Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production.
    Possibly, but Wallace was targeted 113 times this year 13 more than 2010

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    does not consistently perform
    2 seasons, 2 1000 yrd returns for the year. Not consistant?

Ok, there was a drop-off as this season went on, but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production. Isn't it entirely possible that the 2 are related?
    OK, we can discuss whether or not he has been consistent, but do his numbers warrant top 5-10 WR $$? I would prefer to have Wallace, Brown, Sanders for many years, but I'm not sure it will be financially possible. I'd be OK with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery as our top 3 WR for the next few years if it means we can fill our other higher priority positions with elite talent, i.e. LG, ILB and NT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    does not consistently perform
    2 seasons, 2 1000 yrd returns for the year. Not consistant?

Ok, there was a drop-off as this season went on, but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production. Isn't it entirely possible that the 2 are related?
    OK, we can discuss whether or not he has been consistent, but do his numbers warrant top 5-10 WR $$? I would prefer to have Wallace, Brown, Sanders for many years, but I'm not sure it will be financially possible. I'd be OK with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery as our top 3 WR for the next few years if it means we can fill our other higher priority positions with elite talent, i.e. LG, ILB and NT.
    But Leb, while Brown, Sanders & Cotchery are all fine players in their own right, do they demand the double coverage, the deep coverage or even just the 'fear factor' that Wallace provides? More to the point- if Wallace leaves, how effective will these other guys be as they won't stretch the field & open up shorter routes the way Wallace does.

Individually no Steeler WR is 'complete'- but as a group, they are as dangerous & well complimented as they come. Losing wallace could severely limit the effectiveness of the others.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Bires: Wallace faded at the finish

Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012
    By Mike Bires [email="mbires@timesonline.com"]mbires@timesonline.com[/email]

PITTSBURGH -- In two weeks, Mike Wallace will bask in the warm Hawaiian sun. He'll be there basking in the glory of his selection as a Pro Bowl wide receiver.

Wallace, one of NFL's fastest players, made it to the all-star game based primarily on what he did during the first eight games of regular-season play. During that time, he was the most feared pass catcher in the AFC.

However, in the Steelers' last eight games and then in Sunday's wild-card loss in Denver, Wallace was not Pro Bowl material. His performance was disappointing.

For as much as he overachieved in September and October, he underachieved in November, December and January.

And as the Steelers head into the off-season feeling so sad about the way their Super Bowl hopes ended, certainly Wallace must shoulder his share of the blame.

No doubt Ike Taylor was the No. 1 goat in the 29-23 overtime loss to Tim Tebow and the Broncos. His failure to cover Demaryius Thomas was arguably the worst post-season performance in franchise history.

But a second-quarter pass Wallace dropped will go down as one of the most infamous bobbles ever by a Steeler.

After the Broncos went ahead 7-6, it appeared that the Steelers would strike back immediately. On the Steelers' next possession, Ben Roethlisberger threw a bomb to Wallace for a 52-yard gain.

It was the Steelers' way of saying "Take that Tebow!"

But Wallace didn't catch the ball cleanly. He juggled it, and as he hit the ground, a piece of the ball touched the turf. The Broncos used instant replay challenge to dispute the catch, and after reviewing the tape, the referee overturned the call.

Instead of having momentum and the ball on the Denver 28, the Steelers were back at their own 20.

Two plays later, the Steelers punted. A few plays after that, Tebow scored to make it 14-6.

But if Wallace would have caught that 52-yard pass cleanly and the Steelers would have gone ahead with either a field goal or touchdown, who knows what the final outcome would have been?

In that wild-card game, Roethlisberger targeted Wallace 10 times. But only three times did they connect for just 26 yards.

Certainly Wallace didn't elevate his game when the banged-up Steelers needed it most.
    Last year when Wallace ranked second in the NFL with a 21.0 yards-per-catch average, coach Mike Tomlin often referred to him as a one-trick pony. Wallace's forte was going deep. Few did it better.

This year, the Steelers wanted Wallace to develop into a better all-around receiver. They wanted improvement in running routs, reading defenses, catching the ball in traffic, breaking tackles after the catch, etc.

Early in the year, it looked like Wallace was progressing nicely in all areas. But down the homestretch, he showed that he still has a long way to go. In the second half of the season, he dropped way too many passes, some when he was wide open.
    Just like the drop Sunday in Denver.

Catches like that are supposed to be routine for all-star receivers.

During the off-season, Wallace must work harder than ever to improve on all facets of playing wide receiver. If he doesn't, his upcoming trip to Hawaii may be his last.

Mike Wallace's regular-season receptions and receiving yards

FIRST EIGHT GAMES

8 for 107
    8 for 126, 1 TD
    5 for 144, 1 TD
    4 for 77
    6 for 82, 1 TD
    2 for 76, 1 TD
    3 for 118, 1 TD
    7 for 70

TOTALS
    43 catches, 800 yards, 5 TDs

SECOND EIGHT GAMES

4 for 68, 1 TD
    6 for 54
    2 for 17
    3 for 38, 2 TDs
    4 for 57
    5 for 66
    4 for 82
    1 for 11

TOTALS
    29 catches, 393 yards, 3 TDs

[url="http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-wallace-faded-at-the-finish/article_8e7d1c56-3c17-11e1-b8b1-0019bb30f31a.html"]http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 0f31a.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Wallace: Steelers to place lofty tender on WR Wallace

The Steelers are expected to tender restricted free agent Mike Wallace at the first-round level if the sides can't agree to a long-term contract before free agency begins on March 13.
    If another team tried signing Wallace to an offer sheet after he was tendered at the first-round level, the Steelers would receive a first-round pick in return. (As good as Wallace is, few teams would be willing.) Wallace is almost certain to be back with Pittsburgh in 2012. In a perfect world, the Steelers would lock up the 25-year-old for the next four to five seasons.

[url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5329&line=2262 84&spln=1"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 284&spln=1[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

Wallace has the potential to be as good as he could ever envision himself to be, it's up to him in all reality.

Can and or will that process be hindered by being unfortunate enough to play with and for the type of QB as Roethlisberger and a coordinator such as Arians ? Certainly, but this could be viewed as a positive in the sense that if he could overcome as much it validates his effort and productivity all the more.

Bottom line, he (unlike like others that we've pampered) has at least earned a shot. And at the end of the day,..is that not all any of us really need ?
    1) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

2) Miles Burris, LB San Diego State

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

4) Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal

5) Blake Gideon, F/S, Texas

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Rookie

User Info Menu

In the 2nd half of the season, Wallace hindered himself by dropping several very catchable passes. He did it against Denver as well. That is neither on Roethlisberger nor Arians.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love Wallace's game! He is still young and developing as we speak. Yes, we all got frustrated looking at his production in the second half of the season, but could it be due to over/under thrown passes, drops, sacks, and penalties that destroyed the plays.

He is a very, very good receiver to have. He opens up the field, keeps DBs on their toes. Decent blocker as well.

I would be cool with having the money crew back, but was just thinking, what if we get more picks to solidify our OL. How much more EFFICIENTwould our offense be, rather than a gambling high rolling big play offense.

I am not saying going back to smash mouth run the ball down your throat offense, but I would love to have a great OL to open the running lanes for our big play backs (Mendy, Redman). How many big runs do you think they could of had if they were not touched in the back field or at the line of scrimmage every time.

Keeping big Ben health and standing will lead to a big play play every time, regardless who the WR is, look at Cedric Wilson. If we are starting the season with Brown, Cochtry, Sanders, Ward, Rookies/FA, I would say that WR core is solid, but not spectacular, as it could of been with Wallace.

Regardless what we do, Wallace is a great asset for this team. He is a key weapon to have going forward on offense, but also a key weapon of the future of the franchise by using him for draft picks to retool our squad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy
    Mike Wallace: Steelers to place lofty tender on WR Wallace

The Steelers are expected to tender restricted free agent Mike Wallace at the first-round level if the sides can't agree to a long-term contract before free agency begins on March 13.
    If another team tried signing Wallace to an offer sheet after he was tendered at the first-round level, the Steelers would receive a first-round pick in return. (As good as Wallace is, few teams would be willing.) Wallace is almost certain to be back with Pittsburgh in 2012. In a perfect world, the Steelers would lock up the 25-year-old for the next four to five seasons.

[url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5329&line=2262 84&spln=1"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 284&spln=1[/url]
    Not that lofty or unexpected. Paying Wallace in the $2-3M range for one season is a great deal whether you believe that he is on his way up or down.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Wallace has speed, but I don't see any effort from him. To many times this year he has dropped catchable balls, or refused to fight a defender for a ball. I say get rid of him, and keep Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Hines.