Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report: Hines Ward will retire

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Report: Hines Ward will retire

I hope this is the case. I would hate to see next year come down to bitter business decisions among the Steelers and players who gave their heart & soul for the team. This off season will difficult..There will be players and fans who will be finding it difficult to move on. I expect Ward, Smith, Hoke, & Farrior have played their last game as a Steeler and it is up to them how they want their careers come to an end. I would hope they walk away as Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.
    I believe it's been a few years since Casey was re-signed. Or maybe he was restructured to get below the cap for this year? I was thinking Harrison and a few others restructured to help us for this past season.

I think Farrior is still a decent player, but can't play the entire game. He needs to start rotating with Sly. They need to hand over playcalling to someone else then.
    Just looked it up. Hampton re-signed in 2010 - 3 years, $21 million, $11 million guaranteed. So that would mean this would be his last year of that contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.
    I believe it's been a few years since Casey was re-signed. Or maybe he was restructured to get below the cap for this year? I was thinking Harrison and a few others restructured to help us for this past season.

I think Farrior is still a decent player, but can't play the entire game. He needs to start rotating with Sly. They need to hand over playcalling to someone else then.
    2/25/2010: Signed a three-year, $21.3 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $6.5 million signing bonus. In each year, $1 million of his salary depends on Hampton meeting workout and weight standards. 2011: $3.91 million, 2012: $4.89 million, 2013: Free Agent

[url]http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/645/casey-hampton[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ward is done and I believe the reason is because he would be bored sitting on the bench. He's a player. Some guys make a career and a fortune hiding on the bench. Not Hines. He can't sit and watch.

Now he 'could' be coerced into one more season as the 5th-6th WR while adding some coaching duties (grad asst. type role) Guys will get injured and pull hammies and he can step into any WR role for the most part. He still has some cap hit to him and might as well keep him part of that core. I see no reason to push him out yet. Him leaving doesn't save a bunch of money. We will already be absorbing a few other contracts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=NW Steeler]
    Quote Originally Posted by "NW Steeler":3hpx9nb7

Just looked it up. Hampton re-signed in 2010 - 3 years, $21 million, $11 million guaranteed. So that would mean this would be his last year of that contract.[/quote:3hpx9nb7]

I feel they will be drafting a DT in rounds 1 or 2 so 2012 will be his last....IF....His knee injury isn't significant. It appears both he & Starks injured ACLs and Keisel has a severe groin injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Wonder who the mole is.
    Probably Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Either Hampton or Hoke is out. Hard to tell who it will be. Could go Hoke and McClendon early in season and keep Hampton on the pup list if torn ACL. He may be ready midseason and Hoke or McClendon could be hurt by then.
    I wouldn't just cut him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    I can't see him going out like this. He has too much honor.
    If he sticks around I can't see a way that he regains that honor. He entered this season as a starter and he would enter next as a guy fighting for a roster spot.

Backup

User Info Menu

Hines will retire, I believe. Then the Steelers will re-sign Cotchery. He will be the veteran WR next season.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by pick6
    I can't see him going out like this. He has too much honor.
    If he sticks around I can't see a way that he regains that honor. He entered this season as a starter and he would enter next as a guy fighting for a roster spot.

I don't think he has lost his honor. Ability yes, honor no. But I really don't know how this guy feels everyday. His body might be telling him that its a done deal. He's one of the best players in the history of the best sports franchises. I would love to see him come back and give it one more shot even if he is the 5th receiver, Id just want him around when we hoist next year.

There are a few players in a similar position, but Hines is the only one that I feel this strongly about. Not having him on the sideline...it would just be completely different for me.