Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    I really like Wallace.... BUT

It would be mighty tempting getting a first AND a third for him if we tender at that level.
    I think that the only team that would be willing to sign Wallace to give up a 1st and a 3rd for a speed WR would be Oakland (I'm assuming of course, that Al Davis' kid is as enamored with pure speed as Al was) but they already used up their first round pick to get a QB who likes to deep throat sausages, so they are out of the running to tender him a big deal as an RFA.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    I really like Wallace.... BUT

It would be mighty tempting getting a first AND a third for him if we tender at that level.
    I think that the only team that would be willing to sign Wallace to give up a 1st and a 3rd for a speed WR would be Oakland (I'm assuming of course, that Al Davis' kid is as enamored with pure speed as Al was) but they already used up their first round pick to get a QB who likes to deep throat sausages, so they are out of the running to tender him a big deal as an RFA.
    I would take just a first for him.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If i am a GM i would not give Mike Wallace a big pay check.

Wallace had a horrible game against Broncos. Infact he had horrible 8-9 games this season. Success went to his head. Wallace was sulking because AB became MVP.He can't make plays for his QB. Unless Ben throws a money ball he ain't catching that ball.

If he wants boat load of money i would trade him for a 1st Rd pick. I will use that pick to draft Alshon Jefferey of USC. A big tall physical WR impossible to defend in the red zone.

Ben can chuck the ball in double-triple coverage to Alshon and he can pluck the ball from air for his QB which Wallace can never do.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.
    Didn't that 50-whatever yarder that he dropped, land right in his bread basket??

I don't dislike Wallace. Just not as good as we thought he'd be.

BTW, if Santonio (put aside your personal feelings about him) is on the field last year on the final drive against the Packers, instead of Wallace - do we win the game?? I believe we do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "rpmpit
    BTW, if Santonio (put aside your personal feelings about him) is on the field last year on the final drive against the Packers, instead of Wallace - do we win the game?? I believe we do.

I don't care what people say about Santonio..(I know he is a cancer in the locker room) but if he was on the field against GB i have no doubt Steelers would have won that game.

Now i was not in a favor to sign him but i would have let him complete his rookie contract and let him go instead of trading him for a 5th Rd player.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wallace is not worth a LARGE contract. Second Tier contract at $5 mil per year is about his value range. If we could get a first rounder for him, I would jump at it in a second.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I wouldn't pay him huge money.

Not every play can be a post, fly or a WR screen. He's just not dynamic enough.

I do want the Steelers to sign him though for the right price. I'm just having a hard time think of the right price.

He's NOT a top 5 WR so that type of price tag is completely out of the question. He's NOT a Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, C. Johnson, G. Jennings. I would even put AJ Green above Wallace. Holmes is more dynamic than Wallace. How about Crabtree on a run 1st team with an average (at best) QB like the 49ers? Is he better than Colston from New Orleans?

Wallace may be top 10.... MAYBE
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Wallace's value is that he threatens an opposing defense...

Yes, Brady won a lot of games this year...but, he did not have a weapon to threaten the Steelers D...

If Wallace had caught that long 50+ yard bomb, it would have frosted that Broncos pretty good...

Tender him at the highest level and franchise him next year if necessary...make him feel important and an integral part of the offense and he will produce...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it's me, I offer him the high tender, then I find religion and start praying that another team signs him.

He's a great player but the curve is going the wrong way. We are going to trim some fat and as an organization, I would be focusing on retooling for as many SB runs as possible before Ben retires. I'll take my chances with a 1st and a 3rd over a more-or-less one dimensional WR who doesn't fight for the ball and seems to be regressing.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

The question is flawed because Wallace is an RFA, not a UFA. He would not be franchised, he would be tendered. The question is how high do you tender him?

Prior to the new CBA, this was the RFA tender schedule for 2011 (I don't know if that has changed)

Veterans with 3 accrued seasons:

3.317M - 1st & 3rd round compensation*
    2.611M - 1st round compensation*
    1.835M - 2nd round compensation*
    1.200M - original round compensation*
    1.200M - right of first refusal

* or 110% of the previous year's pay (whichever is higher)

So assuming that this number is say 10% higher, now what are you willing to do with Wallace?

I would like to have him back for one more year to see if he can work through whatever affected him the second half of the season. At approx. $3.65M you pretty much tie him up for the year (1st and 3rd compensation if he gets signed away) and have one more look to see if he is going to be a $8-10M receiver for you.