Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Watch our future ILB, Dont'a Hightower (Alabama)

Hall of Famer

Re: Watch our future ILB, Dont'a Hightower (Alabama)

Unless Hightower has the ability to really get to the QB at his size, he'd be a luxury pick who is probably not worth taking at that pick (i.e. other players worth taking). Naturally, the guy would be a thumper in the run game. But so many teams go spread. What's his role in that situation?

If he becomes the dominant middle run stuffer as his size would suggest, why would teams even try to run it, in this era where everything favors passing? They'd spread the field, and either: a) walk him off the field, or b) make him cover.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Re: Watch our future ILB, Dont'a Hightower (Alabama)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Unless Hightower has the ability to really get to the QB at his size, he'd be a luxury pick who is probably not worth taking at that pick (i.e. other players worth taking). Naturally, the guy would be a thumper in the run game. But so many teams go spread. What's his role in that situation?

If he becomes the dominant middle run stuffer as his size would suggest, why would teams even try to run it, in this era where everything favors passing? They'd spread the field, and either: a) walk him off the field, or b) make him cover.
    When I first came up with my initial Steelers mock draft I was thinking/hoping that the Steelers would be drafting like #32 and thought that would be a great value pick for someone like Hightower. But I will tell you, at 24 I really dont think it would be a bad pick for the Steelers. I think Hightower, like Lavon Kirkland, would improve over time in pass defense as well as his lateral movement. And I believe that no matter where he is picked, you are getting a solid player for the next 10 years. A lot of people dont know but Nick Saben's 3-4 is also a very complex scheme. To get a proven 3-4 commodity like Hightower who has played in a similar scheme can only be a good thing. Even if he is picked at 24.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma