Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanders, Brown and Wallace: best WR trio in NFL next season?

Legend

User Info Menu

Sanders, Brown and Wallace: best WR trio in NFL next season?

Steelers WRs Sanders, Brown are already plotting encore

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The influence that veteran Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has had on second-year men Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown apparently extends beyond football.

Sanders and Brown plan to incorporate dancing — yes, dancing — into their offseason training regimen.

"Me and Antonio are talking about getting together in Miami," Sanders said Tuesday, prior to his exit interview with coach Mike Tomlin. "I don't know what type (of dancing), but we'll be doing it."

If the dancing helps Sanders put his foot problems in the past, it could turn into a question of whether he or Brown leads in the passing game.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pounder showed what he can do when close to full strength Sunday.

Sanders led the Steelers in catches (six) and receptions (81) in a 29-23 overtime loss to Denver. Sanders was also the primary receiver on the play near the end of regulation that the Steelers hoped would put them into field goal range, but Roethlisberger was sacked for an 11-yard loss.

Sanders, Brown and Mike Wallace could form one of the top receiving trios in the NFL next season. The caveat there is that Sanders has to stay healthy.

Sanders had fractures repaired in both feet in the past year. A knee problem related to the foot injuries also contributed to Sanders missing six games in 2011.

Sanders, who caught 22 passes for 288 yards during the regular season, said he will take a month off before he starts training for 2012. One key difference this offseason, he said, is that he will be able to practice and work out at Steelers' headquarters.

"There's no lockout," Sanders said, "so I'll be training here in Pittsburgh and getting the best treatment possible."

Sanders said rest is the best treatment for the foot problems that plagued him since he broke his right foot in Super Bowl XLV.

"I'm looking forward to taking a month off and then getting bigger, stronger and faster," Sanders said, "and trying to come back in 2012 to get (Super Bowl) No. 7. It's all about championship around here."

That sensibility is what will also drive Brown following a breakout season in which he set a Steelers single-season record for all-purpose yards (2,211) and was voted MVP by his teammates.

"Even with all the records, that wasn't enough," said Brown, who opened the season as the Steelers' No. 4 receiver but finished with 1,108 receiving yards. "It's all about continuing to play and getting to that highest level. I definitely can get better. I can get stronger and catch more balls."

The biggest question surrounding the wide receiving corps is whether Hines Ward will be catching passes for the Steelers next season.

Ward, who just completed his 14th season, refuted a report Monday that he is likely to retire.

"I talked to him about two weeks ago, and he told me that he still doesn't know 100 percent (what he's going to do)," Sanders said. "But if he comes back, we'll welcome him with open arms. Hines has helped the receiving corps a lot, and he definitely taught me, Antonio and Mike what it takes to be a pro in this league."

SOUNDING OFF

Here are sound bites from assorted Steelers players who met with reporters Tuesday at team headquarters:

"We felt like we had a great shot. We pretty much handled New England in the regular season, and we felt like we could make a good run to the Super Bowl. It's unfortunate. We got Tebowed." — Running back Isaac Redman, on how he rated the Steelers' chances of making it back to the Super Bowl

"That'll be tough, but all the older guys, they installed the mindset of how to play Steeler football. So, new captains are going to have to step up, guys who have been around, but it's just the same old thing, playing Steelers football. So, that's what we're going to do." — Cornerback William Gay, on the potential for significant roster turnover before next season

"I want to be a starter, and I'd love to start for the Steelers. But we'll see what happens in the offseason, but I feel like I helped myself out here, showing my versatility by playing multiple positions. And I think playing center helped me out a lot, so we'll see what happens." — Guard Trai Essex, who becomes an unrestricted free agent in March

"I think I made good progress. First two seasons I really didn't showcase anything, but came back stronger this year as a more mature player and just listened to guys like Troy (Polamalu), Ryan (Clark), Ike (Taylor) and Gay and B Mac (Bryant McFadden). I'll come in ready to compete for a starting spot next year." — Cornerback Keenan Lewis, on his 2011 season

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_776007.html#ixzz1j7tRmwp7"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1j7tRmwp7[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Sanders, Brown and Wallace: best WR trio in NFL next sea

They can only be as good as the OC is. If BA is STILL here, he will hold them and Big Ben back from progressing even more. Get rid of BA, and the sky is the limit...

Legend

User Info Menu

For this trio to be the best in the NFL, a lot of things need to happen. Wallace needs to work on his hands and on catching the ball with his hands. Sanders needs to stay healthy. And they will need an OC that puts them in a position to succeed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    For this trio to be the best in the NFL, a lot of things need to happen. Wallace needs to work on his hands and on catching the ball with his hands. Sanders needs to stay healthy. And they will need an OC that puts them in a position to succeed.

Rookie

User Info Menu

They were in position to succeed on Sunday. Sanders succeeded, Wallace did not.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers can get at the least- servicable blocking- how much different would the Offense be?

You could rely on the running game. Ben might have time to go through progressions..less negative plays...

Could Arians succeed if the OL just played 'good', not even so far as 'great'?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You said it chadman.

If the O-line could block more consistently, it affects everything. We have the run option available more often, setting up more 3 & shorts... opening up passing opportunities, etc. Shoring up the o-line affects all areas of the offense... and defense for that matter!
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Sanders can be the best of the 3. He just needs to get over his injury hump.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    They were in position to succeed on Sunday. Sanders succeeded, Wallace did not.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Id give my left thumb for half the amount of time Brees gets in the pocket
    BA's problem is he knows his O-line cant protect Ben but he continues to have receivers run 30 yard routes and calls 5 wr sets
    I mean he knows we cant run a screen because of the O-line, cant he apply that knowledge towards the length of the routes.