Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should We Draft All SEC Players?

Legend

User Info Menu

Should We Draft All SEC Players?

The SEC has become so dominant lately. It's like that's where the men play and the little boys are in all the other conferences.

Just makes me think, it'd be hard to go wrong just drafting purely SEC guys.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Should We Draft All SEC Players?

I don't think we should draft only SEC talent but you can't debate the SEC's success. There are still great players at other conferences but just not as many as the SEC.

SEC has size and speed. That's the biggest difference. Oregon can match the SEC's speed but they don't have the size. SEC has both.

I think we should draft BPA Florida Gator o-line (hopefully a guard). We could soon have an all-gator line. Starks (gator), Pouncey (gator), Gilbert (gator). Oddly enough, these are our 3 best lineman too.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sure, we got Pouncey, Gilbert, Starks, Wallace, Hines, etc. from the SEC.

But we also got Troy from the Pac 10. Ben and Harrison and Antonio and Leftwich and Batch from the MAC. Woodley and Mendenhall and Foote from the Big 10. Heath and Farrior and Timmons from the ACC. Casey from the Big 12. Keisel from the Mountain West. Smitty from the Big Sky. Ike from the Sun Belt.

Talent comes from everywhere. Our scouts will find it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

When we play another subzero playoff game I don't like the idea of most of the team being from the south. We need and have some Wisconson/Michigan etc. as they have grown up to play in such conditions. I like knowing that the team has guys with hands that can be trusted in the cold.

I hypothesize that the reason the SEC/Texas has been doing so well recently is because the younger players would rather play in warmer winning environments over playing in cold winning environments. I don't know how i feel about players taking the more comfortable way out....may say something about those players.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Just because they play for the SEC doesn't mean they are from the south.... although thtat's mostly true.

Vice-versa, let's say someone plays for Central Michigan (i.e. Antonio Brown). That doesn't mean he's from the north and accustomed to the cold. Brown was born and raised in Miami, FL.

Legend

User Info Menu

On D? Yes... at RB? Sure....

However, after last night I'm not sure if LSU will ever have an offensive player drafted again. LOL..

That was a disgusting display of offense by LSU. Did Jamarcus go back to LSU for one more year?
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    On D? Yes... at RB? Sure....

However, after last night I'm not sure if LSU will ever have an offensive player drafted again. LOL..

That was a disgusting display of offense by LSU. Did Jamarcus go back to LSU for one more year?
    I think that has a lot to do with Les Miles. He had a guy who could throw the ball on the sideline with Jarrett Lee (14 Td's 3 INT's and a 62.3% completion percentage). He did the same thing with Matt Flynn. And as we see with the Packers, Matt Flynn can throw the football. There are going be a lot of NFL teams trying to get him this off-season.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I get that good players come from everywhere. But the SEC is becoming really dominant compared to the other conferences. And it seems like the odds of picking a guy who's good enough to play in the NFL is higher when you draft a player from the SEC given the level of competition.

Has anyone ever compared the success rates of guys making the NFL from different conferences? Are there certain conferences where their draft picks pan out more than others?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No.. but i would not mind Alshon Jefferey from South Carolina in the 1st Rd.

Steelers Red Zone woes would reduce by half.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    I get that good players come from everywhere. But the SEC is becoming really dominant compared to the other conferences. And it seems like the odds of picking a guy who's good enough to play in the NFL is higher when you draft a player from the SEC given the level of competition.

Has anyone ever compared the success rates of guys making the NFL from different conferences? Are there certain conferences where their draft picks pan out more than others?
    SEC has most starters in the NFL. And yes, I would say that statistically your probably more likely to draft a player that is "good" enough to play in the NFL if you choose players from the SEC.

Because your right, the level of competetition cannot be disputed.