Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arians, LeBeau wll Return Next Season

Legend

User Info Menu

Arians, LeBeau wll Return Next Season

Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Steelers could experience significant roster turnover this offseason.

There will be very little, if any, when it comes to Mike Tomlin's coaching staff.

Both offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will return in 2012.

The two were at Steelers' headquarters yesterday as various players went through exit meetings and interviews with their position coach, as well as Tomlin.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis said LeBeau had a simple message to the players that will take time off before returning to Pittsburgh to start training for the 2012 season.

"He just told us to come back ready to win a Super Bowl," Lewis said.

The Steelers finished first in the NFL this season in scoring defense (14.2 points allowed per game) and total defense (271.8 yards ppg). They were 12th in total offense (372.3 yards per game) and tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 yards per game).

The Steelers had to weather significant injuries on both sides of the ball.

Wilson has surgery

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Friday in a house fire, underwent surgery Monday.

"He's strong enough to go through surgery, so that's always a good thing," Steelers running back Isaac Redman said.

Redman visited Wilson and his family Tuesday at UPMC Mercy Hospital. Wilson has been hospitalized since suffering significant burns on his arms and legs early Friday.

Wilson, who recently completed his fifth year on Tomlin's staff, was injured late last week when a fire started in the kitchen of his Seven Fields townhouse.

Starks 'devastated' by injury

Max Starks sustained a right knee injury last Sunday in Denver, and it sounds as if the mammoth left tackle tore his ACL.

"I know he is devastated going into a free-agency year," guard Trai Essex said of Starks, who turned 30 on Tuesday. "It's unfortunate that he had this happen to him, but I know he will bounce back. He is a warrior."

Starks, an eight-year veteran, will be an unrestricted free agent in March.

He started the Steelers' final 13 games at left tackle after re-signing with the team in early October. The Steelers released Starks in July because of concerns over the salary cap and Starks' weight.

Gay hopes to return

Cornerback William Gay, who won the starting job opposite Ike Taylor early in the season, said the fifth-year veteran hopes to return to the Steelers next season.

Gay, one of the Steelers' most improved players this season, will be an unrestricted free agent at the start of the NFL's new year in March.

"I don't know what Coach Tomlin will do," Gay said, "but I do want to be here."

Gay finished fifth on the Steelers with 61 tackles. He tied for the team lead in interceptions with two.

Brown Q&A

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown will be part of a free online town hall meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday on Concert-oh.com.

Brown will participate in a live question-and-answer session online via web cam. Fans can register for free online at the website.

Brown caught 69 passes for 1,108 yards this season. He will play in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month in Hawaii.

Read more: Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [url="http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_776008.html#ixzz1j9NIpASB"]http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburght ... z1j9NIpASB[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Arians, LeBeau wll Return Next Season

If this is true, it's ridiculous! I'm sick to my fuggin stomach!! What the hell does Mike Tomlin see in Bruce Arians that he keeps letting this guy hang around in spite of constant offensive mediocrity and ineptitude, even though the Steelers have a ton of offensive weapons? 22nd in scoring? Really? The Dolphins, Jets, Vikings and Bengals all scored more than the Steelers, and the latter two had rookie QBs, and Vikes have no WRs, the Jets have Mark Sanchez and the Dolphins have some no-name guy playing QB. The Steelers have elite weapons and a franchise QB.

I've said it before, if Wes Saunders played in NE, NO, GB, SD, he would've been a monster this year. If Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, JerMicheal Finley played in Pittsburgh, nobody would know who they are, because they'd be blocking FBs, with maybe 2 targets a game at TE position if they're lucky.

Why won't somebody please do us all a favor and make the decision for Tomlin, and offer Arians a HC job? PLEASE??!!!! A bunch of other OCs are being interviewed and hired all over, including the Brian Schottenheimer, who Jets fans kill more that we do Arians. Mike Mularkey just got hired in Jax. Some guys are being offered college gigs. Josh McDaniels literally lasted all of about 10 minutes on the market and was snatched up quick. If Bruce were to be let go, he would be on the market 10 yrs. and still be waiting for a call.

Phil Simms expressed during the game, how shocked he was that Arians is not being considered for any HC positions. That's not shocking Phil, not if you pay attention to the games. The real shock would be if anybody even called to inquire about his availabilty. And after all this time, OC of 2 SB teams, 1 SB winning team and team that has gone 12-4, 3 of the last 4 yrs. Yet, nobody has called. That's says an awful lot about what football people, college and pro, think about Bruce Arians.

AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockon

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Oh Crap.

Ugh.

GRRRRRRRRR....

<signh>
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would imagine that he saw a hobbled QB who suffered a significant injury because he held on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away (not Arians' fault), an offensive line that suffered significant injuries (not Arians' fault) and a #1 WR who petered out the last third of the season and dropped a potentially game changing bomb in the playoff game (again, not Arians' fault).

Do I think Arians' is God's gift to coordinators? No.

Do I blame Mike Tomlin for keeping an OC that has coordinated this team to four playoff berths and two Super Bowls in the last five seasons? No.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm going to make a prediction: The Steelers will NOT win the Super Bowl next season.

I don't see how this team will improve with those two coordinators still at the helm.

Maybe, in the long run, it would have been better if this team had not pulled out those close games vs. the likes of Indy, KC, Cleveland, etc. If we'd missed the playoffs, the Rooneys might have insisted that Tomlin kick some butt or hit the road. I think it's obvious that, in spite of what he says, Mike is all too comfortable with the status quo.

Hope I'm wrong.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    I'm going to make a prediction: The Steelers will NOT win the Super Bowl next season.

I don't see how this team will improve with those two coordinators still at the helm.

Maybe, in the long run, it would have been better if this team had not pulled out those close games vs. the likes of Indy, KC, Cleveland, etc. If we'd missed the playoffs, the Rooneys might have insisted that Tomlin kick some butt or hit the road. I think it's obvious that, in spite of what he says, Mike is all too comfortable with the status quo.

Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I would imagine that he saw a hobbled QB who suffered a significant injury because he held on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away (not Arians' fault), an offensive line that suffered significant injuries (not Arians' fault) and a #1 WR who petered out the last third of the season and dropped a potentially game changing bomb in the playoff game (again, not Arians' fault).

Do I think Arians' is God's gift to coordinators? No.

Do I blame Mike Tomlin for keeping an OC that has coordinated this team to four playoff berths and two Super Bowls in the last five seasons? No.

Brother Please! Logic?

No!

Fire Arians! Where's the angry mob?

The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Present!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

Present!
    I'm pretty sure I could be counted as an angry mob all by myself. I'm that disgusted.

Rockon

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

That's a bold prediciton...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"