T Max Starks
    OL Trai Essex
    T Jamon Meredith
    NT Chris Hoke
    CB William Gay
    CB Anthony Madison
    P Dan Sepulveda
    P Jeremy Kapinos

An unrestricted free agent is a player who has completed four or more accrued seasons of service and whose contract has expired. He's free to negotiate with any team.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

WR Mike Wallace
    TE/FB David Johnson
    C/G Doug Legursky
    G Ramon Foster
    CB Keenan Lewis
    S Ryan Mundy

A restricted free agent has three seasons of service and receives a "qualifying" offer from his current team. He can negotiate with any other team. But if the restricted free agent accepts an offer from a new team, his old team has a "right of first refusal" where it can match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it receives one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

RB Isaac Redman
    NT Steve McLendon

An exclusive rights free agent is a player who is not under contract but only has two years of service. If his current team makes him an offer at the three-year minimum NFL salary, he must take it or leave the NFL.

[url="http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-free-agents-for/article_8b214036-3b87-11e1-b0a7-0019bb30f31a.html"]http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 0f31a.html[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers' free agents for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel
    Beaver County Times
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Steelers' free agents for 2012
    olny these look attractive, the rest can go

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

QB Byron Leftwich
    QB Charlie Batch
    QB Dennis Dixon
    RB Mewelde Moore-----not so sure
    WR Jerricho Cotchery
    T Max Starks
    OL Trai Essex
    T Jamon Meredith
    NT Chris Hoke
    CB William Gay
    CB Anthony Madison
    P Dan Sepulveda
    P Jeremy Kapinos-----or a better punter

An unrestricted free agent is a player who has completed four or more accrued seasons of service and whose contract has expired. He's free to negotiate with any team

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

WR Mike Wallace
    TE/FB David Johnson
    C/G Doug Legursky
    G Ramon Foster
    CB Keenan Lewis

S Ryan Mundy

A restricted free agent has three seasons of service and receives a "qualifying" offer from his current team. He can negotiate with any other team. But if the restricted free agent accepts an offer from a new team, his old team has a "right of first refusal" where it can match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it receives one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club.

RB Isaac Redman
    NT Steve McLendon

An exclusive rights free agent is a player who is not under contract but only has two years of service. If his current team makes him an offer at the three-year minimum NFL salary, he must take it or leave the NFL.

I wonder if we tender wallace a 1st round and a team in the 15-20s range in the draft tries the sign him would you be cool letting him go? In that slot draft guard Decastro (spelling). And still have a chance STILL DRAFT A QUALITY PLAYER AT OUR POSITION. (kuntz, Hightower,OT, NT,S,Wr, Rb)

Would there be much of a drop off on O with Sanders, Brown, Cotchry, Ward, FA, rookie and healthy and revamped OL combo of Gilbert-Dec-Pouncey-LEG/Foster-Colon or Starks at Lt

[url="http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-free-agents-for/article_8b214036-3b87-11e1-b0a7-0019bb30f31a.html"]http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 0f31a.html[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This list is not bad at all.

Resign Starks (he should be cheap coming off an ACL). Cotchery would be nice to retain if he is very reasonable. Gay would also have to be very reasonable. The rest can go.

Resign all RFAs with exception of David Johnson.

Resign ERFAs. Maybe give Redman a 3 year, 3.5 million dollar deal. It would be a good deal for him and us.

We will have to cut some high priced vets to get under the Cap, but it is a pretty easy start with Kemo, McFadden, Ward, Farrior, Hampton (especially now that he is injured), etc.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It won't be a pretty offseason and we will all see the business side of the Steelers show it's ugly face. Brace yourself Steeler Nation.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

QB Byron Leftwich - Resign
    QB Charlie Batch - No
    QB Dennis Dixon - No
    RB Mewelde Moore - No
    WR Jerricho Cotchery - Resign
    T Max Starks - No (If he needs surgery he will not be 100% so he will be unsigned until healthy.)
    OL Trai Essex - No
    T Jamon Meredith - Resign for depth
    NT Chris Hoke - Retire
    CB William Gay - Resign
    CB Anthony Madison - No
    P Dan Sepulveda - No
    P Jeremy Kapinos - Resign

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

WR Mike Wallace - Highest tender & lock up long term.
    TE/FB David Johnson - Resign
    C/G Doug Legursky - Resign
    G Ramon Foster - Resign
    CB Keenan Lewis - Resign
    S Ryan Mundy - Resign

RB Isaac Redman - Resign
    NT Steve McLendon - Resign

***PLUS****
    Ward - Retire/Restructure or Cut (I don't think it is possible to restructure without creating dead money past this year. I would be all for if he wants to come back at vet min. I Love Ward but this will turn into the same thing when the extended him. He will make the Steelers look like the bad guys and say he will take a pay cut to stay but the business side of the Steelers really make that an impossible task. He wants to play...But he can't play at the level he wants to get paid at. I hope he walks away and allows the Nation to remember him for what he truely is...A Steeler for life. If there is a way to get him in for 2012 around the vet min number without cutting him & creating additional dead money...I'm ok with it.)

Smith - Retire

Farrior - Retire/Restructure or Cut (I believe he has 2 years remaining and cutting him or retiring would cost the Steelers 2 mil of dead money but at least it would be a savings in 2012 versus the 3.8 mil he would cost against the cap. Foote is being paid as a starter now so let him play until the rookie ILB takes his spot. If there is a way to get him in for 2012 around the vet min number without cutting him & creating additional dead money...I'm ok with it. He is a reserve at this point.)

McFadden - Cut

Kemo - Restructure or Cut

Hampton - Restructure (More than likely he will start on PUP. His number needs to come down if he isn't on the field. His injury is bad timing and this could turn ugly.)

Miller- Restructure & Extend

Battle - Cut

W Allen - Cut

Legend

User Info Menu

Would there be much of a drop off on O with Sanders, Brown, Cotchry, Ward, FA, rookie and healthy and revamped OL combo of Gilbert-Dec-Pouncey-LEG/Foster-Colon or Starks at Lt .

In a word- yes. Wallace takes the top of the DB coverage & opens up areas of the field for Brown, sanders & Miller. Without Wallace, the Steelers are not as dangerous. The Steelers NEED Wallace.

All the FA's that are not UFA's will be tendered you'd think- and likely stay.

1 of the 3 QB's will be brought back. Here's betting it's Leftwich. And that's a good thing- not many teams have a guy of his quality in reserve.

1 of the 2 punters will return, just not sure which yet. Both have holes in their game.

Not convinced we'll see Starks return. Doubt Meredith will be back. Essex? Maybe. But Colon & Scott come back from IR next season...

If Baron Batch or Jonathon Dwyer look anything close to ok, Mewelde has probably played his last game in Pittsburgh.

Cotchery? Maybe. Do the Steelers 'need' HIM? Or can they find someone who will do the same job, cheaper? What he asks for will be the decider.

Could lose Gay if the coaches feel Lewis, Allen or Brown can fill the CB spot..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Have Some Decisions to Make

Posted on January 13, 2012 by ryan

On Thursday, Ed Bouchette listed the 11 players who could possibly become free agents in the near future:

The unrestricted free agents are: Charlie Batch, Jerricho Cotchery, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, William Gay, Chris Hoke, Byron Leftwich, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks.

The restricted free agents are: Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Keenan Lewis, Jamon Meredith, Ryan Mundy and Mike Wallace.

Here’s my first pass (I’m not considering any salary-cap implications, just the players I’d like to see back in Pittsburgh, from most likely to least likely):

Unrestricted free agents:

1. Max Starks. I know the coaches don’t like him because he’s chubby but the o-line went from F- to C the moment he stepped on the field. That unit should strive for mediocrity and Starks provides that.

2. William Gay. Hard to imagine that the secondary now has plenty of depth. I think Gay is most valuable as a nickel back, and if Keenan Lewis or one of the other young guys can win the No. 2 job, Gay will have an important role as the No. 3 defensive back.

3. Jerricho Cotchery. He’s the new Hines Ward. Not nearly the blocker, but clearly became a favorite of Ben down the stretch.

4. Chris Hoke. (Assuming he has anything left in the tank and doesn’t retire.) Pittsburgh could be without Aaron Smith and/or Casey Hampton depending on perceived value/cap hit.

5. Trai Essex. He’s a body who can play the interior line positions and, god forbid, left tackle.

6. Byron Leftwich. Seems happy to be a backup and Chaz might finally retire, right? I’m speculating about Batch’s future, and honestly, I’m indifferent to whether he or Byron serves as Ben’s No. 2. Guessing Dennis Dixon will want a chance to play elsewhere, but the Steelers will have to think about getting younger at the position.

7. Charlie Batch. Interchangeable with Byron.

8. Mewelde Moore. He was a great free-agent acquisition a few years ago but his career has probably run its course with Rashard, Isaac, Dwyer, Batch and Clay all on the roster.

9. Daniel Sepulveda. Love this guy but he can’t stay healthy. Kapinos can and I don’t really see the difference between the two.

10. Dennis Dixon. Guessing he’s gone.

11. Anthony Madison. Have to assume he’s an extreme longshot to make the squad out of training camp.

Restricted free agents:

1. Mike Wallace. I admit to being angry enough at him during the Broncos game that I thought he should’ve been benched, but Wallace is one of the league’s best receivers. He just has to be more consistent. That said… if the Steelers sign him to a first-round tender, I might be willing to let him walk for the first-round compensation.

2. Keenan Lewis. Dude could be starting in 2012.

3. Doug Legursky. Like Essex, Dougie can play every interior line position. The difference: he’s pretty good.

4. Ryan Mundy. I like Mundy and think he does well when he’s out there. He forced two fumbles against the Broncos, although he was also out of position when Ike Taylor got burned one last time in Denver.

5. Ramon Foster. Another warm body who got better over the course of the season. He’s not great, but he’s average which again is what the Steelers o-line should aspire too.

6. David Johnson. He should probably be higher for his H-backin’ abilities. That said, he dropped his share of passes in 2011 and I’d like to see Weslye Saunder get more snaps next season.

7 . Jamon Meredith. Never got to see him play. Assuming he’s on the roster for “Oh god, we have no one left” situations.

Alright, folks, have at it.

[url="http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/steelers-decisions-free-agency/#more-6674"]http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/s ... #more-6674[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yikes its going to be a very different offseason then most that is for sure. who would of thought the majority on this board would want to re-sign william gay? what an improvement he showed this season. i will be very happy when the steelers dont sign david johnson. he is easily the worst player at any position on the team

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Kapinos is an Exclusive Rights guy --- has he accrued 2 years with another team? I thought he was an undrafted rookie last year. He should be in the same boat as Redman & McClendon. Lose Sepulvda & keep Kapinos at vet minimum, he can't negotiate anything higher.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Which Free Agents Stay, Go

THURSDAY, 12 JANUARY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Here is the Steelers list of free agents of various kinds. Who do you sign, who do you try to sign, who do you let go into free agency and maybe sign later, who do you ignore completely? There will be others not kept who are not on this list.

My ideas on what might happen to each:

UFA:

Charlie Batch -- With Byron Leftwich No. 2, he'll either be No. 3 at minimum wage or they'll find a younger No. 3.

Jerricho Cotchery -- Steelers want him, but no more than No. 4 so he will sign elsewhere.

Dennis Dixon -- He will leave

Trai Essex -- He will leave

William Gay -- He will leave

Chris Hoke -- He will retire

Byron Leftwich -- He will re-sign as No. 2.

Anthony Madison -- Ignore

Mewelde Moore -- Ignore

Daniel Sepulveda -- Let him go through free agency, maybe sign him in summe.

Max Starks -- ACL injury hurts his cause; may return.

RFA:

Ramon Foster -- Tender

David Johnson -- Tender

Doug Legursky -- Tender

Keenan Lewis -- Tender or sign to 3-year deal.

Jamon Meredith -- Ignore

Ryan Mundy -- Tender

Mike Wallace -- Tender

Exclusive Rights:

Jeremy Kapinos -- Tender

Steve McLendon -- Tender

Isaac Redman -- Tender

[url="http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114369-ed-which-free-agents-stay-go"]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ts-stay-go[/url]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Wonder how Barron Batch's rehab is going? He showed some promise and could be the new Moore, only cheaper.

What's the odds on Hampton going over 400 pounds if he can't exercise for the next 4 to 6 months? 75%?