Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch our future ILB, Dont'a Hightower (Alabama)

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Watch our future ILB, Dont'a Hightower (Alabama)

How does Hightower compare to another Bama LB of recent vintage, Rolando McClain?

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    How does Hightower compare to another Bama LB of recent vintage, Rolando McClain?
    From watching the game Monday, I have a "range" issue with Hightower. He would be ok if he had Kuechly's instincts but I think he will fall some because of it. I think both Hightower & Chapman have benefitted from that "team" defense. Not taking anything away from them. Just not sure they would have been as successful or noticed if that talent wasn't on the field with them. I feel Kirkpatrick, Upshaw, and Barron have clear physical gifts & abilities and they will be 1st rounders.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast

In my opinion, Timmons was a liability in the Denver game. Kudos to their staff for gameplanning. Timmons was being pushed all over the field on those run plays.
    I didn't think our run D was that bad... I think all of our LB's looked bad in that game. The spread option had them on their heels all game.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast

In my opinion, Timmons was a liability in the Denver game. Kudos to their staff for gameplanning. Timmons was being pushed all over the field on those run plays.
    I didn't think our run D was that bad... I think all of our LB's looked bad in that game. The spread option had them on their heels all game.
    What bothered me is we had to put 8 & 9 in the box and go cover 0 behind it with shadows on Tebow. Was that because of Tebow's abilities or lack of ours? I know the answer and because of it we let Tebow throw his receivers open 1 on 1 with defenders back to Tebow or trailing with no help. Compensating for it made Taylor Island the size of Canada. When an OL can't combination block a NT to get to the ILB because the C needs a double team that puts the defense in a +2 with a S in the box. Now let me explain that. That +2 means there are two guys unaccounted for in the blocking scheme. The S and (1)ILB should be running free. When you have an option QB or wildcat in that same scenario the defense is +1. Meaning there is only one guy left unaccounted which usually is the S in the box. That is why the wildcat option can be effective against certain defenses because it could be a missed tackle or bad angle away from a big play. But it isn't an exact science and guys come free to help...But you don't game plan for it & hope it happens that way. When it is a QB who can run you have to account for him to run in the passing game by leaving LB(s) or S(s) in a shallow zone incase he breaks contain. That NT I mentioned above would be Hampton in his prime. Not 2012 Hampton or McClendon. The Broncos OL could combination, cut, or even single block the duo. Add in the fact that Farrior lost a step and struggles to make plays with lineman up on him gives you the gameplan we saw. 8 & 9 in the box with cover 0 behind it. If read pass...S bail with LB & S shadow. No blitz...Cover zero...Let Tebow just bounce around until someone gets to green. Dixon could have put up those numbers throwing against us. Why that plan? Because the Steelers no longer have the personnel to create +1 without a safety in the box. Why? Because our NT isn't who he used to be and Farrior can't recover anymore coming off blocks.

Legend

but Tebow isn't fast... it's not like Tebow is going to run 80 yards on us in one play. If anything he would get 5 to 6 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    From watching the game Monday, I have a "range" issue with Hightower.

1) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

2) Miles Burris, LB San Diego State

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

4) Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal

5) Blake Gideon, F/S, Texas

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Really? What do you think Farrior's "range" is?

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1

Potsie's range in his prime was very near an elite level for a backer. And yet he was still very stout against the run. So he's done now,..time catches up with all of us,...it happens.

I like Hightower,...but i have to say i am concerned about him entering the league at his current weight. Don't get me wrong,... i loved Kirk inside,.. but how long can a backer be productive at the weight of a small lineman ? ( Which is what Hightower will be after three to four seasons)
    1) Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

2) Miles Burris, LB San Diego State

3) Jordan White, WR, WMU

4) Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal

5) Blake Gideon, F/S, Texas

6) Matt Conrath, DE, VA

7) Adam Nissley, TE, UCF

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden

Potsie's range in his prime was very near an elite level for a backer. And yet he was still very stout against the run. So he's done now,..time catches up with all of us,...it happens.

I like Hightower,...but i have to say i am concerned about him entering the league at his current weight. Don't get me wrong,... i loved Kirk inside,.. but how long can a backer be productive at the weight of a small lineman ? ( Which is what Hightower will be after three to four seasons)
    he looked a little 'soft' in the middle, which makes me wonder how much of his weight is fat weight....I would be interested to see how much weight he would lose if he toned up.

I honestly dont think he would gain that much weight after becoming a pro. he looked pretty filled out so they would probably not focus on size and give him mass gaining workouts like they would with some rookies. just get him stronger

Hall of Famer

None now. That's why he needs to be replaced.