Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

2.611M - 1st round compensation*

I would pick this one. Maybe it lures someone in to swipe him away for a first round pick. Brown becomes our deep threat considering he is about a gnats azz slower then wallace and has better hands. We pick another WR in the mid rounds and bring in some UDFA from smaller schools to compete in camp. Use the 1st round pick on OL.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Didn't Wallace's peers in the NFL who play against him just vote him to the Pro Bowl along with fans from across the country? Didn't we hear from former players who are now on networks commenting about how other teams gameplan against Wallace, did hear that about Brown???? Guess they all know nothing.

I love both Wallace and Brown because together they are synergistic on what they cause to happen on the field. The attention Wallace gets has allowed Brown to be successful. Don't kid yourself though by thinking Brown would get the same deep threat coverage and attention that Wallace does. Brown is a move the chains type of guy with great after the catch ability. If you take one away there is nothing equal to make that equation the same and that threat the same.

If you want a team that can get into scoring battles with other teams like Green Bay, New Orleans and New England you would not let Wallace go anywhere.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Didn't Wallace's peers in the NFL who play against him just vote him to the Pro Bowl along with fans from across the country? Didn't we hear from former players who are now on networks commenting about how other teams gameplan against Wallace, did hear that about Brown???? Guess they all know nothing.

I love both Wallace and Brown because together they are synergistic on what they cause to happen on the field. The attention Wallace gets has allowed Brown to be successful.

If you want a team that can get into scoring battles with other teams like Green Bay, New Orleans and New England you would not let Wallace go anywhere.
    You would, however, get rid of Bruce Arians! Guess we will have to rely on our D to prevent those teams from scoring quite as much like we normally do when playing playoff caliber teams.

Honestly, the only 'shootout' I can EVER remember the Steelers winning was the game Ben put up 500+ yards passing vs. Green Bay a few years ago. That is really the ONLY time I can remember something like that.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Wallace is worth an large contract. Back-to-back 100o yard seasons, the best deep threat in the NFL...opens up space for guys like Miller & Brown...comfortable with Ben's style of play/

Don't weaken a strength of the team simply because he's not a 'complete WR'....the dude is a weapon.

I may not like his weaknesses but I love his strength(s)
    +1.... it might not be so much about the plays HE is making as much as about the plays others are. Still a 1000 yd WR....could do far far worse. But somebody will likely offer him crazy money....then will need to make a decision. The crazy money needs to go to Brown.

Legend

User Info Menu

An actual on-field opponent thought Brown was a better receiver than Wallace, and this was said at the beginning of November, before Antonio really took off and before Wallace really tailed off.

Lardarius Webb thinks Antonio Brown is better than Mike Wallace
    Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 2:32 PM EST

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has become one of the great young wideouts in the NFL. But Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb thinks there’s even a greater receiver.

On the same team.

“Every time somebody asks me [a question], they’re always talking about Mike Wallace. But they have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game,” Webb said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “He’s a great returner, a great wide receiver.”
    [url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/lardarius-webb-thinks-antonio-brown-is-better-than-mike-wallace/[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You know what team would love to have Wallace and has picks to burn?

Cleveland

They could easily land Wallace. The one thing that would prevent this is they would not want to give the Steelers two high picks this draft.

However, he is just what their offense needs to go with Greg Little.

RGIII, Greg, Little, Mike Wallace, Josh Cribbs is much better than what they had this year.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    An actual on-field opponent thought Brown was a better receiver than Wallace, and this was said at the beginning of November, before Antonio really took off and before Wallace really tailed off.

Lardarius Webb thinks Antonio Brown is better than Mike Wallace
    Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 2:32 PM EST

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has become one of the great young wideouts in the NFL. But Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb thinks there’s even a greater receiver.

On the same team.

“Every time somebody asks me [a question], they’re always talking about Mike Wallace. But they have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game,” Webb said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “He’s a great returner, a great wide receiver.”
    [url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/lardarius-webb-thinks-antonio-brown-is-better-than-mike-wallace/[/url]
    And I wouldn't be surprised to hear people saying similar things about Manny Sanders soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

I predicted Brown would be the best WR back when many were screaming about Wallace.

Anyway.... just about every Steeler fan was on the Wallace wagon until Brown changed our mind.

If someone offers crazy money Wallace has to go.... but I would love to keep him if possible. Let Mend go...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob

Cleveland

They could easily land Wallace. The one thing that would prevent this is they would not want to give the Steelers two high picks this draft.

RGIII, Greg, Little, Mike Wallace, Josh Cribbs is much better than what they had this year.
    However, if they tendered him a contract as an RFA, and we had the highest tender on him (requiring 1st and 3rd round compensation), they would have to give up their own 1st round pick (#4 overall) as opposed to the 1st rounder they got from Atlanta (#22 overall), so they would not be able to have both Griffin and Wallace.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob

Cleveland

However, if they tendered him a contract as an RFA, and we had the highest tender on him (requiring 1st and 3rd round compensation), they would have to give up their own 1st round pick (#4 overall) as opposed to the 1st rounder they got from Atlanta (#22 overall), so they would not be able to have both Griffin and Wallace.
    Too true. What if they offered a straight up #22 for Wallace. Would the Steelers accept?
    Here comes the BOOM!