesting tidbits from Dale Lolley:

© Hines Ward has told the P-G that he wants to play for the Steelers next season and is willing to take a pay cut to do so.

But, if a deal can't be worked out, Ward plans on trying to play somewhere else.

There are some on the coaching staff who don't want Ward back. In fact, one member of the staff didn't want him back in 2010.

But ownership wanted Ward with the team then and will likely want him back in 2012 as well.

Ward has been such a popular player for such a long time that the team will allow him to go out on his own terms and in a Steelers uniform. Unless, of course, Ward insists on having a greater role than what he played in the second half of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Some interesting tidbits from Dale Lolley:

© Hines Ward has told the P-G that he wants to play for the Steelers next season and is willing to take a pay cut to do so.

But, if a deal can't be worked out, Ward plans on trying to play somewhere else.

There are some on the coaching staff who don't want Ward back. In fact, one member of the staff didn't want him back in 2010.

But ownership wanted Ward with the team then and will likely want him back in 2012 as well.

Ward has been such a popular player for such a long time that the team will allow him to go out on his own terms and in a Steelers uniform. Unless, of course, Ward insists on having a greater role than what he played in the second half of 2012.
    If ownership is going to get involved in the decision like that, then I think it's a mistake. Yes, Hines has been a great player for the Steelers for years, but his better days are far behind him and they need move on. i hated seeing Rod Woodson in another uniform, but it happens. You can't keep a guy on the roster just because he's been a great player for you. It's all about what he can do for you in the future and I just don't see Hines adding much to the roster.

I don't see the Steelers keeping Hines as much as they would probably like to.
    Too old for a team that is already too old. It's time to cut ties with the older players and look towards the future with the younger guys.

Had the coaches/team thought Hines was a positive to get the job done this past season then, Hines would have gotten more playing time. I also think the reason why they had Hines get his 1000 catch was to allow the Hines era to come to an end.

Cotchry is a nice addition to the team but, I doubt they will break the bank for him and need him to accept a modest paycheck since they're so over the cap. His body of work wasn't anything to write home about this season as a Steeler receiver with his injuries and very little playing time.

Will Cotchry be in that big of demand from the other NFL teams ? As someone said, Cotchry seemed to view the Steelers as the promise land and possibly he is now in it for the ring. Cotchry won't be the only verteran out there for the taking, Hines will probably make the market one more receiver ready.

I believe Hampton is due some big dollars that they probably can't get around unless, he restructures his salary or they're happy with McClendon and let big snack go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    If given the choice I would rather have Brown and Cotchery over just having Wallace. That is still a very good WR trio...Brown, Sanders and Cotchery. If Wallace wants top 10 money that is likely what we will see.
    It is very unlikely that Wallace won't be on this team next year. He's an RFA so the team will keep him at a reasonably low number for at least a year. He'll likely sign a fair to team friendly contract with a middling term because the Team has all the leverage in the negotiations this year.

His alternative is playing a year under an RFA tender. In this case, a single injury to something like a knee, could end his entire career (especially for a guy that is so dependant on speed). The team will give him the opportunity to make more money than the average person will spend in a lifetime in his second contract, but it's the third contract (UFA) when guys become rediculously rich. It would be very hard to walk away from a deal like that IMO.

The only way he goes next year is if another team is willing to give us a 1st and a 3rd (I'm sure we'll give him the high tender) and we arn't willing to match. Wallace is good, but that's a hell of alot to give up for a WR.

I think some of the reasoning behind whom they sign vs whom they release will have to do with personalities too. Not to say I know what these guys are like off the field or in the locker room but my guess that, has something to do with it too.
    Antonio Brown reminds me a lot like Santonio Holmes and maybe it's only because of he copies that stupid ball pointing with dropping the ball as Santonio had. Also he catches a lot of passes.

They keep saying no one works harder than Antonio so I believe them but, I do wonder how well he would do if Wallace wasn't getting doubled teamed.

I have a lot of faith in Colbert with getting the best deals done with keeping the needed players.

Too bad he doesn't have input with what coaches stay and what coaches should get the boot.

Would Brown be more of an asset to have since he is also such a good player with the kick returns and then, if he is our number one receiver someday, will they still allow him to return kicks ?

Pro Bowler

Wallace, Brown and Sanders are very young. It would not hurt to have Ward on the team for semi-cheap.
    Ward and 3 young guys allows more teaching. Ward can still play enough and some guys will miss some time.

I wouldn't be upset if Ward remained at a minimum price but, I just wouldn't want him taking a roster spot over a future player that could add years and service to the team.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Everyone is talking about the Steelers 'getting old' & needing new blood, which is true.

But Ward is one that could stay- he actually is the only 'old' player on the Offense side of the ball. And he's a member of the youngest unit (outside of him) on the roster. His experience would be invaluable.

Is he a starter? Obviously not. But he can contribute...and teach Brown, Wallace & Sanders how to be Steelers.

He isn't holding anybody back, and he's not the reason the Offense wasn't working.

It's not the same on the D-side of the ball where aging players are keeping young players off the field, and declining in their on-field performance at the same time.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00