Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tebow couldn't hold Kordells jock strap

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Tebow couldn't hold Kordells jock strap

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I would have taken Tebow as a QB and Kordell as a WR. Kordell had unbelievable hands and I believe he could have been a multi-year pro bowler at the WR position.

He was too stubborn and stupid to aknowledge that because he wanted to be a QB instead.
    Just curious how you know Kordell had "unbelievable hands".
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I would have taken Tebow as a QB and Kordell as a WR. Kordell had unbelievable hands and I believe he could have been a multi-year pro bowler at the WR position.

He was too stubborn and stupid to aknowledge that because he wanted to be a QB instead.

Not sure about Tebow as a QB, but I agree on Kordell. He could have been an outstanding WR. He was the complete package -- good size, great speed, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Kordell's break out season was pretty damn good.... if we catered to Kordell's strengths he would've been a good QB.

Kordell was a much better passer than Tebow... and that's not saying much because outside of the deep sideline wobble pass I haven't seen Tebow come anywhere close to a WR.
    Kordell was a pretty terrible passer. He had a strong arm, but he bounced passes in front of wide receivers routinely.

He also had terrible decision making skills.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

Kordell was a pretty terrible passer. He had a strong arm, but he bounced passes in front of wide receivers routinely.

You mean like wanting to be a QB instead of a WR?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

You mean like wanting to be a QB instead of a WR?
    I dont get the hate at Kordell for wanting to be a QB.

If Cowher doesnt think he is the best option on the team, and he is a career backup I see your point. If Kordell is the best option (and he was at that time) Coach makes that call.

If someone will play you and "pay" you as a starting QB, you have to be an idiot to say "no coach I'd rather make a fourth the money and be turned into a receiver".

ARE would have NEVER played receiver, if he was given a choice to be QB. Nobody "chooses" receiver as long as he has the chance to be a starting QB.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't get the hate for Kordell. He was one of the most electric and versatile players in NFL history and as a quarterback, he never enjoyed a modicum of consistency around him.

Despite only five full seasons as a starter, he has the second most rushing TD's for a quarterback in league history and the 7th most rushing yards. As a receiver, he averaged 16 yards per reception. In 2004, he was named special teams player of the week...as a punter.

In those 5 seasons he started, Kordell had 4 different offensive coordinators. Under the 2 that were worth a crap, Stewart made the pro bowl and our team made the AFC Championship game (1997 under Chan Gailey and 2001 under Mike Mularkey).

He lost Yancey Thigpen, then lost most of his starting offensive line after his first AFCCG. He was then saddled with Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride as his OC...neither of which had a clue as to how to best use his talents. Sherman didn't have a clue period.

Tebow has nothing on Kordell as a runner or a passer. As a leader however, Kordell cannot come close to what Tebow has...few human beings can.

In the end, I guess all that is good for is 9 for 26 for 136 yards and a 45-10 woodshed ass-whoopin' in the divisional round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tebow isn't "special"

He is a great football player and a below average QB.

people talk about this guy like he walks on water. He isn't the first half decent QB to win a playoff game or make our D look azzz.

Everything is over the top with this guy... when he wins he is the best thing ever... when he loses he is the worst thing on the planet.

I get it, he is great for business but geeez... the kid is basically a Mark Sanchez with some muscles and Jesus juice..

Lady Gaga tweeting about Tebow? The whole CBS crew doing the Tebow after the game? It's too much. I know it's ushering in a new group of fans but I can't take the "finally a guy I can cheer for" nonsense.

In 5 years they will tear him down once he reaches his apex and there isn't anymore to milk from the religious angle.

I'm still mad.
    It won't take 5 years for this to happen, IMO. Tim Tebow will probably be a back up quarterback in 2 years. I hope the Broncos believe he is the long term answer at quarterback and keep him as starter for the next 10 years. We watched his apex in the wildcard round versus the Steelers.

He will quarterback his team to some wins with sheer will and determination against lesser football teams, but he will not be able to consistently win football games with his style.

Think about this, guys like the Ben, the Mannings, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ryan, even Flacco have played pro style offenses since they were in high school. Tebow had to learn how to get under center and take a snap as a rookie, something that was second nature to every other quarterback. By the time he catches up for lost time and has the skills of a rookie or second year player he'll 28 or 29 years old.

Too much time lost playing in the spread or veer or whatever the hell that offense was in Florida.

Solid backup for somebody by the beginning of the 2013 season is my uneducated guess.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    I don't get the hate for Kordell. He was one of the most electric and versatile players in NFL history and as a quarterback, he never enjoyed a modicum of consistency around him.

Despite only five full seasons as a starter, he has the second most rushing TD's for a quarterback in league history and the 7th most rushing yards. As a receiver, he averaged 16 yards per reception. In 2004, he was named special teams player of the week...as a punter.

In those 5 seasons he started, Kordell had 4 different offensive coordinators. Under the 2 that were worth a crap, Stewart made the pro bowl and our team made the AFC Championship game (1997 under Chan Gailey and 2001 under Mike Mularkey).

He lost Yancey Thigpen, then lost most of his starting offensive line after his first AFCCG. He was then saddled with Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride as his OC...neither of which had a clue as to how to best use his talents. Sherman didn't have a clue period.

Tebow has nothing on Kordell as a runner or a passer. As a leader however, Kordell cannot come close to what Tebow has...few human beings can.

In the end, I guess all that is good for is 9 for 26 for 136 yards and a 45-10 woodshed ass-whoopin' in the divisional round.

Great post. The reason for this thread was an attempt to clean this board and to an extent steelernation of the filth known as tebowmania. Tebow is a horrible QB that is being graded on a curve never before seen in pro football. By bringing up Kordell, a guy most undercover Tebow lovers would hate, by nature, I was trying to show them how silly and inconsistant their love for the worst starting QB in NFL history really is. I am not judging Kordell on his own merit, this is strictly a comparison to some peoples hero (im laughing as I type), Tebow. In the areas of passing and running, Kordell was clearly better, to anyone who was hugged by their dad and is in no need of a fake hero. And did you hear the anger at Kordell for wanting to be a QB and not a word about Tebow wanting to be a QB. That bum will never sniff the AFCCG. He may never see the playoffs again as a starter. Kansas City and San diego will be ready next time. Well I guess he did just sniff it, but you know what I mean.

I guess the silver lining in our horrible loss to this fraud is that we will be able to watch this guy go down slow. The broncos are about to make a bad mistake and build their entire team around hiding the deficiencies of Tebow. This just because he's a great marketing tool for millions of Americans who think he's a great guy cause he doesn't have tats or some other ridiculously arbitrary and childish reason. (I hate tats). Now they have an nfl player that they can relate to and with all his fained wholesomeness and piety. Give me a break. And I guess I shouldn't blame tebow when in fact my awe is really pionted at people who think this guy is any good, actually for non football related reasons. He sucks. And please stop with the intangibles of leadership and determination. This guy is above human kiind in leadership ability, seriously. Gotta get out more. I refuse to drink the kool aid. As for his decision making, cmon, the system that he runs has been simplified more so than any other system. His coaches are very good and he doesn't have to think much in his system.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Tebow isn't "special"

He is a great football player and a below average QB.

people talk about this guy like he walks on water. He isn't the first half decent QB to win a playoff game or make our D look azzz.

Everything is over the top with this guy... when he wins he is the best thing ever... when he loses he is the worst thing on the planet.

I get it, he is great for business but geeez... the kid is basically a Mark Sanchez with some muscles and Jesus juice..

Lady Gaga tweeting about Tebow? The whole CBS crew doing the Tebow after the game? It's too much. I know it's ushering in a new group of fans but I can't take the "finally a guy I can cheer for" nonsense.

In 5 years they will tear him down once he reaches his apex and there isn't anymore to milk from the religious angle.

I'm still mad.
    It won't take 5 years for this to happen, IMO. Tim Tebow will probably be a back up quarterback in 2 years. I hope the Broncos believe he is the long term answer at quarterback and keep him as starter for the next 10 years. We watched his apex in the wildcard round versus the Steelers.

He will quarterback his team to some wins with sheer will and determination against lesser football teams, but he will not be able to consistently win football games with his style.

Think about this, guys like the Ben, the Mannings, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ryan, even Flacco have played pro style offenses since they were in high school. Tebow had to learn how to get under center and take a snap as a rookie, something that was second nature to every other quarterback. By the time he catches up for lost time and has the skills of a rookie or second year player he'll 28 or 29 years old.

Too much time lost playing in the spread or veer or whatever the hell that offense was in Florida.

Solid backup for somebody by the beginning of the 2013 season is my uneducated guess.

Pappy
    You are probably right about the time line but also realize I'm not talking about Tebow's skill reaching an apex. Just the hype.

I don't think Tebow is going to get any better at QB. You can't change your throwing motion before the NFL draft.... you can't become a QB once you get to the NFL. You either have it or you don't and Tebow has a hard time throwing a spiral.

Tebow is a good football player but he will NEVER be a good QB. If you sell out on the run like we did he can burn you but if you play him straight up I think he is pedestrian at best.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel

Very nice post. I too agree that Kordell gets a very bad rap from Steeler Nation. The worst time for him was with Gilbride. He installed an offense which had QB and receivers reading what they saw, and adjusting their patterns based on that. Unfortunately, at the time, the primary receivers were Troy Edwards (1999), Plax (2000), and Ward (199. They were expected to read and react like they were all vets, when they were all far too inexperienced to play in his offense.