Thread: Upset Weekend

Legend

Upset Weekend

I had a dream last night that all the underdogs won this weekend. Wonder if it could really happen?

I'm going with it and predicting it will happen and here's why it may make sense.

1. Houston over Baltimore - Take away QBs and these are the 2 best teams in the playoffs. And this is the game I'm most looking forward to watching. Real, authentic football will happen here. For the purists, this might be the last real football game of the season. They matchup almost perfectly, but the one difference is Andre Johnson - Houston has him and Baltimore doesn't. Flacco will mess up and Johnson will make a play for Yates that will be the difference.

2. NYG over Green Bay - The Giants all of a sudden have a defense. And Eli's shown he's capable of keeping up with any shootout. The Giants are the better team right now. But this would be the least likely upset imho because it's in GB and Eli can throw some really bad passes in bad weather.

3. SF over NO - SF has the defense to hold down NO. Even at home. And the running game to keep them off the field. Aldon Smith will be the difference in this game. I've seen Max Starks go through weeks of handling some of the best pass rushers in the game. And Smith threw him around like a rag doll. I think SF creates so many problems with their D because you have to double the Smith brothers and that's going to free up Willis to make plays everywhere.

4. Denver over NE - I saw some of their recent game and the Pats couldn't deal with the Denver running game. And I think they could have some problems again. Tebow turned the ball over last time and if he doesn't this time, he just might be able to change the outcome. NE's D is as bad as their offense is good. And the Pats haven't won a playoff game since they cheated. John Fox is running a really good team.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Upset Weekend

The Pats haven't won a playoff game since they cheated.
    Actually, they haven't won a Super Bowl since they cheated. They won a couple of playoff games in the 18-1 season to qualify for that Super Bowl game against the Giants. But starting with that Giant loss, they are on a 3 game playoff losing streak (of course, we are on a 2 game playoff losing streak ourselves...oh well).

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The Pats haven't won a playoff game since they cheated.
    Actually, they haven't won a Super Bowl since they cheated. They won a couple of playoff games in the 18-1 season to qualify for that Super Bowl game against the Giants. But starting with that Giant loss, they are on a 3 game playoff losing streak (of course, we are on a 2 game playoff losing streak ourselves...oh well).
    I can never get anything right

I doubt all 4 will be upsets. But it wouldnt shock me if it happens. If you think about it there are foreseeable scenarios in each game where an upset is possible. Ill settle for Hou>Bal and Den>NE though. That would make my weekend.

Legend

1 upset in the Wild Card

2 upsets in the Divisional

to keep a pattern going, it'll have to be 2 upsets in the Championship round.

and 1 upset in the SuperBowl....

SUNDAY, JANUARY 15, 2012

Final Four are set

The NFL's Final Four are now set with the Ravens set to visit New England in the AFC and the Giants traveling to San Francisco in the NFC.

There are a couple of interesting notes about that.

First is the fact the Steelers played three of the final four teams this season - and five of the eight final eight.

In fact, all five of Pittsburgh's losses this season came to teams that were in the final eight teams standing. Three of their five losses and one victory - came against teams that reached the conference championship game.

Home teams went 7-1 in the first two rounds of the postseason, a far cry different than things had been in the previous four seasons when the home teams were just 21-19.

Finally, three of the final four teams employ more traditional offenses - ie. a fullback on a regular basis.

New England is the only team that uses the multiple tight end formations favored by the Steelers, though San Francisco certainly uses plenty of multiple tight end sets.

The 49ers remind me quite a bit of the 1994 Steelers. Great defense, solid running game and so-so quarterback.

Does that make Eli Manning Stan Humphries next weekend. We'll see about that.

As I was talking about how I'd hate to see another Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh game in the Super Bowl, my wife remarked how silly the their parents were before the first meeting on Thanksgiving.

Jack Harbaugh and his wife, whose name escapes me, said something to the effect that watching their two sons coach against each other was one of the hardest things a parent could do.

Please.

Their sons are making millions to coach football teams. Every once in a while, they'll face each other.

But there are plenty of other tough things that parents go through on a daily basis that make what the Harbaugh family went through on Thanksgiving look like a day at the beach.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

50% Flip, not bad.

Once a cheater, always a cheater. Knowing what an asswhole Bellicheat reallys is and what a horrible prick he is during the games, interviews or the lack of showing the other coaches, cameramen and the game the respect that should be given along with his past cheatring means to me, the guy is still cheating.

The Gianst proved homefield is not always a plus but I guess you can say the same thing about the Steelers.
    Also in my opinion, the NFL now has what they've been pushing for, hi-octane offense. They want to see nothing but scoring and no defense.

Last team with the ball is generally going to win with this new sissyfied football.