Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Hines Ward will retire

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Hines Ward will retire

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/09/report-hines-ward-will-retire/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ll-retire/[/url]

Report: Hines Ward will retire

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2012, 11:48 AM EST

With the Steelers facing the start of the long offseason, decisions will start being made about the future of the roster.

One player to watch on that front is Hines Ward. Ward turns 36 in March and after seeing his role cut dramatically in his 14th NFL season, there’s been some talk that he might be ready to call it a career. Ward, who has two years left on his contract, said last month that he hasn’t been thinking about retiring, but a report from Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com on Monday sings a different tune.

Freeman reports that he got a text from a Steelers player after the 29-23 overtime loss to the Broncos saying that the “expectations around the team” are that Ward will not return for another season. The player isn’t Ward so there’s obviously a pretty big grain of salt in the mix, but the 2011 season didn’t provide much evidence of a bright future for Ward.

Whatever future he has might not be in Pittsburgh. With a strong receiving corps in place and a need to get younger before next season, the Steelers might not have a place for Ward on their roster. Cutting ties with a player who has 1,000 career catches and two Super Bowl rings as a Steeler wouldn’t be all that easy, but similar moves have been made before and the Steelers haven’t shown an aversion to making tough decisions like that in the past.

If this is the end for Ward, you can bet there will be a spirited debate about his Hall of Fame credentials in a few years. It will be the rare case when a wide receiver’s blocking ability plays a major role in the discussion.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Report: Hines Ward will retire

I can't see him going out like this. He has too much honor.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's done. and we need the money towards the salary cap.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

This last offseason, the Ravens cleaned house getting rid of several long-time stalwarts such as Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, and others.

We are almost guaranteed to be without Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Bryant McFadden, and Chris Kemoeatu next year. We may also not have Hines Ward, James Farrior, Casey Hampton, and Charlie Batch. Big changes afoot...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Best of luck to Ward with whatever he decides.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    This last offseason, the Ravens cleaned house getting rid of several long-time stalwarts such as Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, and others.

We are almost guaranteed to be without Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Bryant McFadden, and Chris Kemoeatu next year. We may also not have Hines Ward, James Farrior, Casey Hampton, and Charlie Batch. Big changes afoot...

Changes are needed but I hope they find quality replacements. I can't take a rebuilding year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If true, I hate to see you go, Hines. You have been the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers the past 10 years. You deserved much better than to go out in this train wreck.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wonder who the mole is.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.
    I believe it's been a few years since Casey was re-signed. Or maybe he was restructured to get below the cap for this year? I was thinking Harrison and a few others restructured to help us for this past season.

I think Farrior is still a decent player, but can't play the entire game. He needs to start rotating with Sly. They need to hand over playcalling to someone else then.